Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 7

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    So I have a Paleo Lesson Learned (PLL) to add.

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling really anxious and had the munchies. I finally switched over to being mindful about it, and analyzed what was going on. There wasn't anything at work that was setting me off, so I looked at my food. The only big difference was that I'd drunk about 10 oz of Carpe Diem Kombucha. And it has SUGAR added.
    Happy Day!
    Good for you for taking a step back, analyzing the situation, and then taking the appropriate action. I call this the "helicopter" view. When you are hovering in the helicopter, you have a full 360 view of what's going on and your decision-making skills include the whole picture -- versus the body's limited view (ie: I want carbs). I never fully understood the strength of the mind over the body until I became an ultra endurance athlete. The mind is so much stronger than the body if you can tap into those powers on a consistent basis. The body is more like a toddler child, impatient, self-centered and impulsive. When we indulge those whims, we end up feeling disappointed in ourselves, weak and frustrated. Again, congratulations for taking the helicopter view and working through the challenge. Onto another day!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Day 10 of 30:
    Calories: 1,221
    Fat: 95.6gm
    Protein 78.5gm
    Carbs: 13.9gm
    weight: 151.4 (-3lbs) --- there's my swoosh.

Not much to report today. Not much hunger. Ketosis continues to be a monster in energy...but not much interest in food.

/That's all folks!
    Last edited by Louisa655; 09-07-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Day 11 of 30: (Friday)
    Calories: 1014
    Fat: 70.5 - 63%
    Protein 62.6gm - 26%
    Carbs: 29.3gm - 11%
    weight: 149.4 (-5lbs) --- there's my 2nd swoosh in 2 days.

It's Friday and I'm sitting in the garden with my dog, about to crack into my next textbook. Should be a good elective: Strategic Negotiation (Think before you Speak!) --- it's like owning the first fax machine. It's always good to practice your skills with others who know how to 'argue by the rules' -- otherwise it can be an exercise in frustration.

Although I'm happy to see the 149 on the scale, I'm not getting too excited until I'm in the 140's for a consistent week or two consecutively. I've been bouncing around between 149 and 154 for a few weeks, so I feel like it's a nice deja vue but my heart isn't fluttering until I see consistency.

I had my hair done today (that's always a nice treat). I then purchased a tank top and silk sweater for the fall. I tried on the clothes and damn I look good! I came out of the dressing room and I asked the stunning, young sales girl, "Do I look skinny in this?" And she said, "Oh nnnnnnnoooooooooooo -- you don't look too skinny at all". I was killing myself laughing inside because I do look skinny, but she must have misinterpreted my question. She likely thought that I was worried about looking too skinny! Ahahahahahahahah It was hilarious! I know I'm losing weight when the collarbones are more prominent -- it's a good look on me because of my height. The extra weight I was carrying just made me look 'round' rather than toned. I dislike sounding so vain -- apologies for that -- just trying to celebrate the small successes here.

I'm not so sure about the stats in fitfoods.com ---- I had a very small half rack of pork ribs and a salad for lunch and the calories showed up as 845 -- seems a bit inflated.

I won't weight myself again until Monday. The plan is to do a lot of walking (and reading) this weekend.

Cheers, everyone -- hope you all had a great week as you move into your weekends. /louisa

/That's all folks!
    F, 48, 5'10"

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    When we indulge those whims, we end up feeling disappointed in ourselves, weak and frustrated.
    This is sooooooo true!! We had a happy hour a week ago, and I remember looking at the cookies and thinking. You know? I think I'll have one of those. And then I paused for a moment, and thought back to other times I've given in at parties and remembered that they really don't taste all that good, and moment is fleeting, and then long term I'm stuck with a few day stall as my body catches up... Anyway, I decided not to have one, then I got distracted, and the next thing I knew the party was over and I was helping to clean everything up. Then I remembered the cookies again, of course they were all gone. And I was so happy, because I didn't feel deprived, only happy that I hadn't caved and made the gluten sensitivity flare up.

Okay, so Louisa! I LOVE what the sales girl said to you! And no, it's not vain. I think that it's good to celebrate our successes. Come as they may.

Okay, so I caught some travelers bug a couple weeks ago, and I've been trying to eat probiotics like crazy to help me build things back up, and I think the yeasts in the kombucha did a number on me! That and the cheese/broccoli casserole I made... I've not been feeling too good the past few days.

Also, a note to those of you ketogenic fellows out there. It's not a very good idea to eat a TON of fiber when you haven't been eating a ton of fiber for a while. (That, and I was sick, so my gut flora is non existent...) According to SparkPeople, the casserole I made was 83% fat, and I don't remember the other numbers off hand, but they were good ratios. Anyway, yeah, I ODed. Waaaaaaayyyyyyyy to much fiber. I'll leave it at that.

Just juiced myself some fresh carrot juice. Will it bump me out of ketosis. Heck yes. But carrot juice is supposed to be good for your gut... so I'm having a tall glass.

Also, a note to those of you ketogenic fellows out there. It's not a very good idea to eat a TON of fiber when you haven't been eating a ton of fiber for a while. (That, and I was sick, so my gut flora is non existent...) According to SparkPeople, the casserole I made was 83% fat, and I don't remember the other numbers off hand, but they were good ratios. Anyway, yeah, I ODed. Waaaaaaayyyyyyyy to much fiber. I'll leave it at that.
    I hear you on the 'way too much fibre' topic. When I first started taking magnesium, I mis-read the directions, and I was taking 3 Tablespoons a day versus the correct amount of 2 teaspoons. Funny thing is that I was giving my husband the same dose ;p Looooong story short: The only thing that could have improved my 'overdose on magnesium week' would have been a voluntary colonoscopy --- God knows I was good and ready for it. Finally I realized the errors of my measuring ....and I adjusted the dosage. Unfortunately, my husband has declined taking any more of it: Poor man -- he likely couldn't leave the bathroom for the entire week ;-)
    F, 48, 5'10"

Paleobird Guest
    I finished doing a four day fast last night with a break-fast meal of marrow bones (cuz I felt like it). They had a little meat around the shank but mostly I was eating all that fatty yumminess inside.

I had lost 5 pounds on the fast and usually you bounce back up most of what you lost the minute you eat. Well this morning I was only up one of those five pounds. Hmmm. Perhaps lesson learned is that, when in fat burning mode, throw some more fat on the fire.
    I think the reason that people usually gain it all back so fast is that they reach for the carbs therefore bloat city. The bone marrow was what was calling to me last night. I had zero interest in fruit or potatoes.

Oh no Louisa! I'm laughing, albeit with you, I've had my fare share of magnesium, ahem, overdoses as well. Can definitely relate.

Paleobird, interesting lesson learned. I think there is something to your hypothesis, about what people choose to refuel with. 4 days seems a little long. Was it to experiment with the seizures/and health?

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird, interesting lesson learned. I think there is something to your hypothesis, about what people choose to refuel with. 4 days seems a little long. Was it to experiment with the seizures/and health?
    Yes. I am not really looking to lose any more weight at this point. But there is very interesting research that goes back to the ancient Greeks about fasting as a permanent cure in some cases for epilepsy. I'm thinking of this 4 day one I did as kind of a warm up for a longer one like 7-10 days sometime this fall (as soon as the weather is cooler).

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes. I am not really looking to lose any more weight at this point. But there is very interesting research that goes back to the ancient Greeks about fasting as a permanent cure in some cases for epilepsy. I'm thinking of this 4 day one I did as kind of a warm up for a longer one like 7-10 days sometime this fall (as soon as the weather is cooler).
    Very, very interesting, and good luck!!! Please let us know how it goes.

Paleobird Guest
    Another interesting thing was that, after that one very keto break-fast meal of marrow bones, I didn't get hungry at all yesterday. I finally nibbled a little cheese and a handful of pine nuts before bed but I could have skipped them entirely. And again this morning I'm just not hungry. It's like the fat burning machinery is running just fine and says, "Nah, thanks but we don't need any food, body fat is nom."

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast