Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primalperson1 View Post
    Paleobird-- 61 to 102 sounds good to me. I can be comfortable with that.

So here's the way my newest calorie/nutrient distribution looks: 10% carb, 20 % protein, and 70% fat. I think that's OK for weight loss. What do you think?
    That's about what my macros average out to also. I limit protein to 75g. Carbs to 50 (net) but I've been hitting lower than that. Then the rest fat for a total for about 1500/day.

primalperson1 is offline Junior Member
    Paleobird--you really helped me alot! Thank you. Now I feel like I have the correct range to shoot for each day.....much easier to go this way. I agree with you about Dr. G and the greens---I understand what he's talking about re: the cardiac aspects of high protein, but I can't eat the way he recommends in the last phase. He has a new book coming out at the end of this year.
    He's a really nice guy--I met with him in person in April and he set me straight about my diet.

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird--you really helped me alot! Thank you. Now I feel like I have the correct range to shoot for each day.....much easier to go this way. I agree with you about Dr. G and the greens---I understand what he's talking about re: the cardiac aspects of high protein, but I can't eat the way he recommends in the last phase. He has a new book coming out at the end of this year.
    He's a really nice guy--I met with him in person in April and he set me straight about my diet.
    Yep. I think Dr. G has a lot of good info going. That was where I first heard about the evolutionary premise behind this WOE and about how recent grains are in the human diet. I also think his premise about a genetic kill switch mechanism to get rid of non productive members of the tribe has some merit.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Day 9 - Wed Aug 5th, 2012

Sorry for the delay in posts. Just coming off a great long weekend, filled with friends, laughter, great food and great weather. Here's the skinny and some Paleo Learning Lessons (PLL).

Days 5-7:
    We hosted two dinner parties this past weekend, and had a wonderful brunch with friends of ours. Food is a big theme with our friends and since they are all great athletes, weight is not an issue. Therefore, there are lots of baked goods, high carb foods and no shortage of great wines and beer etc.

I ate clean from Saturday through until Sunday. Sunday, I relented and had a piece of pie from our local farmer's market and it was delicious. I have no guilt issues when it comes to food.

Here's my interesting learning lessons though:
    1. I've been eating very low carb <20grams/daily and alcohol can have quite a strong effect on the body. I had a glass of wine and a gin and tonic on the Sunday and was regretting it by Monday morning. I actually felt so ill compared to feeling amazing while in the state of Ketosis -- that I had a discussion with my husband that I may choose to give up alcohol altogether. That's pretty profound for me as I do enjoy a glass of wine. The feel good feelings in ketosis are so strong, that the contrast of poor feelings when consuming alcohol is something to pay attention to.

2. Significan lesson here. Given that I had pie, and two drinks, I thought that I would be knocked out of ketosis for the next 5 days. That doesn't seem to be the case. The pie and alcohol did not trigger cravings so by Monday morning, I was right back to clean eating. I believe I was back into ketosis by Monday night. Today is Wednesday, and I'm definitely back into ketosis this morning.

Here are a few numbers from yesterday's menu. The calories are too low, but I was not feeling too hungry (perhaps because of consuming greater calories over the weekend?).

Here are the numbers:

Total Calories: 650
    Fat: 53gr: 67%
    Carbs: 10gr: 6%
    Protein 35.1gr: 25%

Weight was up again to 154lbs (+3lbs).

I purchased a new dress three weeks ago that was a little snug around the hip area. I slipped into the dress this past weekend and it's just falling off me. So, that's a positive that despite the fact that I'm bouncing weight between 149-154lbs, the body seems to be re-organizaing fat stores.

My sister and brother-in-law were over on Monday with their baby. My sister's husband can really bounce around in weight and he is a bit of a sugar/carbie. My sister is losing muscle mass: She is vegetarian for about 25+years. I gave them the Primal BluePrint book but they both seem dubious (that's the usual response I get). My sister is not getting enough protein and I think she is very tired all the time, juggling baby and work.

That's all for now. I have my bullet coffee and ready for another busy day. I'll try to get back to daily posting in the evenings.

Hope everyone out there is having a good week by eating and exercising well.

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Hi everybody!
    I just joined Mark's and I'm really enjoying the conversations here. Can one of you clue me in as to how to measure for ketosis? I know what ketosis is but I think I should be checking for it. I have completely changed my diet since January-no grains, no lectins, no fruit or sugar, grass fed beef, goat cheese or French cheese (cuz its grass fed), some butter (from grass fed cows--Kerrygold)....anyway my weight loss has not been good. So I am looking for ways to keep myself motivated and continuing to change. I think tracking ketosis might be a good thing since my carbs are about 20 or so per day.....Carol
    Carol: Sounds like you are on the right path. You'll just know when you are in ketosis. For me, it's a feeling of being very calm, grounded and centered. I have an abundance of energy and can go long periods of time without eating and without cravings. From time to time, I will sense the ketosis smell on me, but that's generally around 5-6am (which makes sense since my dinner is generally 5pm the night before (I don't snack). I then have a bullet coffee in the morning (coffee + 1/2-1cup of conconut milk, and then have a small lunch around noon and dinner again around 5pm. My body seems to have gravitated towards 2 meals per day and that works for me. My sense is also that my core body temperature is slightly elevated. I'm generally a "cold, tall person" who can be seen to wear long-sleeves in the summer ;-) I feel warmer now as though my circulation has improved. Let us know how you make out with your keto sticks.

cheers/louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Primal Day 10 - Sept 5

#'s for today:

Day 10 of 30:

Total Calories: 1,054
    Fat: 92.6g
    Carbs: 17.1g
    Protein: 48g.

Today's Weight 154 lbs

B-Fast:
    Bullet Coffee x 2 + 1 cup coconut milk

Lunch:
    2 fried eggs
    3 pieces bacon
    1 small mixed green salad

Dinner:
    1/2 Kobe Burger (not very hungry tonight).
    1 yellow zucchenni
    1 green zucchenni
    1 small piece of double brie cheese
    6 olives

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Workout - None today.

Sleep Patterns:
    Wake up: 6am
    Sleep: 8-9pm
    Total sleep hours on average: 9-10 per night

Energy Levels: (0 - 10) **** 0 is the lowest and 10 being the highest:

9-10
    Busy day at work so wasn't overly interested in my dinner. Taking it easy tonight -- I have one more week off and then I start another course so my day will be extra full shortly. Weight is the same at 154lbs but feeling like a swoosh is coming soon. My pants are falling off me and even my belt won't work any longer. So, first pair of pants that I'm folding up and putting away. I can still fake with my other clothes for now. All good.
    Last edited by Louisa655; 09-06-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

lissee is offline Senior Member
    So I have a Paleo Lesson Learned (PLL) to add. :)

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling really anxious and had the munchies. I finally switched over to being mindful about it, and analyzed what was going on. There wasn't anything at work that was setting me off, so I looked at my food. The only big difference was that I'd drunk about 10 oz of Carpe Diem Kombucha. And it has SUGAR added.

I've been having a little kombucha every day for the past week, but today I decided to drink the rest of it. And anyway, I realized that it pushed me far enough out of ketosis that I was in that carby hell Paleobird mentioned. It wasn't fun.

Anyway, I just chewed some gum (probably not paleo I know) and then a couple of hours later I realized I was back in the good zone so all was well. :) Happy Day!

Also, congrats Louisa on the loose dress & pants!!! So very exciting!

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, I used to love kombucha but I had to break off the affair. I told him it wasn't him it was me and that it just wasn't going to work out. Very sad. I miss him but I know we weren't meant for each other.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lol

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast