Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 5

primalperson1 is offline Junior Member
    Hi everybody!
    I just joined Mark's and I'm really enjoying the conversations here. Can one of you clue me in as to how to measure for ketosis? I know what ketosis is but I think I should be checking for it. I have completely changed my diet since January-no grains, no lectins, no fruit or sugar, grass fed beef, goat cheese or French cheese (cuz its grass fed), some butter (from grass fed cows--Kerrygold)....anyway my weight loss has not been good. So I am looking for ways to keep myself motivated and continuing to change. I think tracking ketosis might be a good thing since my carbs are about 20 or so per day.....Carol

I take magnesium every other day or so, and it does take away any muscle cramping.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Thanks Paleobird! I'm feeling better and better about my goal every day. And it's true that it's very easy to carry extra weight when you're taller. It's one thing I've been thankful for. Of course, then you hit that tipping point and then you're just huge and tall, which is not really a good combination... It's nice to hear that you were also above 200 when you started, and that you were able to successfully whittle it all down.

I've been so very grateful to find the paleo/primal way of eating. I never really ate junk food (HFCS gives me headaches) and I just wasn't into the processed crap very much. But looking back, I see that I've been insulin resistant for years (a decade at least) and then I'm gluten & wheat intolerant, and that really messed things up. The pounds just packed on over the years and no matter what I did, they just stuck. So finding this way of eating which makes me happy, is healthy, AND is helping me lose the weight has been such a VERY huge thing for me.

So re: ketogenic eating, I've been trying to follow my cravings in kind of an intuitive way of eating. I tracked my calories today and yesterday, and my calories are up and down which is fine, I'm eating when I feel hungry, so I ate 1950 calories yesterday and only 1327 today. But yesterday my macros were 75% fat, 19% protein and 6% carbs and today, 78% fat, 10% protein, and 12% carbs. I have a very subtle craving for the ribeye steak sitting in my fridge, I'll cook it up tomorrow (it's too late to eat it tonight), and today my protein was low so the craving is in line with needing more protein. Also, I had blueberries w/creme fraiche today (was delicious!) and it pushed my carbs higher than I wanted, but the decadent goodness of the combination was worth the extra carbs.

Anyway, I was wondering, is eating more than 70% fat okay? I mean today it was almost 80%... I feel good, I feel strong. I do have that craving for a good steak, but that only started at 8:00 pm tonight. Just wondering what you all think.
    Yep, there was just some kind of a line that was crossed for me mentally when the nurse moved the weight on the bottom bar of the scale over from the 150 spot to the 200 spot. I just said, no, this is not where I am headed. I remember being able to move that weight back to the 150 slot very fondly. When you are tall and heavy people refer to you as "a big girl". God, I hated that.
    It sounds like your macros are good and your body is signaling you when it needs something clearly. I average out at 70/20/10 but not every day is exactly that. Eat that steak.

Regarding muscle cramps. Most cases can be cured simply by drinking some more water and adding a bit more salt to your diet. IF that doesn't fix it THEN maybe play around with some supplements but it is really easy to get the balance of your electrolytes all out of whack. It's not just about grams its about ratios.

Primalperson1, you can buy something called Ketostix at any drugstore, usually kept where the diabetic testing supplies are. They are a urine test strip. 20 carb grams per day already is pretty low. Careful not to eat too much protein and you should be there.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-02-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks Paleo bird!
    How much protein should I aim for? I'm between 75 and 120 g's per day now and that seems fine to me. My carbs are between 20 and 50 and I'm OK there, too.

I think I'll go get the ketosticks. MY DH has done Atkins on and off for years, so I remember those ketosticks now. My friend is doing the Whole30 and she just started checking daily, so I am on her heels. I've got to get this weight loss going. I have 20 lbs to lose and I want to move it along.....I feel stuck and I don't like it! Thanks for the comments!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalperson1 View Post
    Thanks Paleo bird!
    How much protein should I aim for? I'm between 75 and 120 g's per day now and that seems fine to me. My carbs are between 20 and 50 and I'm OK there, too.
    Sounds like you are good on carbs. That is half the battle. Most people have trouble keeping them that low. Protein requirements are based on your size so I would need to know height, weight, and goal weight. Excess protein can keep you out of ketosis.

Cool My stats

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sounds like you are good on carbs. That is half the battle. Most people have trouble keeping them that low. Protein requirements are based on your size so I would need to know height, weight, and goal weight. Excess protein can keep you out of ketosis.
    Here's my stats:
    Ht 5'6"
    Wt 170
    GW 150

I gave up processed foods over a year ago, probably almost 2 years ago now.....its been a gradual letting go process. Now I think I have my food choices pretty clear, but I still need to get the numbers in line because when I'm eating 1600 calories per day, I'm not losing weight. But if I eat very low cal, I just feel deprived.
    So I think if I get the protein, fat and carbs in line (and I'm close) I should be able to feel like i'm losing.

I work out 6 days per week moderately: walk approx. 2 miles, recumbent bike 30 min at level 5 or 6 burning 150 calories or so, 15 minute stretch--some days I do more than that but that is a minimum

Carol

Paleobird Guest
    Well there are several formulas out there for figuring protein needs.

Mark says Lean body mass x .7 So if you were guessing about 20% body Fat at your ideal of 150 your LBM would be 120x.7=84

Dr Phinney of Low Carbohydrate Living says Goal weight in kilos (68 for you) x 1.5 =102 (this is an upper limit)

Dr. Jan Kwasniewski of the Optimal Diet says Ideal weight in kilos is the number of grams of protein so for you=68 ( he add +/-10% depending on activity level. So anywhere from 61 to 75 for you)

Since I am aiming for deep sustained ketosis, I try for the formula that gives the lower amount, Dr. JK. But you decide which one works for you. If you feel like you are doing well on carbs and it sounds like you are but not yet feeling/seeing the benefits of ketosis, pushing protein a little lower may be an option to explore.

Adriana29 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalperson1 View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I just joined Mark's and I'm really enjoying the conversations here. Can one of you clue me in as to how to measure for ketosis? I know what ketosis is but I think I should be checking for it. I have completely changed my diet since January-no grains, no lectins, no fruit or sugar, grass fed beef, goat cheese or French cheese (cuz its grass fed), some butter (from grass fed cows--Kerrygold)....anyway my weight loss has not been good. So I am looking for ways to keep myself motivated and continuing to change. I think tracking ketosis might be a good thing since my carbs are about 20 or so per day.....Carol
    Hi Carol,

you can measure for ketosis with urinalysis reagent test strips for ketone, like ketostix. This works well the first few weeks or months, but once your body is adapted to burn ketones efficiently there might not be many ketones lost in urine, so you could get false negative results. You can also measure ketones in your blood, for this you need a ketone meter, which is usually a combined blood glucose and ketone meter, like the Precision Xtra Advanced or the Nova Max Plus. They are not so expensive (around 20-40 $), but the ketone testing strips definetely are! Take a look at Amazone.com. I think I read in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Volek and Phinney that a range of blood ketones between 1 - 2 mmol/l is o.k. for ketosis, if I remember right...
    Only 20 g of carbs per day sounds too low to me. Please read what Mark has to say on ketosis in his blog.

I hope I could help you.

Greetings from Germany

Adriana

Adriana--thank you for the information...my friend uses one of those meters and frankly I had never heard of before. So I'm glad to hear about it from you. I need to get accurate information, and for sure I want to avoid false negatives as I will get discouraged. So I'm going to look into getting a meter. I have measured my glucose levels before so I figure this is rather similar?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paleobird-- 61 to 102 sounds good to me. I can be comfortable with that.

So here's the way my newest calorie/nutrient distribution looks: 10% carb, 20 % protein, and 70% fat. I think that's OK for weight loss. What do you think?

I tend to be pretty high in fat daily because I use full fat coconut milk in my coffee in the morning. I use 1/3 cup or 1/4 C for one cup of coffee and I'm fine with that. Plus I use about 3 TBS of EVOO in a salad daily. That plus whatever meat I eat puts me over 60% fat.

Adriana--where are you at in Germany? My family is from Germany--my grandmother.

Carol
    Last edited by primalperson1; 09-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast