Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Jumped out of bed at 6 am with more energy than I know what to do with -- 9 hours of solid sleep does the trick. Not hungry so skipping breakfast and going with the bullet coffee: Large coffee with 1/2 cup coconut milk. Good until 12Noon when I ate leftovers from last night's dinner. Why is it that 2 cups of lean ground beef, sauteed with vegetables, is so dense in calories and fat? That lunch almost ruined my dinner as I'm trying to keep protein down and increase in fat. The result today, is that I'm too high in protein so I'll have to adjust tomorrow. Too bad because we had grass fed steaks tonight and I only had 4 ozs with a pile of vegetables with butter and coconut oil. I could have easily given away my first child for a glass of wine but I'm hanging tough here -- no alcohol for 34 days (breathing deeply). Anyway, the stats are below --- as you can see the scale just isn't budging --- maybe my body is rebelling in the absence of red wine. Anyway, keeping the faith, and waiting for the -10 lbs woosh

9-10
    Ketosis (which is where I believe I am), is like a feel good drug. I feel relaxed, happy, friendly, full of energy---singing in my car all the way to work "Roxanne dododo ddod dododo dodo...." I'll be up late working on this paper so it won't be 9 hours of sleep tonight. I'd like to see the scale move in a general downwards direction but my body loves 150.......we'll see who wins this war
    I feel like singing James Brown's famous "awwwww......I feel GOOD!"
    I was at a set point of 180 for 5 months then dropped to 150. New setpoints are possible.
    Keep breathing deeply when the red wine monster comes along. It may just be the siren song of carbs trying to convince you that "just one glass won't hurt anything". Put the wax in your ears and keep rowing.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 6'3" guy so I definitely love to see some "Amazons" around (it's so hard to find tall women these days!)

To the OP: I saw you had sour cream on day 2, are you allowing dairy?

I just completed a Whole30, where the first couple weeks went great, and then had a totally falling off the wagon. I learned from that lesson that dairy is completely and totally cool with me specifically and that back on 80/20 primal it's essential. Just curious if you or anyone else has had similar findings on dairy changes. If you care to see my experimental values, see here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post941903
    Last edited by impala454; 08-30-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    -Chuck

Paleobird Guest
    I don't think I could maintain ketosis and my sanity at the same time without dairy products. There just wouldn't be enough variety. I only eat the higher fat content dairy products however. I don't drink regular milk except for an occasional treat of raw goat milk when my friend' goats are feeling productive. Just too much lactose involved. I'm not intolerant digestively, just don't need all those carbs.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    I'm a 6'3" guy so I definitely love to see some "Amazons" around (it's so hard to find tall women these days!)

To the OP: I saw you had sour cream on day 2, are you allowing dairy?

: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post941903
    Impala454: Thanks for stopping by. I was following your Whole30 last month and visited your results page. It's great that you've figured out how your body behaves to various food groups --- knowledge is half the battle.

As for dairy --I'm not a big dairy person. I don't care for milk but I do like a bit of sour cream from time to time and high fat, greek yogourt. For this Whole 30, yogourt has been eliminated. I likely won't have sour cream for the remainder of the month.

I'm thinking that the Amazon title for tall ladies has to go -- it's unflattering. I'm open to suggestions, and throwing out the name "Long Tally Sally's" -- hope nobody's name is Sally on the forum. Just a thought.

I'm going to stick out this 3rd consecutive Whole 30. I believe I've reached my setpoint which is 150 and we'll see who is going to win this battle --- my body or my will. Thanks for your input and feel free to jump on this train, should you feel so inclined.
    Best/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Aww I rather liked the moniker, makes me think of a tall, beautiful version of the Primal Blueprint logo
    -Chuck

Paleobird Guest
    How about "Xena's Warriors"? I always thought Lucy Lawless was cool. 6 feet tall in flat heeled boots with enough upper body strength to really swing a broadsword. I want a Xena costume for Halloween.

Re the milk thing. I think that is one of the places where I part company with the whole 30 folks. I really don't think dairy is evil across the board. I think it is good for a person to do an elimination trial to see what works (or doesn't ) for them.

Day 4 of Whole 30 *3Months
    Another 9 hours of sleep last night with a fantastic 6 am start. I haven't used an alarm clock in 4 years and I always wake up naturally. It's amazing to me how amazing I feel. I was hungry this morning but had my normal bullet coffee (large coffee with 1/2 cup coconut milk). I was getting hungry before lunch, so ate early (11am). I'm so busy at work that the time flies and I was very hungry on my way home from work but nothing that I couldn't manage. Interestingly, I feel as though I've eaten so much today, but the numbers are low -- maybe too low, in fact. Feel free to comment on that aspect. But here's the good news, the scale is on the way down again, after about a 2-week stall. Down to 151.4 lbs today. I'll take that success. I think my body is getting to understand that the mental toughness is not going away anytime soon. I'm still wanting a glass of red wine, particularly since it's Friday night of a long weekend. However, I have an assignment due tonight and I'm under the gun to get it done. The interesting point is that I'm not feeling the stress and anxiety that I normally do when struggling to meet these numerous deadlines. Without further adieu, numbers for today:

Total Calories: 999
    Fat: 84.3 grams =74%
    Carbs: 11 grams = 4%
    Protein: 52 grams = 22%

Today's Weight 151.4 lbs (woot woot!)

B-Fast:
    8 oz coffee with 2ozs coconut milk

Lunch:
    2 fried eggs and 2 pieces of bacon

Pre-Dinner Snack:
    1 Tbsp Marscapone Cheese
    6 Olives
    1 oz piece of grassfed steak (leftovers)

Dinner:
    3 ozs grass fed steak (re-leftovers)
    yellow beans (a pile)
    Spring onions
    big glass of water

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Workout - None yet and likely nothing tonight, given my assignment deadline.

Sleep Patterns:
    Wake up: 6am
    Sleep: 8-9pm
    Total sleep hours on average: 9 per night

Energy Levels: (0 - 10) **** 0 is the lowest and 10 being the highest:

9-10
    Ketosis and I are warming up to a great love affair. Never felt better in my life. High energy; great mood; stress-free and perhaps funnier than usual (that's subjective). My point is, unless my hair starts falling out by the handfuls, I'm staying in Ketosis land as long as possible. By the way, the yearning for wine is a little less, but happy to have this assignment to keep my mind occupied. I have a 10am brunch tomorrow (yes, there will be alcohol -- it's how we roll) --- but I'm remaining strong. Thanks all, and open for comments/critiques/thoughts or heckling. ps. I'm posting photos tomorrow --- BE KIND, everyone!

Calculating Louisa’s HSIS Weight, based on ideal BMI of 20%:

5’10” = 1.778M
    20*1.778*1.778 = 63.2kg
    63.2kg x 2.2 lbs = 139.04lbs
    Lean Body Mass = (1-0.2) * 139.04 = 111.232gm Protein Per Day
    Last edited by Louisa655; 08-31-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    How about "Xena's Warriors"? I always thought Lucy Lawless was cool. 6 feet tall in flat heeled boots with enough upper body strength to really swing a broadsword. I want a Xena costume for Halloween.

Re the milk thing. I think that is one of the places where I part company with the whole 30 folks. I really don't think dairy is evil across the board. I think it is good for a person to do an elimination trial to see what works (or doesn't ) for them.
    I'm down with Zena's Warriors --- with the proviso that we aren't nix'ing waxing and shaving from the list of paleo behaviours. I'll roll with being a warrior --- but making it clear that I'm a smooth warrior.....
    F, 48, 5'10"

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    snoops, make yourself some crab cakes! No reason your husband should get all the yummy stuff, just use almond flour with some spices instead of bread crumbs. I've not actually made crab cakes but I've made salmon cakes and I'm sure it's basically the same And as for Amazon's, I've always thought of Amazon's as gorgeous strong women, I don't see anything derogatory in the name at all. I'm not tall, but I sure believe in being strong!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Ketosis and I are warming up to a great love affair. Never felt better in my life. High energy; great mood; stress-free and perhaps funnier than usual (that's subjective). My point is, unless my hair starts falling out by the handfuls, I'm staying in Ketosis land as long as possible. By the way, the yearning for wine is a little less, but happy to have this assignment to keep my mind occupied.

I'm down with Zena's Warriors --- with the proviso that we aren't nix'ing waxing and shaving from the list of paleo behaviours. I'll roll with being a warrior --- but making it clear that I'm a smooth warrior.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Isfahel View Post
    snoops, make yourself some crab cakes! No reason your husband should get all the yummy stuff, just use almond flour with some spices instead of bread crumbs. I've not actually made crab cakes but I've made salmon cakes and I'm sure it's basically the same And as for Amazon's, I've always thought of Amazon's as gorgeous strong women, I don't see anything derogatory in the name at all. I'm not tall, but I sure believe in being strong!
    An epic love affair indeed. And Isfahel is right. You can use almond or crushed pork rinds as an alternative binder in crab cakes.
    IIRC Xena always had perfectly shaved pits. How she did that while living out of a saddlebag, we will never know.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast