Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    I'm 5'9 1/2..can I join your amazon primal club?

I just started a journal myself about getting to ketosis and staying there for a while. Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers..

B
    Awesome: Let's exchange notes and experiences and see how this thing goes. I really don't have many expectations -- it's all an experiment of one for myself. Just finished my 10km power walk and feel great - - could have kept going. But it's 9:03pm EST, and I've got to get my sleep -- it's power lifting tomorrow :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I have been in Ketosis since June 1st and have never felt better. I have lost 45 pounds and am never really hungry either.
    ecole66: Wow, good for you. Any downside to being in Ketosis that long? Also, are there any foods that you would avoid or foods that you recommend?
    Thanks/louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The day after booze I would have crazy cravings that I never used to have. So, chalk it up to learning experiences and go on. This time I'm going booze free.

My question is this. Did eating clean make us more sensitive or was this reaction always there but we just never noticed it?
    Paleobird: That's a reasonable question. When I was in full mode training (30 hours per week), I never drank -- not so much as a drop. Alcohol interferes with metabolism, recovery and a billion other things. However, here is my personal experience with working out and getting fit: The more I work out, the less desire I have for alcohol. I have a similar experience with sugar: Haven't had any since November 2011 and there are no cravings for it. Because I know that making dinner and sipping on a glass of red wine is a trigger for me, I've anticipated that and run interference purposefully. On Monday night, I made 3 dinners which are in the refrigerator. Rather than coming home from working and starting to cook dinner, I head right to my workout equipment and get started. Then, I'm ready to eat dinner once the workout is out of the way. Once I've worked out, I have an aversion to alcohol, so this routine is working well. We'll see what happens this long weekend with the bunch of parties and dinners (I'm hosting 2 dinners), with friends hosting another.

Paleo: Did you have the same experience with wines versus a vodka martini? Just wondering if there was a difference --- that may be the theme for the Whole 30 - October ---- kind of a James Bond experiment.....
    F, 48, 5'10"

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Paleobird: That's a reasonable question. When I was in full mode training (30 hours per week), I never drank -- not so much as a drop. Alcohol interferes with metabolism, recovery and a billion other things. However, here is my personal experience with working out and getting fit: The more I work out, the less desire I have for alcohol. I have a similar experience with sugar: Haven't had any since November 2011 and there are no cravings for it. Because I know that making dinner and sipping on a glass of red wine is a trigger for me, I've anticipated that and run interference purposefully. On Monday night, I made 3 dinners which are in the refrigerator. Rather than coming home from working and starting to cook dinner, I head right to my workout equipment and get started. Then, I'm ready to eat dinner once the workout is out of the way. Once I've worked out, I have an aversion to alcohol, so this routine is working well. We'll see what happens this long weekend with the bunch of parties and dinners (I'm hosting 2 dinners), with friends hosting another.

Paleo: Did you have the same experience with wines versus a vodka martini? Just wondering if there was a difference --- that may be the theme for the Whole 30 - October ---- kind of a James Bond experiment.....
    This. Exactly. I felt like I spent five days digging myself out of a metabolic hole just to get back to baseline (which when you are in keto is that Yay! I <3 Keto!!! and I want to shout about it from the rooftops feeling).

The first indulgence was sugar heavy as well as booze. It involved two glasses of iced strawberry wine at a hot street fair which then made the honey vodka and soda I had next sound like a good idea. This was compounded by a big bar platter of deep fried greasiness munchies which also sounded like good idea at the time.

On the second indulgence it was just two glasses of a good red at a party I had with perfectly primal food that I cooked. So there wasn't the sugar or the evil oils factor involved. But I still felt like crap warmed over the next day, all bloated and sluggish with bags under my eyes. And I even got to sleep at the same time as always.

So I really think that I am better off swearing off the sauce altogether. I'm not even drinking enough of it to get much of a buzz anyway. It's just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The first indulgence was sugar heavy as well as booze. It involved two glasses of iced strawberry wine at a hot street fair which then made the honey vodka and soda I had next sound like a good idea. This was compounded by a big bar platter of deep fried greasiness munchies which also sounded like good idea at the time.

I can see how it seemed like a good idea at the time. Personally, I would have been slow dancing with my face in the toilet if I consumed those sweet drinks --- I like a good stiff martini from time to time and nothing beats a robust Gamay with a nice piece of beef.

On the second indulgence it was just two glasses of a good red at a party I had with perfectly primal food that I cooked. So there wasn't the sugar or the evil oils factor involved. But I still felt like crap warmed over the next day, all bloated and sluggish with bags under my eyes. And I even got to sleep at the same time as always.

That's the problem with alcohol of any time --- then you miss your workout or don't feel like hiking as you lie on the couch all day --- no good for us and no good for the dogs!

So I really think that I am better off swearing off the sauce altogether. I'm not even drinking enough of it to get much of a buzz anyway. It's just not worth it.
    I wouldn't be shocked if I swear off alcohol after this whole 30. What I do know is that it takes a great deal of work to create a great body composition and once you attain that level of fitness and good feeling --- it's not worth messing things up with alcohol. We shall see.
    F, 48, 5'10"

snoops is offline Senior Member
    May I join the amazon club? I'm 5'10" only quite a bit stockier than you all. My ideal weight would be close to 170 and my "will live with" weight is about 185!! That puts me at a size 12-14 and that makes me happy. My wrists are larger that dh who is 6'4"!! Our leg length is also the same!! LOL Very short waisted here. That said I have about 40 to lose...

I am having similar issues to you in regard to the alcohol. Love my red wine while making dinner but then it turns into 2 or 3. If I do nothing else but drop that I lose weight. Took a month off it when I hurt my back and felt really good. However I have been having a bit of a pity party lately. Have ditched grains, firstly for health and secondly for a gluten intolerance. Heart burn and reflux gone. Cravings mostly gone. Losing weight. So now I am thinking about ditching the wine too.

Here's my problem. I love food. I love to cook. I read recipe magazines. I love to eat. So the grains are gone and that cuts out a lot of my favorite foods. Cut out the wine too and I have nothing to look forward to. Made hubby a nice salad the other day(shrimp, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, avocado) and started crying as we were eating because it just didn't taste all that great to me. He was having crab cakes (bread crumbs in them) and rice. I really wanted the crab cakes. Its like I have nothing to look forward to anymore. Oh yeah because I really dont like meat. I'll eat eggs, cheese, bacon, sliced meat. Eating a chunk of flesh does nothing for me.

Sorry I have derailed the thread somewhat. Your issues just resonated with me and I have not really posted much on this forum yet. I am really interested in trying the ketosis route to see about dropping this extra weight I am carrying. But I just don't know what else to eat. And need to get past the poor me thing too. I should eat to live but I live to eat.

Interesting also about the training and eating well. When I am working out a lot I do tend to eat better. I've just gotten back to the gym after a back issue so maybe that will help me out.

I am going to watch your progress and maybe join in at some point.

Thanks for posting your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    May I join the amazon club? I'm 5'10" only quite a bit stockier than you all. My ideal weight would be close to 170 and my "will live with" weight is about 185!! That puts me at a size 12-14 and that makes me happy. My wrists are larger that dh who is 6'4"!! Our leg length is also the same!! LOL Very short waisted here. That said I have about 40 to lose...

I am having similar issues to you in regard to the alcohol. Love my red wine while making dinner but then it turns into 2 or 3. If I do nothing else but drop that I lose weight. Took a month off it when I hurt my back and felt really good. However I have been having a bit of a pity party lately. Have ditched grains, firstly for health and secondly for a gluten intolerance. Heart burn and reflux gone. Cravings mostly gone. Losing weight. So now I am thinking about ditching the wine too.

Here's my problem. I love food. I love to cook. I read recipe magazines. I love to eat. So the grains are gone and that cuts out a lot of my favorite foods. Cut out the wine too and I have nothing to look forward to. Made hubby a nice salad the other day(shrimp, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, avocado) and started crying as we were eating because it just didn't taste all that great to me. He was having crab cakes (bread crumbs in them) and rice. I really wanted the crab cakes. Its like I have nothing to look forward to anymore. Oh yeah because I really dont like meat. I'll eat eggs, cheese, bacon, sliced meat. Eating a chunk of flesh does nothing for me.

Sorry I have derailed the thread somewhat. Your issues just resonated with me and I have not really posted much on this forum yet. I am really interested in trying the ketosis route to see about dropping this extra weight I am carrying. But I just don't know what else to eat. And need to get past the poor me thing too. I should eat to live but I live to eat.

Interesting also about the training and eating well. When I am working out a lot I do tend to eat better. I've just gotten back to the gym after a back issue so maybe that will help me out.
    Dear Snoops, et al: I'm going to suggest we rename from the Amazon Club to something a little more flattering like "Long, Cool glass of water" or something. Suggestions? I'm thinking of that lovely high school student who joined in the conversation earlier --- I remember feeling like an amazon in school but I don't feel that way any longer.

Snoops: I hear you loud and clear. One of my passions is cooking. When I finish my Masters, I want to take some more cooking classes. My 26 year old son is a graduate from a chef programme and it's nuts what he can do in the kitchen.

If you are in size 12 clothing, then you are still 'okay' for weight. You might shift your thinking from 'weight loss' to reconfiguring your body composition. And if that's important to you, then look upon the process as "I'm giving up X to get Y.

Since I do the cooking in the household (similar to you), I cook paleo and my husband is happy to eat what I make. I'm not going to make him delicious crab cakes while I much on a piece of salad.....I'd be crying, too! I've shifted my cooking skills to make very tasty dinners but leaving out the nasty wheat, sugar, potatoes etc. Us women do not have time to make two dinners, so that's that. I feel your pain on the wine front --- it's my go to while cooking, for sure. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm aware of that trigger, and have taken steps to deal with it. Perhaps try approaching this process a little strategically, knowing what your triggers are.

And lastly, it's so nice to have these long tall cool glasses of water (women over 5'10") because we are fabulous and we can carry additional weight without others knowing it -- what a gift! However, if your goal is to reconfigure that gorgeous frame and maybe move into a size 10 -- well that's doable, too. Let us know what you think and whether you can shift your thinking from "damn I want to crabcakes" to "I want x" and therefore I'm prepared to do "Y" to get there.
    F, 48, 5'10"

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Louisa. Some good thoughts. A lot of it is mental isnt it. Just need to work on changing the language. I like your ideas. But I only WISH I was a size 12. Thats what I would be once I lose this 40 lbs!! My writing is not always crystal clear. LOL. I need to work on coming up with a new list of nice meals that I can enjoy making and eating that do not include grains. More salads incorporating protein. And maybe limit wine to the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    Thanks Louisa. Some good thoughts. A lot of it is mental isnt it. Just need to work on changing the language. I like your ideas. But I only WISH I was a size 12. Thats what I would be once I lose this 40 lbs!! My writing is not always crystal clear. LOL. I need to work on coming up with a new list of nice meals that I can enjoy making and eating that do not include grains. More salads incorporating protein. And maybe limit wine to the weekends.
    Snoops: Try not to focus on the clothing size. I was in Italy a few years ago as a very very fit woman (144lbs) -- didn't bring home one piece of clothing for myself. The clothes are sooooo tiny -- I couldn't get a skirt or pair of pants over my cycling thighs -- I felt terrible :-( But then I realized that Italian women are busy with very very slender hips --- who could know!

You can ditch the 40 lbs if that is what is important to you. Just try re-framing your thoughts. You are not 'missing out' on that glass of wine, because your gain is one step closer to a healthier and more fit you.

I'm just home from work -- pulled a couple of nice grass fed steaks from PEI out of the refrigerator. My husband is getting a nice glass of wine and a baked potato with his --- I'm having a 'cool glass 'o water and some nice asparagus with mine. I haven't seen the scale budge for a week now. Probably my body punishing me for no wine ;-) I'm hanging tough, thought --- No VINO for this Italian woman tonight. I have a paper due for school tomorrow, so I'm unfortunately also missing my workout tonight. I'll throw around some heavier weights on Saturday, Sunday and Monday -- it's a long weekend coming up.
    Ciao, Bella! (ps. When you get down to size 12, I have a bundle of nice clothes I'm going to mail to you) :-)
    /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"

Day 3 of my 3rd Whole 30 - Aug 30th

Jumped out of bed at 6 am with more energy than I know what to do with -- 9 hours of solid sleep does the trick. Not hungry so skipping breakfast and going with the bullet coffee: Large coffee with 1/2 cup coconut milk. Good until 12Noon when I ate leftovers from last night's dinner. Why is it that 2 cups of lean ground beef, sauteed with vegetables, is so dense in calories and fat? That lunch almost ruined my dinner as I'm trying to keep protein down and increase in fat. The result today, is that I'm too high in protein so I'll have to adjust tomorrow. Too bad because we had grass fed steaks tonight and I only had 4 ozs with a pile of vegetables with butter and coconut oil. I could have easily given away my first child for a glass of wine but I'm hanging tough here -- no alcohol for 34 days (breathing deeply). Anyway, the stats are below --- as you can see the scale just isn't budging --- maybe my body is rebelling in the absence of red wine. Anyway, keeping the faith, and waiting for the -10 lbs woosh

I have a paper due for university by tomorrow midnight, so going to burn the midnight oil: Thus, there's no lifting weights, nor walk tonight. I'll make up for it on Sat am.

So, without further adieu, there are the #'s for today:

Day 3 of 3rd Whole 30:

Total Calories: 1,179
    Fat: 88
    Carbs: 12.8
    Protein: 84.5

Today's Weight 152 lbs

B-Fast:
    Bullet Coffee (Large coffee with 1/2 cup coconut milk)

Lunch:
    2 cups fried, lean ground beef with carrots, spinach, onions & garlic (yummy but waaaaay too much protein. Could be an error on fitday????)

Dinner:
    4 ozs of grass fed, PEI steaks (My steak was 32 ozs but restricted to a 4 oz piece).
    yellow beans, asparagus, 1Tbsp Marscapone cheese, mushrooms

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Workout - None today -- University paper due tomorrow.

Energy Levels: (0 - 10) **** 0 is the lowest and 10 being the highest:

9-10
    Ketosis (which is where I believe I am), is like a feel good drug. I feel relaxed, happy, friendly, full of energy---singing in my car all the way to work "Roxanne dododo ddod dododo dodo...." I'll be up late working on this paper so it won't be 9 hours of sleep tonight. I'd like to see the scale move in a general downwards direction but my body loves 150.......we'll see who wins this war
    F, 48, 5'10"

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast