Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 14

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Just for fun, here is my breakfast and lunch which is already more calories than you eat all day, and I haven't had supper yet! Breakfast was a frittata made with a double yolk egg, only one sausage link, onions, mushrooms, Swiss chard and 1 oz of cheese. Also had half a grapefruit and two cups of coffee with heavy cream. Total 596 calories. Ate at 6:00 AM. Lunch at 1:00 was a grass fed ground beef patty with a slice each of mozerella and tomato on top. Two ounces of Greek Yoghurt since the container was almost empty. Romaine lettuce salad with olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing, half an ounce of blue cheese crumbles. One square dark chocolate. Total 633 calories. Both meals come to 1229 calories. Dinner won't be large but just about anything that resembles a meal is going to be 300-400 calories.
    Holy mother of Hannah --- that is a ton of food. How do you eat that much???? I'm just not that hungry but more importantly, I lose interest in eating. I only eat two meals a day but I start with a bullet coffee. I only sit down for one meal a day which is dinner. When I eat lunch at work, I take a '5 min break' where i eat my eggs and bacon, and then I'm back at my desk. I'm bored and can't sit in the lunch room. Again, I'm high energy and I think that is part genetics. /lc
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Louisa655;968006]Holy mother of Hannah --- that is a ton of food. How do you eat that much???? I'm just not that hungry but more importantly, I lose interest in eating. I only eat two meals a day but I start with a bullet coffee. I only sit down for one meal a day which is dinner. When I eat lunch at work, I take a '5 min break' where i eat my eggs and bacon, and then I'm back at my desk. I'm bored and can't sit in the lunch room. Again, I'm high energy and I think that is part genetics.

A bunless hamburger with a piece of cheese and tomato on it and a small salad shouldn't be considered a big lunch with a lot of food. Most non-primal people eat a hamburger with a bun and a side of French fries and a sugary drink, lol. And the fratatta is like a small omelette with a few veggies and a bit of shredded cheese melted on top. That and a piece of fruit and coffee seems like a fairly modest breakfast for people who eat breakfast at all. I hope it doesn't sound like I am giving you a hard time. I don't mean it to sound that way, but I sincerely wonder if you can get enough nutrients in your body with so few calories. Then you are doing quite a bit of demanding exercise. I'm thinking back to a Mark Sisson quote where he said something to the effect that the body, when faced with a demanding exercise schedule, says to itself, "Gee, if she's going to expect this of me every day, I'd better hang onto all the fat I can for fuel!" On top of that, if there aren't many calories being supplied there's all the more reason for the body to resist shedding pounds. You may be the exception to the rule in that regard. In any case I'm hoping I don't stall out on my weight loss and have to attempt to eat about half of what I'm eating now! Even with minimal exercise I don't think I could manage it.

[QUOTE=Miss Understood;968021]
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Holy mother of Hannah --- that is a ton of food. How do you eat that much???? I'm just not that hungry but more importantly, I lose interest in eating. I only eat two meals a day but I start with a bullet coffee. I only sit down for one meal a day which is dinner. When I eat lunch at work, I take a '5 min break' where i eat my eggs and bacon, and then I'm back at my desk. I'm bored and can't sit in the lunch room. Again, I'm high energy and I think that is part genetics.

A bunless hamburger with a piece of cheese and tomato on it and a small salad shouldn't be considered a big lunch with a lot of food. Most non-primal people eat a hamburger with a bun and a side of French fries and a sugary drink, lol. And the fratatta is like a small omelette with a few veggies and a bit of shredded cheese melted on top. That and a piece of fruit and coffee seems like a fairly modest breakfast for people who eat breakfast at all. I hope it doesn't sound like I am giving you a hard time. I don't mean it to sound that way, but I sincerely wonder if you can get enough nutrients in your body with so few calories. Then you are doing quite a bit of demanding exercise. I'm thinking back to a Mark Sisson quote where he said something to the effect that the body, when faced with a demanding exercise schedule, says to itself, "Gee, if she's going to expect this of me every day, I'd better hang onto all the fat I can for fuel!" On top of that, if there aren't many calories being supplied there's all the more reason for the body to resist shedding pounds. You may be the exception to the rule in that regard. In any case I'm hoping I don't stall out on my weight loss and have to attempt to eat about half of what I'm eating now! Even with minimal exercise I don't think I could manage it.
    Your points are well taken. It all comes back to n=1. My mom who passed away a year ago, started off at 5'10" and was skinny her entire life. She was disabled and could barely walk, so needless to say she didn't EVER exercise. Since she was British, she ate high high fat, medium protein and lots of veggies. I'ts UNBELIEVABLE to me that she seemed to have a better handle on nutrition than I did as a full fledged ultra athlete. Now that she has passed, I've been reflecting back on her health. She was 5'10" and was skinny her ENTIRE LIFE. In hindsight, the low carb (my mum never ate crap), medium protein and high fat was really healthy for her. Who could have known? I think I have the fast burning, type of genetics, and for that I'm grateful. I seem to go in and out of ketosis effortlessly, with an abundance of energy. I do believe some of this is genetics. On the other hand, I have a sister, 7 years younger, who struggled with weight as a vegetarian. She actually had liposuction in her 20's. She is not high energy, but her weight has stabilized at around 160-170 but she is 6' tall. I don't know why I feel full on so few calories. I could not eat a big breakfast --- I'd be sick. The two meals a day which equals around 1200 calories a day seems 'right' for me. If I were eat a SAD diet, I could easily consume 2000-2500 calories a day -- pizza, pasta, dessert, gin and tonic --- no problem. But with the high density, healthy food, I'm full on what I'm eating.

We shall see if I can lose this last 8lbs this month ---- It's my last 8 pounds which will get me to my "hot stuff in Swim Suit' weight (HSIS). If I don't reach that weight, then perhaps I need to revisit my plan and do a refeed once a week.

Appreciate your thoughts/input. /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    Louisa, do you eat fruit? I assume that no sugar means you've cut out fruit and sweet potatoes too? Interesting how you say you've never been an emotional eater. So even if something's beyond delicious (and totally Primal), you won't finish it if you're full? I admire that...

Also, how did you start eating just two meals? Many people say that they naturally do following the Primal lifestyle, but when I'm at home all day I tend to graze...NOT a good thing.

I have a similar build to you (around 15 lbs heavier than your starting weight), and I'm 6'0. I'm in my teens.
    You are in a big growing phase in your life. Nothing wrong with being your current height and weight. You sound like a healthy, normal young person to me.

Since starting primal, I have not been eating fruit, except a few blueberries or raspberries. The reason I don't eat fruit is because I don't crave it, and I'm avoiding sugar. But here's the difference, I'm a 48 year old female, who's had 4 children, and my metabolism is not as healthy as yours. I don't eat fruit because I have sensitive gums and eating cold fruit can put me on the ceiling with sensitivity. I miss bananas. I look at bananas on my kitchen window and sometimes think about eating half --- but I know the # of calories and I resist. I'm going to make some homemade cranberry sauce and that's high sugar, so I'll probably have a tablespoon or so of that.

But back to YOU! You are a young, healthy person who is at a weight that is within normal size. Try to eat healthy, and eliminate processed food and sugar. Other than that, eat, enjoy, socialize and be happy --- this is your time to blossom as a young person. As an older person, we are depending on you --- our youth --- to be the next leaders of our world -- we are counting on you. Stimulate the mind --- embrace education and be the best person you can be. We're counting on you :-)
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    lol. Have slight headache but sleeping soon so it'll go away. 4 friends and I fasted for 5 days once, no coffee or tea, nothing but filtered water, lots of it, light walking on the beach, we all stayed together in my neighbor's beach house, it was so much fun, we complained like crazy but no one had a bad time of it. None of us were fatty fat and all lost about 10 lbs each.
    I can't even imagine fasting for 5 days. You wouldn't want to be around me under those circumstances. If I were at a beach house with my best girlfriends, I'd have a case of some of the finest of wines.......I'm not a good influence :0
    F, 48, 5'10"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Small ribeye was so delicious, I even waited on DH to get home at 7pm, did have some olives, then 2 big org strawberries around 6:30 before grilling out in the rain!! But it was fabulous. Sautéed some broc/red pepper/squash/onion, last home grown tomato.. I kept saying yum.

Re:fast yrs ago.. Everything seemed simpler in our youth; we'd decide on something and get it done. Now, excuses galore.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314