Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 12

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You're right, there is a lot of fear mongering out there. sigh. Thanks for the positive re-enforcement that this way of eating can be good. :)

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Louisa, this may be a bit personal but, I've got to ask, what are your BMs like being so low-carb?!?
    FWIW, my experience is that as long as I keep my sodium up and stay hydrated, no problem. Frequency may well decline (since you're not putting loads of fiber in there to provide bulk), but sufficient fat makes for easy passage - as long as you're hydrated (which also goes back to sodium balance - natriuresis). Remember that about 90% of the solid content is bacteria corpsies - they outnumber us .

Wanted to say that I woke up feeling incredible this morning. I'm on day 16 of ketogenic eating, and I'm feeling fabulous! I feel strong, I feel buzzed, I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. Good times, good times.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    FWIW, my experience is that as long as I keep my sodium up and stay hydrated, no problem. Frequency may well decline (since you're not putting loads of fiber in there to provide bulk), but sufficient fat makes for easy passage - as long as you're hydrated (which also goes back to sodium balance - natriuresis). Remember that about 90% of the solid content is bacteria corpsies - they outnumber us .
    This has been my experience too.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I miss Louisa.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for your response! On your comment about finally maintaining on this diet... I figure the body would find that "new" set point where you just cruise by at a healthy spot. Do you ever think you'll pick up weight lifting?? And don't you miss vegetables? ;-) I looove eating a giant salad. Preferably with peas and cantaloupe. ;-)

My only problem with ketosis is that it doesn't give me enough energy to power through 3-4x/days a week of 45-60mins heavy lifting, plus any fast biking, crazy metcons or sprints I feel like doing. I'm wondering if..... it is possible to actually stay in happy ketosis (it DOES really control my appetite,) and STILL eating a bit of tuber as long as carbs are under 50g, and they are eaten immedietely after training. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I miss Louisa.
    Me too.

primal_jessjane And don't you miss vegetables? ;-) I looove eating a giant salad. Preferably with peas and cantaloupe. ;-)

My only problem with ketosis is that it doesn't give me enough energy to power through 3-4x/days a week of 45-60mins heavy lifting, plus any fast biking, crazy metcons or sprints I feel like doing. I'm wondering if..... it is possible to actually stay in happy ketosis (it DOES really control my appetite,) and STILL eating a bit of tuber as long as carbs are under 50g, and they are eaten immedietely after training. Thoughts?
    I've heard there are professional athletes that perform in a fasted state (which is basically like ketosis) and who perform in ketosis. I think it just takes time for the body to adapt, to transition. I don't think you'll notice a difference in energy in two weeks, but more like two months. (Don't quote me on those numbers! I just citing them as an example.)

And I think you can still have your salads, you just have to watch what you put on it. Sugary cantalope will knock you out of ketosis pretty quickly, but some avocado and almonds, a bit or red onion, with some blue cheese? That shouldn't mess with you too much. I'm not sure about the tuber, you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

For me, am on day 19 of strict keto eating. I've fallen into a pattern of sorts and this way of eating is working well. Just found out yesterday that the powers that be probably won't let me take the big trip home that I've been planning for months. So sad. Was looking forward to seeing family, and seeing the States for a while. Have been overseas since July 2010...

Paleobird Guest
    I haven't given up salads and veggies. You just pick and choose which veggies. And, if you are figuring net carbs, salad and other greens are great.

Creamed veggies (kale, spinach) are a good way to get your greenery and some fat too. I don't know why anyone would really need a tuber unless they were lifting very heavy and very often.

Lissee that's a bummer that you don't get to come home right now, but, of all the places in the world I have seen, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vienna. It's a lovely city. Such a rich historical legacy.

Where is Louisa anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Lissee that's a bummer that you don't get to come home right now, but, of all the places in the world I have seen, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vienna. It's a lovely city. Such a rich historical legacy.

Where is Louisa anyway?
    I know it's a total bummer! I was looking forward to doing a little shopping and to see family. Oh well.

But you're right, Vienna is lovely. And Fall is my favorite season, and I was not looking forward to missing Fall in Vienna. It's really very nice here. Street fairs, and fall leaves, and quiet streets, and brisk cool air. It's heaven.

Hoping Louisa is okay. hopefully life just got really busy and she doesn't have time to check in.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    This is an interesting thread and it's fascinating to follow someone's experiment with breaking a weight loss plateau. Tomorrow marks the two week point since I started tracking calories and macros on "Lose It". I had a feeling I was eating too much protein, but I typically keep carbs adequately low. I am guessing based on calories tracked so far that I used to eat 1800-2100 most days. I have lost at least 40 pounds since starting Primal Blueprint in January. Currently I am averaging a loss of 5 pounds per month and I would love to step up the pace a bit. That's why I decided to experiment with my ratios. Based on this two weeks, I don't see any difference plus I am trying to hold myself to 1500-1900 calories with most days in the 1600-1700 range.

I will say that today, day 13, I am feeling extra sharp and alert and it even seems like my eyesight is clearer. Maybe that's my imagination. I am holding off on lunch since I'm not really hungry yet. Typically I am hungry after 4-5 hours past my last meal. Since going Primal, hunger is never that painful, gnawing feeling. More of an emptiness and mild discomfort.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast