Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 11

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I was in the 140s in high school but I was always muscular with a lot of surfer/swimmer upper body strength. I put on the "Freshman Ten" when I went off to college and then let a few more creep up on me as I passed 40.

The Freshman 10 fear is still alive and well in all the schools --- all the kids have heard about it! It's so easy to snack when away from home, and under the constant pressure of school.

Cancer hit and I ballooned up to 210 and size 16. When I started my journaling here and my calorie counting threads I was 180 and a size 12.

Cancer is evil, and some of the drugs are even worst. My daughter was on prednisone, which you maybe familiar with --- all toxic business.

You would not believe the number of people who told me I had an eating disorder (in very solicitous tones of course) for wanting to get back to the body that I knew was inside that padding.

Makes me laugh the way some people go on about none of their business. I have people whispering behind my back, "what is she going to do with her Master's at her age!" Makes me just laugh!

I seem to have reached a temporary setpoint here of 150 but I think my long term goal is 140. I know that I rock 140. We each know these things for ourselves.

Who knows what the magic number is -- or if such a thing exists, you know? I live in the freezing cold Canada where we live under heavily layered clothing and snow suits for 8 months out of the year. Who really knows what we look like under all the down!

And it is fun to fit back into the stuff in the VS catalogue again. The leopard print monokini in my Before/After pic is a VS.
    Nothing wrong with rocking out in some sexy panties, bathing suits and lingerie! No matter what our weight, one day as old ladies we'll look back and say, "We were perfect!" --- it's all relative
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    My god, I really geek out on this stuff. But check this out!
    Too much protein can kick you out of ketosis - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    I reviewed the site: There are numerous sites with very good information for us layman type (who are not body builders). I thought this quote was relevant:

"This occurs via at least two mechanisms:

1. The increased carb intake maintains blood glucose and insulin at a higher level (inhibiting cortisol release).
    2. The carbohydrate provides glucose for the brain, limiting the need to break down body protein.

Basically, in the context of dieting, dieters can either jack up dietary protein to cover the increased carbohydrate requirements of dieting or simply eat slightly more carbohydrates to provide them directly. Both have the same end-result. 15-50 grams per day limits the body’s need to break down protein and will allow protein requirements to be set lower than a diet providing essentially zero carbohydrates per day."

/louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    "Basil" is my awesome, awsome, 19-month old, Portuguese Water Dog. He's 87lbs and loves bacon and pate. Since Basil doesn't shed, he's welcome up on the furniture to cuddle. Sitting next to Basil is similar to wearing one of the coziest, comfiest bathrobes. He also comes to work with me every day, so we get a few walks in together, as well --- it's a win win!
    I'm getting one; the no shedding sealed it.

Wed, Sept 12, 2012

Day 17 of Whole 30*(3)
    Wed Sept 12, 2012
    Ketosis Land (Narnia?)

Today is Day 17. I was high energy all day at work but now that I’m home, I’m feeling tired. I haven’t watched tv in a few months, but I may land on the couch and mindlessly surf the tv. My hubby is away at a conference tonight, so I have some peace and quiet.

I’m still in ketosis, and still avoiding sugar, fruit, wheat and all other contraband.

I feel as though I’ve eat so much. I couldn’t eat one more calorie today...I’m stuffed and I feel like a stuffed olive today -- not sure why. My favourite belt no longer fits, unless I take it in to get more holes punched -- I may do that because it’s my favourite Michael Kors belt.

Here’s today’s #’s, followed by my meal plan:

Total Calories: 944
    Fat: 70.8gr - 66%
    Carbs: 11.2 - 5%
    Protein: 66.8gr -30%

Today's Weight 148.8 lbs

B-Fast:
    Bullet Coffee (coffee with 1/2 cup coconut milk)

Lunch:
    Small mixed salad with chicken breast (gave 1/2 to Basil, my dog).

Pre-Dinner Snack:
    1 small piece of Gouda cheese
    3 pieces of bacon

Dinner:
    3-egg omlette with 1 lg mushroom, 1/2 small onion & 1/4 small tomato.

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Post Dinner Workout: 5km walk (This is still on my agenda for this evening).

Not much else to report today. Same breakfast, slightly different lunch and, as usual, the dinner changes. Enjoying a quiet night and about to watch some tv. Hopefully I’ll com to life around 7pm for my nightly walk.

Hope you all have had a great day!/louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"

Paleobird Guest
    Basil is adorable.
    I'm having marrow bones for dinner. I find they make a good keto meal. My dog is very upset that I have gone Primal and figured out how good bone marrow tastes. He used to get the bones all to himself.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    So I've been hovering around the same weight for the past few days. Yesterday I realized that I was this weight for a very long time, and so it a set point for me. Am hoping that I can move on past this number soon.

I started a fast yesterday at lunch and will fast until lunch today. And I feel good. I've fasted regularly through my life (for religious reasons) but this is the easiest fast I've ever done! Ketosis is just great!

I read about those blood ketone meters and the only thing keeping me from ordering one is the exorbitant cost of the ketone testing strips. Would love to make sure that I stay in that optimal ketosis zone. I guess I'll just have to wing it. On a side note, I seem to have settled to a 78% fat diet. I don't plan it that way, it's just when I add up the numbers, that's what I get. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me close to the mark.

So my PLL for today is that I definitely need to supplement magnesium & salt. A few times over the past week, things have happened where I've realized I needed salt. (Central Sleep apnea issues flaring up, and then slight headachy/dizzyness stuff.) It's interesting to me that when I'm low on salt, water isn't palatable. Usually I guzzle the stuff down, but when I'm salt deficient, my body say's, "No, not that stuff, I want something else." So I drink a cup of chicken bullion broth and voila, I feel much, much better.

The other thing is that I've been supplementing magnesium for a while now. If not every day, then every other day. I was sick a few weeks ago, major travelors bug, and so I stopped taking magnesium, thinking it could exacerbate the issue because I wouldn't be able to tell if I was taking too much. Anyway, I was really anxious a couple days ago. Wanted to snack, snack, snack. (Ate ketogenic foods, so only my calories were up for the day.) And then realized I was probably magnesium deficient. I restarted supplementing magnesium two days ago, even front loaded a little. And I'm feeling just fine now, (with no adverse effects).

Exercise wise, I've just been walking every day (~2 miles). I've had a difficult time actually doing body weight exercises. Did get in a sprint workout last week.

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    So I've been hovering around the same weight for the past few days. Yesterday I realized that I was this weight for a very long time, and so it a set point for me. Am hoping that I can move on past this number soon.

So my PLL for today is that I definitely need to supplement magnesium & salt. A few times over the past week, things have happened where I've realized I needed salt. (Central Sleep apnea issues flaring up, and then slight headachy/dizzyness stuff.) It's interesting to me that when I'm low on salt, water isn't palatable. Usually I guzzle the stuff down, but when I'm salt deficient, my body say's, "No, not that stuff, I want something else." So I drink a cup of chicken bullion broth and voila, I feel much, much better.
    Interesting because I'm thirsty all the time and I've been craving salt. I've even left my office, gone to the kitchen, poured salt into my hand and licked it up. Nasty business but it helps. I was getting a few headaches last week.

Also, I was at my 'set point' of 150 for about 2-3 weeks (frustrating). I brought the 'big guns' out and eliminated alcohol and now the scale is moving in a downward trend again. Happy to report that I hover around 148-149lbs and hoping to get to 145 within a few weeks. As soon as I feel a niggle to snack, I jump into my 'fat' foods. This keeps me in ketosis and keeps the little man loading the coal into the furnace (fat into the fire). Hope to have time tonight to go for a hike. /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"

Ha! I've been licking salt for years. lol I used to get sugar headaches (not really anymore since I don't eat sugar...) but I would eat a little bit of salt, and the headache would quickly go away. Nice to know I'm not the only one eating a pinch of salt here or there.

I was happy to read that you were able to move out of your stall. Here's hoping that I don't stay here for another week or two...

Have started losing again. Weighed this morning and am at 205. That's 7.5 lbs since September 1. Have been very good this week, my fat percentage averages around 78%. Am feeling very good.

Of note is that my period started late this month. I googled ketogenic diets and saw that some people claimed that this diet would make your cycle stop. I was scared, almost upped my carbs, but didn't. So glad I waited. Things are just fine.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Have started losing again. Weighed this morning and am at 205. That's 7.5 lbs since September 1. Have been very good this week, my fat percentage averages around 78%. Am feeling very good.

Of note is that my period started late this month. I googled ketogenic diets and saw that some people claimed that this diet would make your cycle stop. I was scared, almost upped my carbs, but didn't. So glad I waited. Things are just fine.
    The only time that would happen is in really low BF people like marathon runners or anorexics. It astounds me the amount of fear mongering nonsense that is written about ketosis. What is it that terrifies people so? It's a perfectly normal state of being.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast