Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 10

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Your body is getting plenty of nutrition when you are in a ketogenic weight loss mode like this. It is just getting the extra calories it needs from the storage unit known as your thighs. If you are not feeling actively hungry, as in growling in the belly, go with it and ride that wave while your body snacks on your adipose.

Caveat: For our height, 150 is about smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for BMI. 130 would be the absolute lower limit where you cross over into unhealthy territory. So, push it if it feels good but don't push it too far.
    I was always 122lbs growing up...put on a bit of weight with my 4 pregnancies but a 27-year old body can spring back from pregnancies very nicely. My last pregnancy was a set of twin babies (6 & 7 lbs at birth). I gained 103 pounds during that pregnancy and shot up to a nice size 18 dress. Never let it be said on this forum that I don't know what it's like to wear your grandmother's curtains -- I've been there! Anyway, lost all the weight quickly and remained about 140 for the rest of my life. Shot up to 155-160 while studying for my MBA and recovering from a serious back injury. And here we are today. I believe I will still be very comfortable at 140, but most of my friends will begin to quietly whisper (something's wrong with her). While they are whispering, I'll be ordering my Victoria Secret's bikini, on-line
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I was always 122lbs growing up...put on a bit of weight with my 4 pregnancies but a 27-year old body can spring back from pregnancies very nicely. My last pregnancy was a set of twin babies (6 & 7 lbs at birth). I gained 103 pounds during that pregnancy and shot up to a nice size 18 dress. Never let it be said on this forum that I don't know what it's like to wear your grandmother's curtains -- I've been there! Anyway, lost all the weight quickly and remained about 140 for the rest of my life. Shot up to 155-160 while studying for my MBA and recovering from a serious back injury. And here we are today. I believe I will still be very comfortable at 140, but most of my friends will begin to quietly whisper (something's wrong with her). While they are whispering, I'll be ordering my Victoria Secret's bikini, on-line
    I was in the 140s in high school but I was always muscular with a lot of surfer/swimmer upper body strength. I put on the "Freshman Ten" when I went off to college and then let a few more creep up on me as I passed 40. Cancer hit and I ballooned up to 210 and size 16. When I started my journaling here and my calorie counting threads I was 180 and a size 12. You would not believe the number of people who told me I had an eating disorder (in very solicitous tones of course) for wanting to get back to the body that I knew was inside that padding. I seem to have reached a temporary setpoint here of 150 but I think my long term goal is 140. I know that I rock 140. We each know these things for ourselves.
    And it is fun to fit back into the stuff in the VS catalogue again. The leopard print monokini in my Before/After pic is a VS.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Louisa, you're not concerned about undereating protein? I know ketosis "preserves" muscle mass, but... You know... It boggles my mind that bodybuilding diets where people get super ripped are actually high protein/moderate fat/low carb, and then you've got the people getting ripped with ketosis diets that are moderate protein/high fat/low carb. So... How is one less/more effective than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Louisa, you're not concerned about undereating protein? I know ketosis "preserves" muscle mass, but... You know... It boggles my mind that bodybuilding diets where people get super ripped are actually high protein/moderate fat/low carb, and then you've got the people getting ripped with ketosis diets that are moderate protein/high fat/low carb. So... How is one less/more effective than the other?
    Primal_JessJane: Good questions/good thoughts. I'm not a body builder so I can't really comment on the different approaches or philosophies. I'm sure there's about 6 ways of which to get into the same camp. I hope I didn't say that I wasn't concerned about my protein intake. I have carefully calculated what my needs are in each category of fats, proteins, carbs and hydration and I try to stick to that plan as closely as possible. I'm not micro-managing on a daily basis but prefer to look at what I'm getting throughout the weeks and months. I'm not willing to compromise protein/muscle mass. I have more fat to burn and I intend to burn it while maintaining some decent workouts and walks etc. Hope you day is great. /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Day 16 of Whole 30*(3)
    Tues Sept 11, 2012
    Ketosis Land

Today is Day 16 and being in Ketosis is more familiar daily. The abundance of energy is near ridiculous and I’m always in a feel good mood. I continue to enjoy 9 hours sleep per night and I’m raring to go at 6am. The last few days I have finally seen my weight move from the dreaded 150’s into the loving arms of the 140’s -- 148lb, to be exact. This comes as a welcome relief because I was bouncing between 150-154 lbs and it was annoying. As soon as I dropped the alcohol, tweaked the protein slightly downwards, and increased the fat, the weight began dropping again.

I always have my next achievable goal in site, which is landing both feet, firmly on the 145lb platform. I envision these diving board platforms in my mind, and each one is just over the crest. I use this technique so often now that it’s almost subconscious.

I continue to eat two meals a day, only because my body seems to like that schedule and my appetite continues to be suppressed, likely due to being in ketosis.

I am not eating wheat, fruit, sugar, grains, legumes, pasta or anything packaged: I eat a very small amount of dairy (18% cream).

Here’s today’s #’s, followed by my meal plan:

Total Calories: 719
    Fat: 52gr
    Carbs: 6.5gr
    Protein: 53gr

Today's Weight 148.4 lbs

B-Fast:
    Bullet Coffee x 2 (coffee with 1oz of 18% cream * 2)

Lunch:
    2 fried eggs and 3 strips bacon

Pre-Dinner Snack:
    6 black/brown olives that contain pits
    1 small piece of Blue Cheese (high fat content)
    1 cup bone broth (keeps me warm while I’m watching the BBQ)

Dinner:
    3 Med-sized crazy, fun, wild, yummy chicken wings (homemade with dry rub and BBQ’d slowly for an hour;
    Small Salad with balsamic vinegar;

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Post Dinner Workout: 6km walk (Scout’s pace: Move it! Move it!)

Interestingly, I’m not bored with my menu. I try to keep the menu planning as easy as possible because of working all day but still wanting to make something that tastes nice and provides the nutritional requirements. Hubby seems okay with food choices, as well, so perhaps the menu isn’t so boring. Poor man is still healing and our patients are asking if I struck him with a cast iron skillet

While I’m ‘hard at’ the weight loss, I’m purposefully NOT making ‘recipes’ with multiple ingredients because I have a need to be very specific with my calorie counting (even though we are not supposed to be). I don’t want to be kicked out of ketosis for making some elaborate stew or other dish, and being blind-sided by a large protein # or something. My philosophy is: KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

By the way, I have the same breakfast and same lunch every day. The only scene in this movie that’s changing is the dinner. Not so hard on the brain and provides consistency. I am short on fats today -- so I may have down some cream or coconut oil after my run. If I do add additional fat, I’ll make a readjustment to my entry later.

On a side note: It’s my son’s 26th birthday today --- unbelievable how so many years has passed. He’s grown into this wonderful, young man whom I’m so proud of. He’s still in school, and passed along “Convict Conditioning” to me --- I hope to do a pull up by his 27th birthday! ha!
    All right, enough talk -- more movement. Going to get my rigged up for my 10km walk....I do the first two loops with my dog, and then take him home, and then I go back out with my music. ‘Later!
    Last edited by Louisa655; 09-12-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    I want that dog, what a huggable face.

Louisa, this may be a bit personal but, I've got to ask, what are your BMs like being so low-carb?!? I've also read that being in ketosis can be horrible for sleep because a lack of serotonin from carbohydrates can prevent it from converted into melatonin for sleep. Thoughts? I'm not trying to hack your program or anything, for some reason I find ketosis really fascinating and effective, and am hoping to transcend this sort of eating behavior to some of my clients as a personal trainer. But, I really REALLY want to know the ins-and-outs and I always make an effort to read people's personal experiences with it since studies/research can only tell us so much. ;-) So.. You think with the high protein you get kicked out of ketosis because you are making carbohydrates from gluconeogenesis? And if that is so, then wouldn't you want to eat a bit more carbohydrate so your brain can be happy running on its small supply of glucose while preserving muscle mass? Or do you do occasional 'carb-ups'?

My god, I really geek out on this stuff. But check this out!
    Too much protein can kick you out of ketosis - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Louisa, this may be a bit personal but, I've got to ask, what are your BMs like being so low-carb?!?

Primal_JessJane: Hi there. I'm not even sure if I'm even qualified or know enough to address your questions. I'm pretty new at this and have spent about 8 months of reading and researching before embarking on this journey. As far as the BM's are concerned --- haven't had a problem. I use powdered Magnesium 2 per day and on top of eating all the fat --- not really an issue at all. Now I'm wondering if I should have an issue. Maybe someone else can join in this string of conversation and add to it.

I've also read that being in ketosis can be horrible for sleep because a lack of serotonin from carbohydrates can prevent it from converted into melatonin for sleep. Thoughts? I'm wide awake between 5:30-6:00 am and start tearing around the house -- making coffee -- finishing laundry etc etc. By the time I finish work (between 4-6pm), and get home and make dinner and then do my 10km walk --- I'm falling into bed by 8:30, 9pm at the latest. I can't keep my eyes open. This big, hairy, no shed dog jumps into bed with me, and I'm out -- like a light. But at the crack of dawn, I'm up and ready to go. I've always been a morning person, and never really a night person. I have no clue about seratonin levels increasing or decreasing -- not a clue.

I'm not trying to hack your program or anything, for some reason I find ketosis really fascinating and effective, and am hoping to transcend this sort of eating behavior to some of my clients as a personal trainer.

Very cool that you are a personal trainer -- you must feel as though you empower people and that's got to be a great sense of accomplishment.

But, I really REALLY want to know the ins-and-outs and I always make an effort to read people's personal experiences with it since studies/research can only tell us so much. ;-)

I've researched the heck out of this subject, and I also think that Paleobird has got a really good handle on things. She consolidated things in her "Eat Moar Fat" which brought everything together for me. Before Paleobird's writings, I was consuming too much protein. I was still getting great results in weight loss and feel good, but as soon as I lowered the protein and increased the fat --- it's as if the penny dropped and the body kicked into action.

So.. You think with the high protein you get kicked out of ketosis because you are making carbohydrates from gluconeogenesis? And if that is so, then wouldn't you want to eat a bit more carbohydrate so your brain can be happy running on its small supply of glucose while preserving muscle mass? Or do you do occasional 'carb-ups'?
    Not sure if I'm going to answer this correctly, but there's a lot of research exactly on your point. From what I read, one doesn't need to consume many carbohydrates in order for the brain to function. Glucose, as I understand, can be manufactured during the breakdown of fats, and the brain can redirect to that. I'm probably not articulating this as well as some of the readings do. What I do know is that I don't seem to need too many carbs in order to operate in high gear all day. I don't know if that's just me, or if everyone in low carb/ketosis feels this way.

What I'm interested in is figuring out a way to remain in very low carb, enjoy the benefits of low carb, and eventually begin maintaining weight rather than losing weight. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've always found the relationship with the body interesting and one of my fascinations has been how to push one's body beyond what you believe it could achieve. Sorry if I'm not that big a help on these questions. As I say, I've spent months researching this stuff as I find it fascinating, as well.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I want that dog, what a huggable face.
    "Basil" is my awesome, awsome, 19-month old, Portuguese Water Dog. He's 87lbs and loves bacon and pate. Since Basil doesn't shed, he's welcome up on the furniture to cuddle. Sitting next to Basil is similar to wearing one of the coziest, comfiest bathrobes. He also comes to work with me every day, so we get a few walks in together, as well --- it's a win win!
    F, 48, 5'10"

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast