Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Place to hide: Fukushima fallout findings & effects on USA food supplies page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

No Place to hide: Fukushima fallout findings & effects on USA food supplies

Primal Fuel
    Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Copyright Issue
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

primal me is offline Member
    OMG that is some scary shit! My hubby declared any fish out of the Pacific to be off limits, now it looks like we won't be eating oranges or almonds from CA or FLA and I am guessing the BC fruit I love is off limits as well. That limits a lot of my options and makes me wonder if the cattle industry here in Alberta has also been exposed. We're not really that far inland especially if you take into account the Alberta clipper that swoops in across Canada and down into the States near Illinois (as my FB friend there points out EVERY winter when it gets cold). What on Earth are we to eat? Will my grandchildren have two heads? Maybe one of them will be Wolverine!

Thanks for sharing this Betorq, it really makes a person think about where the food we eat comes from and what it might have been exposed to aside from the usual pesticide and herbicide use.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Not too much we can do about what's in circulation & in our food supply already. But there are dietary & supplement protocols, such as a blog post I made when Fukishima was 1st happening that can protect you & your family. Things like miso, seaweeds, chlorella, cilantro & garlic. Like not 100% absorption nor removal but a large enough % that you can sleep well(better?) at night. I still eat wild seafood, even Pacific salmon & Japanese seaweed (I do make sure it's packaging date is pre-Fukushima). I just eat chlorella (more than standard recommendations like a heaping TBS) & loads of kelp & other seaweeds & superfoods WITH my seafood meals, as these are known/proven for many decades to enhance chelation & allow the body to flush out radiation & heavy metals out before they settle in the body too deeply. Once those substances settle into your bones, it's much much more difficult & a much lengthier time frame to purge them.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Atlantic coast, baby. Still though, those oranges that I just bought now look somewhat scary.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not concerned about FL citrus, I even grow some of my own... but I'll be avoiding the CA ones as usual.
    Hmm... I'm not feeling reproductive anyway ... I get what avocadoes I can from FL, but Hass are more available from CA, so I'll eat them.
    Fish is always local.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Argh, I'm less than 20 miles away from the beach in Santa Monica. This does not make me happy.

AussieNana is offline Member
    I think the reason the media and our politicians haven't been all over this like a rash is that there isn't much we can do about it. Other than what is written above I think having a good general health is the best we can do. The people who are likely to be hit hardest are those whose immune system is already compromised. With SAD and Fukushima and the effects of toxins in the environment and vaccinations we are likely to find that some people will recycle back to the earth earlier than they would choose. In the meantime I'm going to focus on what I love and on those I love and having the best life I can. No point in worrying about those things I can do nothing about. Who knows I might last another 40 years yet (taking me over 100) so I might as well enjoy it.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what to make of this report. I hope everyone took the time to read it all, because it reads like a heavy agenda piece severely lacking in context. I'm not a fan of nuclear power, in fact I think it's an absolutely ridiculous idea, but just as governments and scientists may be knowing more than they're letting on, there's just as many scaremongering pseudo-truth pieces like this knocking around.

I'm not doubting the readings, just that there seems to be a whole host of selective information being presented. As a community we wouldn't accept this level of report if it was condemning, say, beef, so we really shouldn't get our knickers in a twist over this.

For example, there's tons of sensational stats like "91 times background level" etc. This means nothing without context. Levels in the Fukushima exclusion zone are 3,500 times higher than in parts of Japan only 100-150 miles away. Large chunks of Japan has background radiation levels lower than New York. What were the background radiation levels in the areas mentioned? What is considered safe? How does this compare to a mobile phone conversation? It's entirely possible that your mobile/cell phone is more of a danger than any of this.

I must confess to not knowing much about radiation, but after reading this article, I feel I know even less. A shame, because they seem to have potentially useful information. Yet the level of reporting only goes from sensationalist to vague.

Living in Japan I'm possibly more concerned about this than most, but just as more independent testing needs to be done (the article ignores many readings that show negligible impact), being fast and loose with claims of the dangers doesn't help anybody. It just leads to panic.

I'm not trashing the info in the piece, but it needs way more solid context before it even begins to be worthwhile. I wonder why the reporter hasn't put it in?

One line particularly made me roll my eyes and laugh out loud in one smooth motion:

The breadth of the Fukushima fallout across the entire globe is easily on a scale that almost defies imagination

WTF! That means absolutely nothing! That's not a scale, that's jibberish designed to shock and scare. It's a difficult job to put a measure on the effect of Fukushima past and future. One that perhaps this reporter shouldn't have taken on.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Look, the unstated big dark secret in the room is that we all know full well that we intend to use up the entire world until it's gone and we all die. We are running out of places to run away to for safety and we all know it. Time to reap the consequences of what we've sown because none of us, not one single one of us, not the Sierra Clubbers, not the recycling nuts, not the researchers, nobody intends to do a damn thing about it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, we've just about sullied this napkin. My silly coworker thinks we're going to colonize Mars soon. I tried to explain to him that there's no profit margin in doing so. He's convinced people just do cool stuff because they can. Lol. It's obvious to me that, since no major corporation or government is going to fund the kind of economy-draining work needed to develop and move a mobile colony of humans to Mars, it won't happen. Instead, we're going to have to thin out the herd. And the powers that be are trying their best. Free donut, anyone?

The global puppet masters have been working on this problem for centuries. Never pretend that nobody is guiding the fate of our species.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast