Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Place to hide: Fukushima fallout findings & effects on USA food supplies page 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree the article is heavy on the scare factor & too thin on the contextual data. However, on a more practical note, I did return & get credit for the California raw almonds & raw walnuts I was slowly using. The credits got me wild arugula & a nice hunk of lean tri-tip beef for tonight's dinner. Gonna steam some kale & pour melted butter over it & call it a night. I'm knackered & wish the weekend were already here!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this report. I hope everyone took the time to read it all, because it reads like a heavy agenda piece severely lacking in context. I'm not a fan of nuclear power, in fact I think it's an absolutely ridiculous idea, but just as governments and scientists may be knowing more than they're letting on, there's just as many scaremongering pseudo-truth pieces like this knocking around.

I'm not doubting the readings, just that there seems to be a whole host of selective information being presented. As a community we wouldn't accept this level of report if it was condemning, say, beef, so we really shouldn't get our knickers in a twist over this.

For example, there's tons of sensational stats like "91 times background level" etc. This means nothing without context. Levels in the Fukushima exclusion zone are 3,500 times higher than in parts of Japan only 100-150 miles away. Large chunks of Japan has background radiation levels lower than New York. What were the background radiation levels in the areas mentioned? What is considered safe? How does this compare to a mobile phone conversation? It's entirely possible that your mobile/cell phone is more of a danger than any of this.

I must confess to not knowing much about radiation, but after reading this article, I feel I know even less. A shame, because they seem to have potentially useful information. Yet the level of reporting only goes from sensationalist to vague.

Living in Japan I'm possibly more concerned about this than most, but just as more independent testing needs to be done (the article ignores many readings that show negligible impact), being fast and loose with claims of the dangers doesn't help anybody. It just leads to panic.

I'm not trashing the info in the piece, but it needs way more solid context before it even begins to be worthwhile. I wonder why the reporter hasn't put it in?

One line particularly made me roll my eyes and laugh out loud in one smooth motion:

The breadth of the Fukushima fallout across the entire globe is easily on a scale that almost defies imagination

WTF! That means absolutely nothing! That's not a scale, that's jibberish designed to shock and scare. It's a difficult job to put a measure on the effect of Fukushima past and future. One that perhaps this reporter shouldn't have taken on.
    Huzzah for level headed sensibleness! Chicken Little pieces sell better than measured carefully documented stories unfortunately. Shocking and scary=sexy=marketable.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I know this is a serious subject, but when I read Radiation-induced mutations in Japanese insects I thought of this

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I know this is a serious subject, but when I read Radiation-induced mutations in Japanese insects I thought of this
    Humor is always welcome & appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Huzzah for level headed sensibleness! Chicken Little pieces sell better than measured carefully documented stories unfortunately. Shocking and scary=sexy=marketable.
    Fukushima Nuclear Fallout Still Showing Up in ... - Renegade Health renegadehealth.com/.../fukushima-nuclear-fallout-still-showing-up-in... Sep 30, 2011 – You don't have to worry about radioactive milk from this goat… (It's male.) Fukushima is out of the news in the U.S., but the effects it has had on ...

www.enviroreporter.com/2011/09/radiation-conversation/Sep 19, 2011 – After 2,433 comments EnviroReporter.com's Radiation Station was a ..... California almonds, pistacios, prunes, and especially mushrooms have ...
    California prunes and almonds have detectable levels of cesium ...

enenews.com/cesium-134-detected-in-california-prunes-and-almonds...Jul 12, 2012 – 80 comments to California prunes and almonds have detectable levels of cesium -134 — A fingerprint for radiation from Fukushima Daiichi ...

Radiation/Japan & The US
    rense.com/Datapages/radiationdat.htm Fukushima - The Unspoken Crisis Of Global Nuclear Radiation Gunderson On The San ... ALL Of W.Coast, Most Of US, CA Covered In Radiation March 20...

No Safe Dose - Japan's Low-Dose Radiation Disaster
    rense.com/general95/no-safe-dose.htm Jul 9, 2012 – Tuna caught near California was found to have absorbed cesium from Fukushima because "[u]nlike some other compounds, radioactive ...
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-30-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Fukushima Nuclear Fallout Still Showing Up in California Dairy Products
    The Fukushima disaster changed our world significantly due to the massive amounts of radioactive material that was released. It contaminated people, sea water and creatures, farmland, and its fallout has been recorded all the way across the world.

So what can you do?
    First up, the good news is that you can be 100% amazingly healthy and never eat a food from Japan. So if you’re very seriously concerned about eating foods from Japan you can stop.
    You can get great seaweed from the California coast, from Ireland, and many other places that have been tested for not only radiation contamination, but also for heavy metal contamination as well. (We’ve tested our Irish moss and it’s come up completely clean.)
    If you’re worried about the California coast seaweed, you can be assured that it’s safe. The Nuclear Engineering Department at UC-Berkeley has been monitoring foods, rainwater and soil ever since the disaster happened.
    Here’s what they reported in August 2011:
    “8/12 (6:20pm): This week we were able to test three more samples of seaweed from Northern California. Once again, no isotopes from Japan were detected. In addition, the seaweed data table has been expanded to include the naturally-occurring isotope Beryllium-7, which is often found in samples that have been outside or in contact with rain. Other food chain data tables are being expanded to include this natural isotope as well to provide a point of comparison.”
    Other foods that you may get from Japan like rice, chlorella (in some cases) and miso can also be sourced from other places around the world.
    So while I’m not saying to boycott Japanese imports, I’m hinting strongly that if you’re worried you can completely stop causing yourself stress by eating more locally.
    But eating locally, may have it’s challenges as well.
    While reading through the UC-Berkeley Nuclear Engineering logs, I found some interesting things that I think you should know about.
    Good News: It seems, as of August 2011 in California, many of the vegetables are not contaminated with radioactive isotopes.
    “8/16 (6:48pm): We just finished testing a sample of carrots and a sample of cherry tomatoes, both from a local organic farm that has supplied most of our strawberry samples. No radioactive isotopes from Japan were detected.”
    Bad News: If you drink milk from California, there still seems to be detectible levels of radioactive Cesium.
    “9/27 (12:17pm): We have posted two new store-bought milk samples with Best By dates of 9/26 and 10/1. We continue to detect low levels of both Cs-134 and Cs-137.”
    And from raw milk as well:
    “9/1 (4:22pm): Two raw milk samples were added to our raw milk page. Both samples come from a single dairy the Sacramento area, and one sample is cow milk and the other is goat milk. Both samples show detectable levels of Cs-134 and Cs-137.”
    I haven’t had dairy products regularly in at least a year or so, but I’m not clamoring to reintroduce them into my diet based on this information. These levels are obviously acceptable levels according to EPA and other environmental standards, but I’d be cautious. Just like you can survive without foods from Japan, you can also survive without dairy (and definitely without radioactive milk.)
    Finally, here’s the most interesting (I think creepy) test UC-Berkeley conducted.
    Creepy News: It appears that the biggest concern for radioactive fallout in California is still coming from pre-1963.
    Check this out…
    “9/6 (5:26pm): We tested a topsoil sample and a dried manure sample from the Sacramento area. The manure was produced by a cow long before Fukushima and left outside to dry; it was rained on back in March and April. Both samples showed detectable levels of Cs-134 and Cs-137, with the manure showing higher levels than the soil probably because of its different chemical properties and/or lower density.
    In addition, a soil sample from Sonoma county was tested. This sample had been collected in late April but we had not had the chance to test it until now.
    One interesting feature of the Sacramento and Sonoma soil samples is that the ratio of Cesium-137 to Cesium-134 is very large — approximately 17.6 and 5.5, respectively. All of our other soil samples until now had shown ratios of between 1 and 2. We know from our air and rainwater measurements that material from Fukushima has a cesium ratio in the range of approximately 1.0 to 1.5, meaning that there is extra Cs-137 in these two soil samples. The best explanation is that in addition to Fukushima fallout, we have also detected atmospheric nuclear weapons testing fallout in these soils. Weapons fallout contains only Cs-137 (no Cs-134) and is known to be present in older soils (pre-1963). Both of these samples come from older soils, while our samples until this point had come from newer soils.
    This direct comparison between Fukushima fallout and atmospheric weapons fallout in these soils shows that the fallout from Fukushima in Northern California is significantly less than the amount of Cs-137 that still remains from weapons testing, which has had nearly 50 years to disperse and decay.”
    Basically, what this means is that in California, we should be more concerned about the fallout from nuclear testing over the last 50 years, than the fallout from Fukushima.
    But, I don’t want to scare you here.
    The vegetables tested – at least according to UC-Berkeley – have not shown detectable levels recently. This, like I said above, is good news. Our plant food appears safe.
    It’s possible our dairy food is safe too, but again, I’m not rushing to add any dairy back into my diet.
    For those who may be concerned about water, getting your water from a spring source is your best bet, since this water has likely been filtered, distilled and re-mineralized naturally. I don’t know of any spring water testing that shows either positive or negative results for radiation contamination.
    To wrap this up, let me give you a few tips that have been passed around – through I’m not convinced of their effectiveness at any higher level of exposure.
    Radiation Nutrition Tip 1: Eat more plants. Plants don’t tend to bio-accumulate these materials like animal foods do.
    Radiation Nutrition Tip 2: Eat iodine rich foods. Seaweeds are a great source of iodine, so adding these into your diet is a good plan. A body that has sufficient iodine will not uptake radioactive iodine isotopes like a body that is deficient. (Keep in mind, though, that these isotopes that are showing up are not iodine but cesium, so this may be irrelevant.)
    Radiation Nutrition Tip 3: Eat detoxifying foods like chlorella. Chlroella has shown promise when it comes to removing metals from the body, so adding this food can’t hurt – from a radioactive heavy metal standpoint. Keep in mind, chelation therapy is likely to be more effective at removing heavy metals – radioactive or not.
    Radiation Nutrition Tip 4: Don’t panic. Acute food neurosis can cause stress and illness. If you’re always panicked about the food you’re eating, I can almost guarantee – sooner or later – you’re going to get sick. You may not be able to control the amount of radioactive material in our environment, but you definitely are able to control how you think and react to it.
    There are of course other suggestions, but these seem to be some of the most easy to adopt.
    I wrote 6 months ago that the best protocol to avoid fallout was to move where there wasn’t any (here). I still believe that to be true, but at the same time I completely understand that most people aren’t able to do this.
    So if you can’t move, talk to the people who are providing your food. Ask them to test for you. If they value you as a customer (and are eating the food too) then chances are they’ll want to know as well.
    You do know who grows your food, right?

I want to know your thoughts: Do you eat foods from Japan now? Are you worried about fallout in our food supply?

Live Awesome!
    Kev

Source: UC Berkeley Nuclear Engineering Air Monitoring Station | Department of Nuclear Engineering

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I want to know your thoughts: Do you eat foods from Japan now? Are you worried about fallout in our food supply?[/B]
    Live Awesome!
    I do, obviously. The only imported foods over here are vegetables from China and cafo beef from the US. No thanks.
    There's not much you can do, so why worry? I'll be here for maybe two years. I'm more concerned about a second earthquake/tsunami and the potential for disaster on a global scale, than the fallout from Fukushima. But these events are extremely rare, and there's twice as many nuclear reactors in the US than Japan, and enough in the UK to make it a threat there too. Obviously quakes are way more common here, but big ones are still fairly rare.

I think your advice is sensible. Eat well, eat local (even in Japan, unless local is near Fukushima).

So yeah, there's concern here, but more about the future of nuclear power than current fallout, most of which seems to be heading out to sea anyway. That's not good of course, especially for the Pacific-sharing coastlines, but avoiding all foods from Japan seems like panic thinking rather than sensible risk avoidance.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Not even letting this into my list of things to avoid. That list is short, and currently all spots are taken.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    From Betorq's post above
    "Basically, what this means is that in California, we should be more concerned about the fallout from nuclear testing over the last 50 years, than the fallout from Fukushima."

It also means that all the so-called data showing "detectable levels" of radioactive nastiness here are pretty meaningless.

I like your attitude, Knifegill. On the big scale of things, this is not even up there on the list of things worth worrying about.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This thread needs a theme song:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast