Page 92 of 104 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 92

kimberley is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Doctors are huge idiots when it comes to weight loss and nutrition and they are even bigger idiots when it comes to women at that certain age. Even all the low-carb doctors out there are total idiots about women. We get to figure it all out on our own, unfortunately.

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished.
    You are right about doctors. I'm an RN, now lots of doctors...the saddest part is that so few women doctors are clueless too!

Re: hunting. I grew up in a family without much money but we never went hungry. We had a huge garden every year, spent all summer canning, raised our own chickens, and we ate lots of wild game and fresh fish. The last time I went hunting was with my mother who taught me how to field dress a deer. I think I was 14. I love fishing too! I'm thinking I should take up hunting and fishing again now that I am back in TX.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    worse than that, it isnt a one things works for all either. i am sure so much depends on how overweight you were when you were growing up, your genetic set point, how overweight you have been when you were older, for how long, long term nutritional issues, exercise history ad infinitum. n = 1 and even then it is frog in a boiling pot as the creep is so subtle that sometimes you cant tell what is or isnt effecting you without lots of guess work and theories. i sometimes feel like giving up too but then i would have to give up all the things i love doing as i would be too fat to move in the way i do!
    Oh totally. I spent 9 months doing the suggested Primal Blueprint fitness of less cardio, more weights and sprinting and the whole "you can be fit on way less exercise" route. Supposed to be a miracle weightloss scheme, right? Ha! 9 months and not much to show for it except I like the greater strength, that's for sure. But no weight loss, no miracle 6-pack abs, which I pretty much thought was a laughable prospect for an older woman to achieve with so little effort anyway, and plenty of bad stuff to show for it like chronic inflammation, chronic muscle soreness, a feeling that it was all just too much to be dialed up to 11 all the time. So I decided to try very low heart rate running and bicycling, 1 - 2.5 hours a day and no sprinting, no strength training and no high heart rate cardio. After 3 weeks I'm starting to see the scale just barely move. It takes soooo long to try something new and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    just hit the leaping tall buildings feeling here. and it feels sooo good. my gym performance didnt suffer at all and i just ran up the hill out the back better than usual.
    I love that feeling! I feel so good almost all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    The only trouble with the US Wellness pemmican is that it's sort of moist and the meat tastes cooked. I like the taste of it, but it really isn't real pemmican.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
    You must know my ex-husband....lol. For the first half of our 25 year marriage, my name was not on the checking account even though my paycheck was deposited into it every 2 weeks!
    I'm too young to have experienced this myself, plus I've never shared a checking account with anybody. I just remember that women being able to get their own names on a credit card was an advancement. I also remember my mom really liked watching One Day at a Time and The Mary Tyler Moore Show and some of the others like that on TV. Things were so different back then and even though I was young at the time, I could see how things were changing. I don't think young women really understand how different everything is now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    thank you! I will see if they ship to Canada

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My mother had to have her father co-sign for her credit card when she was a professional in her 20s working in a university library. My friend's mother had to get her father to co-sign her mortgage when she wanted to buy a house as a single 30-something woman with a good paying teaching job. These things are not far in our past at all. My grandmother was born before women got the vote. I think young women too often forget how recent and fragile those freedoms are. Too many women my age are clueless and take those things for granted.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I spent 9 months doing the suggested Primal Blueprint fitness of less cardio, more weights and sprinting and the whole "you can be fit on way less exercise" route. Supposed to be a miracle weightloss scheme,
    you see if i actually stick to the primal blueprint. avoid all those primal "treats", nuts and fruit like the plague, and if i cheat and have GF cake, it needs to only be once in a blue moon, it works. we are talking 3 meals a day, stuff like BAS, coffee with cream etc and maybe a sensible dessert once a week which IF i get in the right headspace is doable as. altho i do think the coffee with cream is what makes it doable lol my understanding of the pb fitness routine is move slowly lots ( i walk a good 4 miles a day over rough terrain at what i guess would be maffetone approved ), lift heavy weights ( i go to the gym and go hard with as big a weights as i can do 1x a week, lots of compound movements ), and sprint occasionally ( i do the odd sprint up the hill out the back or down the beach with the kids ). I am sure Mark has also said somewhere that 80% of your body comp is nutritional and I know the 6 pack is a function of body fat %ages. So for me, if i text book it, dont slip in the primal junk food, it works.
    Last edited by seaweed; 09-27-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: I cant spell!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have a question about nuts. Since macadamia is about the only solid food that is 98% fat, I was eating nuts for my breakfast (~ 2 oz, measured). So, my fats went up to 70%+ this week, proteins way down, carbs as prescribed (~ 25 g net), calories about 1500-1700, but I appear to be gaining. Is it nuts? Are nuts bad even if they are all fat because of some intrinsic badness? You can't use nuts as a food source? Because everything else that is pure fat is some kind of liquid or goo.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-27-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    thank you! I will see if they ship to Canada
    They don't ship internationally

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I have a question about nuts. Since macadamia is about the only solid food that is 98% fat, I was eating nuts for my breakfast (~ 2 oz, measured). So, my fats went up to 70%+ this week, proteins way down, carbs as prescribed (~ 25 g net), calories about 1500-1700, but I appear to be gaining. Is it nuts? Are nuts bad even if they are all fat because of some intrinsic badness? You can't use nuts as a food source? Because everything else that is pure fat is some kind of liquid or goo.
    What does "I appear to be gaining" mean exactly? Appear in the mirror? On the scale? It's only been a week. I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day and look soft or vascular all due to what or what time I eat.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Leida, do you keep a spreadsheet or anything? Perhaps you should. This is you 2 days ago:
    Okay, it is seaweed. I bloated up to 124.6 lbs overnight from Sun/Mon, almost 3 lbs. So, mystery solved. Makes seaweed an ideal Monday snack to salt up for the week and then have time to debloat.

Other than that, I started to feel really great, full on no-kidding energy. I did 36 min on x-trainer yesterday, fairly stead state. Then shopped for my lamb chops treat for b-day supper tonight. Also acquired a 7 lbs cabbage in the process... between the gear and the groceries, I am guessing my b-pack was some 15-20 lbs heavy and I lagged it up the hill and home for 30 min after my cardio with no problems. And ended up pretty happy full. In fact, that's my normal state atm, and my calories were about 1550 yesterday, which, considering cardio load ain't exactly horrid.

And still my mind tells me that it is my b-day, so have an apple. It's amazing how the

The only other trouble I am having is sleeping. I went to bed about 9 pm after fighting the 20 lbs turkey into half-submission (still need to slice the breast for the jerky, but I split it into 2 bone broth bags and a drumstick bag for roasting) and having a girlie-session of nail painting with my wee one... and woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 3 am. Which as good because I was able to jar my roast pumpkin puree and put it away. But still. 6 hours ain't exactly stellar. I hope eventually the sleep will normalize to at least my standard 7 hours with one wake-up.

Today I am back to lifting weights, we'll see if performance suffer drastically after 2 solid weeks on real low carb.
    This is you yesterday:

I have made yet another attempt at de-baconizing our pork order! I have been seeing Pork Belly on food TV for 2 days in a row, and, boy, I think I can cook it even if I don't cure it into Russian salo (frozen bacon made with just salt, spice and garlic). Russian, or Chinese, I am keeping fingers crossed to win against the wily butchers and farmers who keep curing our meat! Kindda funny when everyone is panicking about the bacon shortage.

I hit amazing 78% from fat yesterday. Alas, I also hit almost 1700 calories, so the weight is still holding. I think though, if I get maintenance this week, it is actually a good thing. But, will try fat fast to cheescake baking time, hoping to keep calories under 1,300 today. Only have time for walking, no gym.

Oh, in GREAT news about gym - no exaggerated soreness today, pretty pleased. Maybe excess calories helped?
    This is you today:

You seem to put WAY too much stock in day-to-day fluctuations. I suspect you probably weigh yourself more than once a day. You really should listen to those podcasts I posted a couple days ago. They might offer a little perspective.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I think it is best to only weigh once or twice a week. Right now I am weighing myself daily because I have been tracking my calories and macros lately as an experiment. In any case, it is best to weigh at the same time of day if you are doing the daily weigh-in. Weighing multiple times per day is pointless do to the weight of the food and drink you consume and water retention from your normal diet. You can be up or down based on whether you did a "poo" that day, lol. I measure once a week and there are times I lose 1- 4 inches with little or no weight loss. I try not to obsess over weight loss. I average five pounds per month loss and anything more than that is a bonus!

Page 92 of 104 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast