Page 91 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 91

meeme is offline Senior Member
    OH...Elk is wonderful! I could eat it all day. Have you eaten Moose? Bison is really good too. Thanks for the link. We have deer but I'd be reluctant for the same reasons you are PB.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    My dog is a really good tracker but I live an awfully long way from any open land with deer,
    there is sometimes the matter that the gas to get it, costs more than buying it. thinking about it too, the venison you get from NZ would be farmed? that is alot milder in flavour than wild venison. it doesnt have that sorta tang that gets described as gamey.

i dont mind guns but it is the person with the gun which is often the issue. i also am very leery of those open hunting blocks where anyone else may also be there with a gun. especially since my dog is the same size as a small fallow deer and a nice golden brown.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
    Thank you! It is so very frustrating to know you are doing everything right but are not seeing results. I actually had a doctor accuse me once of eating more calories than I reported. I DO weigh and measure and count everything I consume and have done so for years! Once upon a time I was a runner--marathon, half-marathons, lots of weekly miles and weight-training, but I certainly never had the "runner's body" that most people assume all runners have. Since hitting menopause 2 years ago, I have had a helluva time controlling my weight in spite of all my efforts. I have so many days when I just want to give up trying, but I won't allow myself to do that.

So thank you for saying I am NORMAL and not damaged, defective, or doing it wrong!
    Doctors are huge idiots when it comes to weight loss and nutrition and they are even bigger idiots when it comes to women at that certain age. Even all the low-carb doctors out there are total idiots about women. We get to figure it all out on our own, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    do you know if it is beef or sheep tallow?
    The coconut pemmican I made used beef tallow from US Wellness meats. It seemed like the absolute easiest way to get decent grass-fed tallow without a lot of hassle.

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished
    i so need a female hunting buddy! i have just been looking at a you tube of someone bow hunting a deer with a dog like mine. Vizsla pointing sika deer - YouTube this is something i would like to do. all our beef is grass fed. i just ask the butchers at the supermarket for a bag of beef fat and render it myself. you can cut the fat off a leg of lamb and do the same. the rinds that get left behind are ever so tasty. me and the dog fight over them lol
    Doctors are huge idiots when it comes to weight loss and nutrition and they are even bigger idiots when it comes to women at that certain age. Even all the low-carb doctors out there are total idiots about women. We get to figure it all out on our own, unfortunately.
    worse than that, it isnt a one things works for all either. i am sure so much depends on how overweight you were when you were growing up, your genetic set point, how overweight you have been when you were older, for how long, long term nutritional issues, exercise history ad infinitum. n = 1 and even then it is frog in a boiling pot as the creep is so subtle that sometimes you cant tell what is or isnt effecting you without lots of guess work and theories. i sometimes feel like giving up too but then i would have to give up all the things i love doing as i would be too fat to move in the way i do!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    OH...Elk is wonderful! I could eat it all day. Have you eaten Moose? Bison is really good too. Thanks for the link. We have deer but I'd be reluctant for the same reasons you are PB.
    That website only has moose once in a while but yes it is good, like beefier venison.

there is sometimes the matter that the gas to get it, costs more than buying it. thinking about it too, the venison you get from NZ would be farmed? that is alot milder in flavour than wild venison. it doesnt have that sorta tang that gets described as gamey.

i dont mind guns but it is the person with the gun which is often the issue. i also am very leery of those open hunting blocks where anyone else may also be there with a gun. especially since my dog is the same size as a small fallow deer and a nice golden brown.
    Good point about the NZ stuff being farmed. I think all the ElkUSA stuff is hunted though. Not sure. My dog is a brown/tan mix too and I wouldn't want to put him at risk like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished.
    This is why I got a female doctor. I love the classic statues of Diana and her trusty hounds.

i so need a female hunting buddy! i have just been looking at a you tube of someone bow hunting a deer with a dog like mine. Vizsla pointing sika deer - YouTube this is something i would like to do. all our beef is grass fed. i just ask the butchers at the supermarket for a bag of beef fat and render it myself. you can cut the fat off a leg of lamb and do the same. the rinds that get left behind are ever so tasty. me and the dog fight over them lol
    The crunchy bits left over after rendering bone marrow were soooo good.

So the nutritional analysis of Pemmican is in from Sparkpeople. I divided the batch into 16 ice cube tray little blocks. Figuring from 300 grams of rendered fat and an equal amount by weigh of pulverized venison for the batch and dividing by 16 we get:

per cube: 243 calories
    0g carb
    18g fat
    19g protein

I added garlic salt and turmeric to it for kick and it came out really yummy. The post Mark did on pemmican made it sound like survival food if you had to but not really something tasty. Well, mine is tasty, because that's just how we roll.

Good point about the NZ stuff being farmed. I think all the ElkUSA stuff is hunted though. Not sure. My dog is a brown/tan mix too and I wouldn't want to put him at risk like that.
    pure $ value, if we are talking replacement hound, i could prob afford a heli trip with a guide where they basically shoot it for you and have change and keep the deer! one totally raw fed fancy pants hunting hound adds up in value very quickly lol

The crunchy bits left over after rendering bone marrow were soooo good.
    how do you get the marrow out? i am assuming you rendered it raw?

just hit the leaping tall buildings feeling here. and it feels sooo good. my gym performance didnt suffer at all and i just ran up the hill out the back better than usual.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Roasting bones will begin to liquify the marrow...I did 20 min at 450---standing the bones on end in a glass baking dish...yum!

I notice that male deer are usually more gamey...also depends on whether the deer "hangs" before butchering.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    is there anywhere they sell pemmican already made....you guys are making it sound super yummy but I do not have time to attempt to prepare this....I wanna try it so bad though! maybe I can pay someone to mail it to me! lol

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    is there anywhere they sell pemmican already made....you guys are making it sound super yummy but I do not have time to attempt to prepare this....I wanna try it so bad though! maybe I can pay someone to mail it to me! lol
    U.S. Wellness sells it:
    U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

kimberley is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    P.S. I remember when women were not allowed to have a credit card in their own name.
    You must know my ex-husband....lol. For the first half of our 25 year marriage, my name was not on the checking account even though my paycheck was deposited into it every 2 weeks!

Page 91 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast