Page 90 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 90

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    thanks for that link on pemmican. I have never tried this...we have oven dried venison jerky before. I dont even know what pemmican is...but it sounds right up my alley! Also, rendered venison bones scare me...are they NOT gamey like venison fat? We always trim off the venison fat because it doesnt taste very good IMO...however, perhaps the marrow is different? Deer season opens this weekend...we need to restock!
    The premise behind pemmican is that you separate the two elements of meat, the fat and the lean, then prepare them, the lean dried then pulverized and the fat rendered and strained. Then when you put them back together you get these little fat and protein bombs that will keep almost indefinitely. The bones I used were grass fed beef. The marrow did render out nicely leaving me with a heap of bones which are now yielding bone broth in the crock pot. A nice by product of rendering is the crunchy little bits left over when you have strained off the pure fat. I think they are called "cracklins". I just had beef marrow cracklins for dinner. Happy tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The low temp drying is probably similar to how much better a steak is when you cook it super low temp in the oven and then eat it super rare.
    Yes, the venison taste was very clear in the final product. I don't understand when people say venison tastes "gamey" as if that is a bad thing. I think the low temp drying is important. The only other time I tried this I did it by Mark's post on the subject at a much higher heat and the result was edible but only if you were really hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    finally feeling good this morning. off to the gym so a good test. got a flask of pork broth for a post workout meal. i think i have nutted it out that it was eating too many calories to prevent cravings for the wrong things wearing me out lol
    Yes. Much better than protein powder shakes.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    we eat a lot of venison...3 to 4 deer per year. So, I can tell between a gamey and non-gamey deer. I will eat any of it...but there is a distinct taste difference...both taste like deer, but one gamey one can taste...um...worse!

Paleobird Guest
    we eat a lot of venison...3 to 4 deer per year. So, I can tell between a gamey and non-gamey deer. I will eat any of it...but there is a distinct taste difference...both taste like deer, but one gamey one can taste...um...worse!
    Hmm. I guess I don't get to eat deer often enough to know the difference. We have silly laws here in California about being able to hunt but not to sell what you killed so, I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market. When they do I buy a bunch and freeze it. That is what I am using up right now since my new little lamb is going to be arriving Saturday. I need to clear out the freezer space.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    i've YET to try lamb! Hubby isnt on board yet...but soon I will make the purchase!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hmm. I guess I don't get to eat deer often enough to know the difference. We have silly laws here in California about being able to hunt but not to sell what you killed so, I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market. When they do I buy a bunch and freeze it. That is what I am using up right now since my new little lamb is going to be arriving Saturday. I need to clear out the freezer space.
    Doesn't that mean that the solution is for you to hunt your own deer?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I really have to make pemmincan; I have a freezer full of pastured beef and we rendered lots of tallow. Thanks for the link; the instructions look very detailed.

Paleobird Guest
    i've YET to try lamb! Hubby isnt on board yet...but soon I will make the purchase!
    Real good pastured lamb is phenomenal. Drag him on board if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Doesn't that mean that the solution is for you to hunt your own deer?
    I'm not sure this city girl is quite THAT Primal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I really have to make pemmincan; I have a freezer full of pastured beef and we rendered lots of tallow. Thanks for the link; the instructions look very detailed.
    I found his pictures were very accurate too and gave me a good idea of what to expect.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    it could be if it is a male or female deer, time of year so what they are eating or if they are rutting. i find different species of deer taste different too.

I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market
    how crazy is that. you need to find someone who hunts and either give them cash or barter.

I'm not sure this city girl is quite THAT Primal yet.
    it helps to either have a dog who can find deer, a big gun and/or someone with a big gun who knows how to find them. that is the difficult bit. the rest is just disection and biology. great fun tho even if you get nothing as it is a real good excuse to hardcore bush bash. i have seen some real cool youtubes of people bow hunting deer with dogs in the bush too.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i've YET to try lamb!
    missed this! you havent lived lol you can do some mean greek marinated lamb recipes or middle eastern stuff with it. Greek Grill-Out | theclothesmakethegirl the hubby will love it.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My dog is a really good tracker but I live an awfully long way from any open land with deer, All the places I hike around here are either local, state or national parks. Unlike some states where you walk out your back gate and are in the woods. Northern California has some nice woods but SoCal has a lot more desert-y areas.

I'm also a little leery of "big guns". I wouldn't get grossed out by the butchering. I often thought about becoming a surgeon as a kid. But what would scare me is the thought that I would just wing the poor thing and cause it to suffer instead of a clean kill.

My other alternative place for purchasing deer is an online retailer from Colorado called Grande Natural Meats. They sell elk, goat, bison, deer, moose, etc. I really like them. Their website is ElkUSA.com if anybody is looking for game meat.

Page 90 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast