Page 87 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1036

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 87

  1. #861
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,016
    Shop Now
    When I hiked the Pacific Crest people would tell me all the time my metabolism must be raging fast by now. I always knew deep in my bones that it was the exact opposite. That it was now slower. I would tell them this and they'd look confused. Why wouldn't it slow? If it sped up you would never be able to get enough to eat and you would die.
    this makes sense. so does your metabolism just slow down while you are exercising? as that also makes sense. other than my weekly trips to the gym to lift big weights,i absolutely try to stick to natural movement patterns.

  2. #862
    jacmac's Avatar
    jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    527
    Hi Sb

    if we were in the same room I would give you a hug for this statement (I hope that does not sound creepy!)!

    Weight loss is very very slow for the majority of people. If it's slow for you, you are NORMAL, not damaged, defective or doing it wrong. Just keep going, keep yourself focused on what has been successful

    This is so what most of us reasonably newbies need to hear from veterans on these threads. I will remind myself of this if I put on weight starting to eat more fat, I am finishing up a whole 30 mostly because I said I would and because I started it , so gotta finish but can't wait to start introducing the whole fat idea.
    Jackie

  3. #863
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    [QUOTE=sbhikes;961676]If it sped up you would never be able to get enough to eat and you would die.

    I actually do not believe that having a slow metabolism is an impediment to weight loss at all. A slower metabolism may even indicate better health. It shouldn't matter one bit what my metabolism is doing because if it's slower then I ought to get hungry slower, too.

    But pointing out that metabolism slows was one thing brought up in the podcast so I mentioned it.

    The other things were explanations for why so many people don't just see the pounds melt off effortlessly without doing anything more than eating low carb. If you are one of the lucky ones who does see the pounds melt off all the way to perfect weight without hardly having to try hard, then you are lucky. If you aren't, then you don't have to beat yourself up wondering what on earth you are doing wrong, why you aren't having the success others are, why are you being so perfect and it's still not working and all that stuff. That's just the way it is for a lot of people. Those people tend to slink off the discussion forums and quit their diets and don't tend to write about their experiences, hence a lot of people will wonder what's wrong with them when actually nothing is wrong. Or worse, like that Griff guy, they get attacked on forums and driven away because the success they had wasn't "good enough" for everybody else.

    Weight loss is very very slow for the majority of people. If it's slow for you, you are NORMAL, not damaged, defective or doing it wrong. Just keep going, keep yourself focused on what has been successful, get outside help if you suspect a real metabolic problem and basically stay the course. That was the main point.[
    /QUOTE]

    Wonderful post SB, Thank You. I'm like my Morgan horses...a very easy keeper.

  4. #864
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    6 months of weight maintenance is pretty freaking amazing.
    Yes, it is an amazing accomplishment! I maintained my initial weigh loss for about a year which is a miracle and now I am losing again which is another miracle. Like you said we have to focus on the succeses that we have and maintaining a weight loss is a huge success!

    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I doing my first try at roasting marrow bones for lunch today...they are out of the oven and I'm waiting on some bacon to accompany. I feel like my whole world has once again changed in the food dept---and it is terribly exciting!
    Same here...exciting to have a change in the food debt. Where do I find marrow bones??

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Er... well, I'm a free-spirit sort of cook. But here's an approximation:

    Ground Bison Stroganoff

    1 lb/454g ground bison
    About 1/2 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    Two handfuls of sliced mushrooms (I have small hands, you might need only one handful)
    A glug or two of red wine or cooking sherry
    About 1/2 container mascarpone cheese (4oz/113g), or more if you want it cheesier
    Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

    Saute the bison, onion, garlic, and bay leaf until the onion is slightly transparent (maybe 5 minutes?) Add in the mushrooms and wine, simmer until the sauce is reduced a bit and the bison is cooked (another 10 minutes or so). Reduce heat to low, stir in the mascarpone until it's melted--that doesn't take long!

    Serve over steamed zucchini "noodles", spaghetti squash "noodles", or kelp noodles. Don't eat the bay leaf!

    Makes enough for two primal people, plus leftovers for breakfast the next day!
    Yum... can't wait to try this! Thanks for the recipe!

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    These two podcasts explain everything. Explains Paleobird's experiences. Explains mine. Even explains Leida's. If you are a woman, these two have the answers. They aren't pretty, but they are honest.

    27: Jenny Ruhl | Overcoming The Problems With A Low-Carb Diet | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts
    23: Long-Term Stalls & Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet | Dr. Stephen Phinney | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts
    Thanks... I will listen to these and thanks for the summary, too!

  5. #865
    Catrin's Avatar
    Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    400
    I've become addicted to bone broth. I am still tracking my diet until all of this is more of a habit and I am comfortable that I am getting the micro/macro nutrients I think I am. I know that each batch of bone broth is going to have a different profile because there really isn't a way to standardize it. I've been stumped on how to treat my bone broth when I track it, and for lack of any other input, I've decided to treat 1-2 cups of bone broth as 1 tablespoon of lard. Does this sound unreasonable? Too high, too low? Just wondering how others have chosen to treat bone broth.

    Another reason I still track is to make certain I don't over-eat in calories. What makes up those calories is of course more important, but if I get too many calories then I can't lose those remaining 5-6 pounds...and I am very active so I also can't afford to have my body start storing everything as fat again because it thinks I am trying to starve it. Been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt...

  6. #866
    Sigi's Avatar
    Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you are one of the lucky ones who does see the pounds melt off all the way to perfect weight without hardly having to try hard, then you are lucky. If you aren't, then you don't have to beat yourself up wondering what on earth you are doing wrong, why you aren't having the success others are, why are you being so perfect and it's still not working and all that stuff. That's just the way it is for a lot of people. Those people tend to slink off the discussion forums and quit their diets and don't tend to write about their experiences, hence a lot of people will wonder what's wrong with them when actually nothing is wrong. Or worse, like that Griff guy, they get attacked on forums and driven away because the success they had wasn't "good enough" for everybody else.

    Weight loss is very very slow for the majority of people. If it's slow for you, you are NORMAL, not damaged, defective or doing it wrong. Just keep going, keep yourself focused on what has been successful, get outside help if you suspect a real metabolic problem and basically stay the course. That was the main point.
    QFT. I need to remind myself of this regularly. Slow but sure and safe is better than nothing at bloody all. Thanks, SB.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

    Oscar Wilde

  7. #867
    NourishedEm's Avatar
    NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've become addicted to bone broth. I am still tracking my diet until all of this is more of a habit and I am comfortable that I am getting the micro/macro nutrients I think I am. I know that each batch of bone broth is going to have a different profile because there really isn't a way to standardize it. I've been stumped on how to treat my bone broth when I track it, and for lack of any other input, I've decided to treat 1-2 cups of bone broth as 1 tablespoon of lard. Does this sound unreasonable? Too high, too low? Just wondering how others have chosen to treat bone broth.

    Another reason I still track is to make certain I don't over-eat in calories. What makes up those calories is of course more important, but if I get too many calories then I can't lose those remaining 5-6 pounds...and I am very active so I also can't afford to have my body start storing everything as fat again because it thinks I am trying to starve it. Been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt...
    Here you go.

  8. #868
    Catrin's Avatar
    Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Here you go.
    Thank you, at least this provides an approximate measure. More carbs than I realized though, will have to take that into consideration. I try to stay under 80 unless it is a very hard workout day - though I still try to keep it under 100 if I can.

  9. #869
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Okay, it is seaweed. I bloated up to 124.6 lbs overnight from Sun/Mon, almost 3 lbs. So, mystery solved. Makes seaweed an ideal Monday snack to salt up for the week and then have time to debloat.

    Other than that, I started to feel really great, full on no-kidding energy. I did 36 min on x-trainer yesterday, fairly stead state. Then shopped for my lamb chops treat for b-day supper tonight. Also acquired a 7 lbs cabbage in the process... between the gear and the groceries, I am guessing my b-pack was some 15-20 lbs heavy and I lagged it up the hill and home for 30 min after my cardio with no problems. And ended up pretty happy full. In fact, that's my normal state atm, and my calories were about 1550 yesterday, which, considering cardio load ain't exactly horrid.

    And still my mind tells me that it is my b-day, so have an apple. It's amazing how the

    The only other trouble I am having is sleeping. I went to bed about 9 pm after fighting the 20 lbs turkey into half-submission (still need to slice the breast for the jerky, but I split it into 2 bone broth bags and a drumstick bag for roasting) and having a girlie-session of nail painting with my wee one... and woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 3 am. Which as good because I was able to jar my roast pumpkin puree and put it away. But still. 6 hours ain't exactly stellar. I hope eventually the sleep will normalize to at least my standard 7 hours with one wake-up.

    Today I am back to lifting weights, we'll see if performance suffer drastically after 2 solid weeks on real low carb.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  10. #870
    Zanna's Avatar
    Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Thank you, at least this provides an approximate measure. More carbs than I realized though, will have to take that into consideration. I try to stay under 80 unless it is a very hard workout day - though I still try to keep it under 100 if I can.
    I am surprised the carb count is so high. There is no sugar and I strain any vegetables used for flavor out before jarring.

Page 87 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •