Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 86

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    These two podcasts explain everything. Explains Paleobird's experiences. Explains mine. Even explains Leida's. If you are a woman, these two have the answers. They aren't pretty, but they are honest.

27: Jenny Ruhl | Overcoming The Problems With A Low-Carb Diet | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts
    23: Long-Term Stalls & Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet | Dr. Stephen Phinney | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    Thanks sbhikes!
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    can you summarise the podcasts as i cant download something that big or is there somewhere on the net there is a transcript? from absolute personal experience, it is how much i eat that effects my weight. i am female and 47 too. last time i injured my ankle and couldnt walk properly, i lay in bed for something wild like 10 days ( other than getting up to send the kids to school and back ) and ate stuff all and the weight fell off. if i eat heaps and snack lots, even if i exercise heaps, i still put on weight. re: ketosis, i am just over 2 weeks of trying. no sugar, no grains and no carbs other than non starchy veges. i still feel very lack lustre. i am playing with ditching caffeine as well which could well be throwing a spanner in the works as last time i did that, i had to go to bed at about 7pm for 2 weeks solid! what does worry me tho is the fact i feel cold. i still freak about the thyroid thing. i have been trying to eat way more seafood as that piece of the low carb thyroid theory makes total sense to me.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    can you summarise the podcasts as i cant download something that big or is there somewhere on the net there is a transcript? from absolute personal experience, it is how much i eat that effects my weight. i am female and 47 too. last time i injured my ankle and couldnt walk properly, i lay in bed for something wild like 10 days ( other than getting up to send the kids to school and back ) and ate stuff all and the weight fell off. if i eat heaps and snack lots, even if i exercise heaps, i still put on weight. re: ketosis, i am just over 2 weeks of trying. no sugar, no grains and no carbs other than non starchy veges. i still feel very lack lustre. i am playing with ditching caffeine as well which could well be throwing a spanner in the works as last time i did that, i had to go to bed at about 7pm for 2 weeks solid! what does worry me tho is the fact i feel cold. i still freak about the thyroid thing. i have been trying to eat way more seafood as that piece of the low carb thyroid theory makes total sense to me.
    Hi seaweed, I'm hypothyroid and tackling ketosis again after doing it all wrong before. Here's a couple of tricks for when you start to feel cold (which is an indication of low thyroid). Firstly eat something, preferably something with easily digestible protein and fat. I find a hard boiled egg in my MCT oil mayo works really well. The second thing and this is almost more important, have some salt. Low carb causes our kidneys to flush a lot of sodium and that stresses the adrenals which are part of the compensation for low thyroid function. I use sole water and stir a teaspoon into a glass of water when I feel any symptoms at all. I can't stress how important including regular salt is and how much it helps.

I wish there were transcripts as I hate listening to podcasts with a passion. But basically the takeaway message is:
    - If you are female, especially if you are female and old, low carb works for weight loss because the appetite control helps you eat less.
    - If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less.
    - Count calories, get a food scale and weigh and measure everything. You will be very surprised how small a serving actually is.
    - If you are old, you can't eat nearly as much food as a young person can.
    - If you want to lose that last 20lbs you may have to live the rest of your life on a strict diet and endure a lot of hunger.
    - There are many people for whom weight loss beyond a certain point is not possible. Those people should revise their goals to something more realistic.
    - There actually are other metabolic things going on for a lot of people. Sometimes you need to see a doctor and yes, it's hard to find one who can truly help you.
    - Also there is a lot that researchers simply do not know yet about metabolism. It may be that nobody can help you yet.
    - If you lost a bunch of weight and kept it off, that's a huge victory. You are already in the top 2% or something of people who've lost weight if you've been able to keep it off for 6 months or a year. Enjoy that success. It's actually a huge success.
    - Or maybe your success is you've gotten off all your meds, fixed your diabetes, can do things you couldn't do before. That's also huge.
    - Most people have unrealistic ideas of success and that is usually encouraged by all diet books (including Mark's) otherwise they would not be able to sell the books (or probably get them published.)
    - The dirty little secret nobody ever tells you is that your metabolism actually slows down with exercise (from 5% to 15% slow down).
    - You never burn off as many calories as you think with exercise.

Long story short: Calories matter.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Nice summary, thanks sbhikes
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    If you want to lose that last 20lbs you may have to live the rest of your life on a strict diet and endure a lot of hunger.
    the times in life when i have been real lean as a pose to "healthy" weight, i have not felt hungry. i just didnt eat between meals. or notice i wasnt eating between meals. i definitely was not white knuckling anything and i get fat easily. i find i eat more when i obsess about my weight and nutrition, whereas when i have something else to do, i am fine. i also have read that exercise keeps your metabolic rate from dropping as fast over the years. if you think about it, till very recently, most people would have been doing what we class as exercise all day. the more i read, the more i get confused lol and also, why were fat old people rare when i was a kid. fat kids too were the curiosity. not the norm like they are now.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I think what Mark says about exercise is very important. He stresses the fact that too much cardio and too much time per day/week of exercise can cause you to stall or even gain weight. Less can be more. People have been brainwashed into thinking that if 20 minutes of exercise makes you more insulin sensitive and you burn some calories, two hours must be even better. NOT! I have mentioned the following elsewhere , so pardon me if I sound like an ad, but in June I started an exercise program called T-Tapp, originated by Teresa Tapp. It is based on spinal alignment and moving more than one muscle group at a time in ways that exercise the muscle at both the origin and the insertion. It is supposed to give you long, lean muscles with good density rather than bulk. It can debulk muscles if you have areas you want to slim down. The exercises appear easy but if you are using correct form you will be sore and sweating. I do 15-20 minutes a day five or six days a week and it is helping me rehab bad joints as well as lose inches. I am totally sold on this program as the smartest and most effective way to exercise.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I just discovered a yummy and satisfying breakfast. As some of you may know I'm in the hospital with DS (we've been here 2 weeks) but that's another story. Anyway I don't have access to a full kitchen but I do have a fridge in our room and access to a microwave, so I'm learning what I can make with a microwave (I don't have one at home). I had left-over spinach and red onion from a salad last night so I cut up the onion and added butter, about 1 TB., nuked that for about 1 minute and added spinach, nuked it for about 20 seconds. To that I added 1/2 TB cream cheese and 3 slices of bacon. Boy was that good and it really held me! I'm keeping organic cream and butter in our room and that improves just about anything.

It was Phinney who said that exercise slows the metabolism. In their book it says that there are 4 well done studies that demonstrate that the metabolism is slowed 5-15% on average in people doing endurance activities. There are NO poorly done studies that show the opposite and a few poorly done studies that agree.

When I hiked the Pacific Crest people would tell me all the time my metabolism must be raging fast by now. I always knew deep in my bones that it was the exact opposite. That it was now slower. I would tell them this and they'd look confused. Why wouldn't it slow? If it sped up you would never be able to get enough to eat and you would die.

I actually do not believe that having a slow metabolism is an impediment to weight loss at all. A slower metabolism may even indicate better health. It shouldn't matter one bit what my metabolism is doing because if it's slower then I ought to get hungry slower, too.

But pointing out that metabolism slows was one thing brought up in the podcast so I mentioned it.

The other things were explanations for why so many people don't just see the pounds melt off effortlessly without doing anything more than eating low carb. If you are one of the lucky ones who does see the pounds melt off all the way to perfect weight without hardly having to try hard, then you are lucky. If you aren't, then you don't have to beat yourself up wondering what on earth you are doing wrong, why you aren't having the success others are, why are you being so perfect and it's still not working and all that stuff. That's just the way it is for a lot of people. Those people tend to slink off the discussion forums and quit their diets and don't tend to write about their experiences, hence a lot of people will wonder what's wrong with them when actually nothing is wrong. Or worse, like that Griff guy, they get attacked on forums and driven away because the success they had wasn't "good enough" for everybody else.

Weight loss is very very slow for the majority of people. If it's slow for you, you are NORMAL, not damaged, defective or doing it wrong. Just keep going, keep yourself focused on what has been successful, get outside help if you suspect a real metabolic problem and basically stay the course. That was the main point.

Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast