Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 85

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I use it to make ground bison stroganoff!

Oooooo! Recipe?!?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Oooooo! Recipe?!?
    Er... well, I'm a free-spirit sort of cook. But here's an approximation:

Ground Bison Stroganoff

1 lb/454g ground bison
    About 1/2 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    Two handfuls of sliced mushrooms (I have small hands, you might need only one handful)
    A glug or two of red wine or cooking sherry
    About 1/2 container mascarpone cheese (4oz/113g), or more if you want it cheesier
    Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Saute the bison, onion, garlic, and bay leaf until the onion is slightly transparent (maybe 5 minutes?) Add in the mushrooms and wine, simmer until the sauce is reduced a bit and the bison is cooked (another 10 minutes or so). Reduce heat to low, stir in the mascarpone until it's melted--that doesn't take long!

Serve over steamed zucchini "noodles", spaghetti squash "noodles", or kelp noodles. Don't eat the bay leaf!

Makes enough for two primal people, plus leftovers for breakfast the next day!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    That sounds YUMMY!! Thanks for sharing!!

kimberley is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for your post. I have only been following paleo for a month and have been very frustrated because I have seen absolutely no progress. The scale just won't budge. Prior to paleo I had been counting calories FOREVER and keeping my count at only 1200 per day and was constantly hungry. Calorie counting did absolutely nothing for me either. I've been told by other paleo followers to eat more calories and increase fat, but as stated before, that isn't working for me. So, this week I am going to try reducing my caloric intake to see if this makes a difference. I have no problem keeping my carbs at 50g per day but I think I initially went a little crazy with the fats. I would like to read more about deep nutritional ketosis.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Kimberly how much weight are you wanting to lose? Also, keep a close eye on your proteins. In order to reach ketosis many will need to control their protein portions.

Also, what was your eating like before paleo? For some people, their body needs to go through a lot of healing before they can release weight. One month feels like forever, but look to see if there have been any other positive changes besides the scale.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Control weigh in: 122 lbs. Yes, another week-end that I managed without a carb up. I believe that seaweed is what gives me a huge weight gain after consumption, since it is so salty. I had a miserable day of water re-balance on Saturday (eww, the dashes). I can't believe I used to try to hit 'drinking water goal in my past subjecting myself to this kind of experience every day deliberately. I know that seaweed is important to iodine when you are on a low carb, but I am going to limit seaweed eating to 1 day a week, maybe on Monday or Tuesday so it rolls up with the weekend gain and clears fast.

Overall, I feel positive, but I still crave apples very much. I have sweats and fatigue once in a while, and muscle soreness is still a 2 day event after any muscular exertion. Other than that, I find it relatively inconsequential.

Yesterday, my husband and my daughter were sampling the chocolates that our aunt sent from England for our birthdays. It was not easy to stay in the kitchen, head down with working on making the sweet potato chips and hearing that the things were very pretty and very lovely. But the good control weigh-in helped. Now, I just have to get through baking the mini-cheesecakes on Wednesday night.
    Maybe you have or haven't read about this subject more since posting this about seaweed making you gain weight or retain water, but here goes....

This is Dr. Andrew Weil's site from Dec 2006 A Seaweed Way to Weight Loss? - Ask Dr. Weil.

And these are from the past year or two:

1) 6 Best Sea Vegetables - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet! famous weight ...

Sea
    vegetables have gained a lot of popularity due to the important role they play in weight loss, detoxification and cellulite control. People who want to
    www.3fatchicks.com/6-best-sea-vegetables - Cached

2)Healthy weight loss the natural way - Seaweed is the secret ...

In order for you to achieve healthy weight loss ... richer source of vegetable protein sea vegetables. Taking seaweed daily gets you to achieve healthy weight loss
    www.oceanvegetables.com/healthy-weight-loss.html - Cached

3.Boost Metabolism to Fight Weight Gain | PotentSea Organic Sea ..
    The health benefits of sea vegetables range from breast cancer prevention, to weight loss by boosting metabolism ...www.potentsea.com/boost-metabolism-to-fight-weight-gain.html - Cached
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat seaweed for weight loss, as a protein source or for any miracle thing. Just to boost iodine, since I like cabbages and that + low carb diet supposedly screws thyroid, so I figure, I'd eat a bit of roast seaweed instead of popping a pill. I buy a 35 g package of bullweed and it lasts me a week or two. It tastes sort of like super-salty chips.

I ate it today, and if I bounce a few lbs up tomorrow, I will know for sure that it is salt in seaweed keeping water put. Jillian said that 1 pickle could get you to hold on to like 2 lbs of water. That seaweed is saltier than a pickle.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-24-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am glad you are not offended. I am going to edit the post just in case. I will try not to express my feelings outside my Journal.
    FWIW, Leida, I took your post as meaning that your weigh-in experience helped to reinforce your current way of eating in a situation that could have been tempting otherwise. I don't see any need to edit your post - you can't be held responsible for how anyone else will experience your own story.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What Unicorn objected to is me calling myself names, depending on which weight range I fall into. I am very used to it, but since there is a concern that people might be projecting, I would listen to it. I just don't want to rise negative emotions in others by expressing my own. At any rate, I need to learn to express emotions in the Journal, where people expect exposes... hopefully!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
    Thank you for your post. I have only been following paleo for a month and have been very frustrated because I have seen absolutely no progress. The scale just won't budge. Prior to paleo I had been counting calories FOREVER and keeping my count at only 1200 per day and was constantly hungry. Calorie counting did absolutely nothing for me either. I've been told by other paleo followers to eat more calories and increase fat, but as stated before, that isn't working for me. So, this week I am going to try reducing my caloric intake to see if this makes a difference. I have no problem keeping my carbs at 50g per day but I think I initially went a little crazy with the fats. I would like to read more about deep nutritional ketosis.
    I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. I've been Primal for a month and I haven't dropped a lb!! I'm thinking that it may take time to adjust coz my insulin levels are well out of whack (I'm type 2 diabetic) I haven't had any grains, but I have had "primal" brownies a few times, sweet potato and milk - all of these things spike my blood sugar....not good

So, I've decided to start Whole30 in October - eliminating anything that could spike my blood sugar and dairy - and I won't weigh myself constantly (like I'm doing now)

Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast