Page 84 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 84

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Control weigh in: 122 lbs. Yes, another week-end that I managed without a carb up. I believe that seaweed is what gives me a huge weight gain after consumption, since it is so salty. I had a miserable day of water re-balance on Saturday (eww, the dashes). I can't believe I used to try to hit 'drinking water goal in my past subjecting myself to this kind of experience every day deliberately. I know that seaweed is important to iodine when you are on a low carb, but I am going to limit seaweed eating to 1 day a week, maybe on Monday or Tuesday so it rolls up with the weekend gain and clears fast.

Overall, I feel positive, but I still crave apples very much. I have sweats and fatigue once in a while, and muscle soreness is still a 2 day event after any muscular exertion. Other than that, I find it relatively inconsequential.

Yesterday, my husband and my daughter were sampling the chocolates that our aunt sent from England for our birthdays. It was not easy to stay in the kitchen, head down with working on making the sweet potato chips and hearing that the things were very pretty and very lovely. But the good control weigh-in helped. Now, I just have to get through baking the mini-cheesecakes on Wednesday night.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-24-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Do you make your own? The ones I've found in the markets all have yucky oils. Any good recipes?
    Yes I make mine own... I have mastered kale chips! Just break up your leaves (I really like Red Bor kale, but all kinds are great), rinse and shake out extra water and put in a large bowl. Melt lots of coconut oil (maybe 3 Tbsp) and pour over your leaves. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne (not too much) and massage with hands until leaves are coated evenly. Spread leaves (facing upwards) in a single layer on a baking sheet - not overlapping! Cook at 375 for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Coconut oil makes them crunchier than olive oil and they don't taste like coconut oil!! And like Owly, I can easily eat a whole bunch of kale in one sitting and without the bloat!
    Last edited by healthy11; 09-24-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I got some marscapone cheese. It's really bland. What do I do with it?
    I use it to make ground bison stroganoff!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Control weigh in: 122 lbs - so I just touched the top of my 'from a fat cow to human' range, leaving the 'whale' range firmly behind. And, yes, another week-end that I managed without a carb up. I believe that seaweed is what gives me a huge weight gain after consumption, since it is so salty. I had a miserable day of water re-balance on Saturday (eww, the dashes). I can't believe I used to try to hit 'drinking water goal in my past subjecting myself to this kind of experience every day deliberately. I know that seaweed is important to iodine when you are on a low carb, but I am going to limit seaweed eating to 1 day a week, maybe on Monday or Tuesday so it rolls up with the weekend gain and clears fast.

Overall, I feel positive, but I still crave apples very much. I have sweats and fatigue once in a while, and muscle soreness is still a 2 day event after any muscular exertion. Other than that, I find it relatively inconsequential.

Yesterday, my husband and my daughter were sampling the chocolates that our aunt sent from England for our birthdays. It was not easy to stay in the kitchen, head down with working on making the sweet potato chips and hearing that the things were very pretty and very lovely. But the good control weigh-in helped. Now, I just have to get through baking the mini-cheesecakes on Wednesday night.
    Glad to see you are hanging in there and reaping the rewards Leida! Good stuff!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Control weigh in: 122 lbs - so I just touched the top of my 'from a fat cow to human' range, leaving the 'whale' range firmly behind.
    How unfortunate that you still have so much of your self worth wrapped up in the number on the scale. Perhaps with time you can move on to a more relaxed, accepting stage where you can love yourself just as well at 122 lbs as 125. You are still the same person inside, why are you less acceptable at 3 lbs more? In the end, what is really different about YOU when you weigh 3 lbs less? I cringe for those who read those numbers who are at a heavier weight, and may read that and think "It's hopeless. If someone at 122 lbs thinks they are a 'whale' then what am I? I am just trying to get healthy, and I will never be 122 lbs. If she saw a picture of me would she call me a 'whale'?" You may want to rethink your language to prevent unnecessarily hurting someone with your adjectives.

Moving on.....

For those who continue to exercise through fat adapation, did you notice any difference in strength/endurance? I have noticed a steady decline in workout performance over the past 2 weeks. Are my muscles just fighting fat adaptation? I have plenty of energy for day to day tasks, running after the kids, work, etc. But when I get into the weight lifting, I am struggling with maintaining the weights I have been using before. Also in yoga, I do not have the endurance for holding poses as long. Kind of frustrating!

I am sorry it hurts you, it was in no way intentional. I am very egocentric when it comes to my weight, and judge only myself and very specifically on my weight and only compared to myself, because I know how my body looks at a particular weight and how I feel about it. I thought and thought about accepting a weight gain, and the fat rolls and the muffin top, and not fitting in my wardrobe and stuff, and it doesn't work for me. I just don't feel right when I gain weight. I am sorry about expressing this feeling openly, I will keep it to my journal. Do you want me to edit my post?

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I am not personally hurt by your posts. One of the most fantastic things with primal is for the first time EVER in my life, I can look in a mirror and love who I am, love who I see, regardless of what the number on the scale says. I am just as attractive, intelligent, sexy, competent, and strong whether I am 10 lbs less or more. Yes, I feel fantastic 10 lbs less. No doubt. But my sense of self worth is not wrapped up in my relationship with gravity.

However, I have seen many on this forum who are far more vulnerable to reading someone verbally bashing themselves about their weight. Reading those words could further erode their self esteem and confidence in their ability to move forwards towards better health. One of the nice things about this forum is the *intent* that one can gain acceptance of where they are, and progress towards a better state without guilt or shame of where they began.

I am glad you are not offended. I am going to edit the post just in case. I will try not to express my feelings outside my Journal.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-24-2012 at 08:13 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm a whale. Moo. I don't care, really. Sometimes I do, but 6 months of weight maintenance is pretty freaking amazing.

I can't say that going low carb caused me any performance declines but I was never a weight lifter type before, always an endurance type. For endurance I have found that low carb is a miracle secret weapon. It took my already significant prowess and made me so amazingly invincible I can't believe it.

By the way, I downloaded and read Art and Science of Low Carb Performance over the weekend. I was a little frustrated by their other book that they never actually made it very clear what "well formulated" meant. Now I know: sub 50g carb, .6-1g per lb lean body mass protein, plenty of fats from good sources (thought that was interesting about the athletes all complaining about the mayonnaise), salt a half hour before exercise. I tried the salt yesterday and it really did make a difference. I believe they did studies that showed well formulated low carb diets allowed for positive changes in body composition and performance in weight-lifting type activities, too, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to that stuff.

The stories at the end were great because they were so similar to my own experience.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I doing my first try at roasting marrow bones for lunch today...they are out of the oven and I'm waiting on some bacon to accompany. I feel like my whole world has once again changed in the food dept---and it is terribly exciting!

Page 84 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast