Page 81 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 81

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    are you getting the organs and the fat? or do you get it all neatly chopped into cuts? if you get the fat, render it down to tallow. the scratchings it leaves are so nice. dad used to make lamb curry when i was a kid by chopping the fat off the lamb shoulder and rendering it down and then cooking the lamb in its own fat. we used to fight over the scratchings.
    It is all cut up and packaged but I am getting the odd bits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My concerns with the ketosis are that I eat very little actual food volumetrically, if I try for reduced protein and 70% fat. I am concerned about the very small vegetable intake, and restricted variety of the vegetables - mostly cabbages, celery and cucumbers, with avocado, pepper and tomato, rarely. I so far was unable to include beets, turnips or rutabagas. Volume seriously suffers once the higher carb vegetables show up. Yesterday, I drunk butter tea, had a handful of macadamia (1 oz), 2 eggs poached in broth, a tiny bit of salmon (4 oz), a green smoothie (< 2 cups = 2 cups spinach, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 baby cumber, a stalk of celery and 2 tbsp tomato paste) and bowl of fresh cabbage with two tiny dishes of coconut milk and crumbled cheddar. That's from 4 am till 9 pm. So, only 2x a day I actually experienced what I would call 'eating'. I looked at my nutritional profile, and it doesn't look horrid, but I am low on iron for the first time in forever. So, I am a bit less concerned with low volume of vegetables.
    Try making creamed vegetables like spinach and eat some liver pate. That is good fat plus sorting out your low iron and tasty greenery too.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Yes. A minimum of two weeks and not unheard of to be as much as six weeks.
    Yes. This is very individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Still chugging along here! I am just entering week 3, and starting to feel a boost of energy. I also have not worked out as strenuously this week, so that may also play a role!

Yesterday was a crazy day at work, and I teach a 2 hour class from 1-3 in the afternoon, with a 45 min drive to get there. I had breakfast at 7 am (2 mini sliders, coffee with cream), but was not hungry (and running really late) at noon when I had to start driving. So, skipped lunch and plowed through class and post class review until 4:15. All of a sudden, I was REALLY hungry! Stopped at a little produce shop, and was looking around trying to figure what I could eat on the 45 min drive home. Limited options, until I walked by the dairy case: Good Heavens they had pastured cream! I bought an 8 oz container, and proceeded to drink it teenager style straight out of the carton. I must confess I made revelled in the luxury/forbiddeness of it!!

Yes, it brought me to the max of fat grams for the day, but I ate a small dinner, and my ratios ended up at 80/15/4 for the day. I also slept 9 hours straight through last night. I can't remember the last time I did that.
    Isn't it fun? Sleep is one of the biggest benefits of this.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The benefits of ketosis are the same as the benefits of fasting only without the hunger. This is how they found the ketosis diet for epilepsy. Fasting had been used as a treatment and often even a cure for it as far back as the ancient Greeks. Ketosis was found to have the same beneficial effects without the downside of starvation.
    I believe that there are benefits to ketosis. And benefits to fasting. Are you saying that ALL of the benefits of fasting can be attributed to ketosis? Can you point me to some links showing me that?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Work's been busy this past week, haven't checked in with all the threads very much in the evenings, but I have been working on a recipe submission for the contest.

I feel like a putz, but I made a video and just posted it on youtube. ha! And *ducking in embarrassment, still have quite a bit to lose, and I was tired.... and oh, I don't know.*

If you want to check it out... here it is. I made my version of Ketogenic Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Pudding. It's like a bulletproof coffee, but without the coffee. :P

Last edited by lissee; 09-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I believe that there are benefits to ketosis. And benefits to fasting. Are you saying that ALL of the benefits of fasting can be attributed to ketosis? Can you point me to some links showing me that?
    That was only in reference to the benefits for seizure control. There are many benefits of fasting that go beyond ketosis including autophagy and mitochondrial growth. Picator had a thread about fasting recently that gathered a bunch of interesting research.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65233.html

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Work's been busy this past week, haven't checked in with all the threads very much in the evenings, but I have been working on a recipe submission for the contest.

I feel like a putz, but I made a video and just posted it on youtube. ha! And *ducking in embarrassment, still have quite a bit to lose, and I was tired.... and oh, I don't know.*

If you want to check it out... here it is. I made my version of Ketogenic Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Pudding. It's like a bulletproof coffee, but without the coffee. :P
    Oh, that looks delicious. <Wipes slobber off keyboard>

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I loved your video. It was fun and educational and the pudding looked pretty tasty, too. You have such beautiful skin, too. You are definitely a testimonial to the healthiness of this way of living. Don't think otherwise!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Lissee, Your recipe looks delicious! It may even be something I could make using a microwave; I currently do not have access to a real kitchen.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Oh my....I have to make this! Thank you for making/sharing the video

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Recipe copied thanks, and don't 'duck in embarrassment'! You're cute!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Had some blood/urine work done last week---it showed ketones in my pee---I couldnt have been more excited! I'm glad I prepped my doc ahead of time so he wasnt concerned with diabetes or other issues! I tested a level of 40 which sounds moderate. I've definitely been doing awesome with lack of cravings! I'll also have to tell Betorq that I got some emu oil and am using it tonight on my constantly itchy legs---excited to try something new!

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Had some blood/urine work done last week---it showed ketones in my pee---I couldnt have been more excited! I'm glad I prepped my doc ahead of time so he wasnt concerned with diabetes or other issues! I tested a level of 40 which sounds moderate. I've definitely been doing awesome with lack of cravings! I'll also have to tell Betorq that I got some emu oil and am using it tonight on my constantly itchy legs---excited to try something new!
    Wonderful news about your test results!!! Would you report back on the Emu oil so those of us with dry skin can benefit...Please? I'm using Shea butter (per Paleobird) and it's wonderful.

Page 81 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast