Ain't it wunnaful?

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Ain't it wunnaful?
    Bestest feeling in the world, I reckon
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes... better explained at the BPE site.
    Thanks. I am a goober though and can't find the info on his site. Where does he talk about how fasting with bullet proof coffee affects (or doesn't affect) the following: autophagy, increased ghrelin, incr growth hormone, decreased insulin, desc homocysteine, decr C-reactive protein

You you please drop me a link or two?

Edit: Found this link. It appears the bulletproof coffee increases mTor and raises your BEE.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-20-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I have several wins to report . . . no IBS symptoms , sleeping well, good energy, subbed coconut oil for a couple of meals this week with no blood sugar issues, and weight loss!!!!!!!! I'm at a new 10 year low now.
    Yay, Jac!

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Absolutely my thyroid issues were brought to their worst levels by the hCG, but they were diagnosed when I was low-carb before and fixed by high-carb. My point is that perhaps my low-carb diet previously was not "well formulated" as described by Phinney and Volek. I wonder if being in nutritional ketosis all the time will allow my thyroid to function well rather than the version of low-carb I did before which was high protein, rather than high-fat.
    Yep, I think you're on to something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I just received the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and am buzzing through it today. It makes a lot of sense, particularly the "zone of misery" concept where you 're eating too many carbs to allow your body to fall into ketosis and run off fat but not enough carbs to adequately fuel your body with glucose. He explains the "hitting the wall" experience with depression and lack of energy.
    Great book. Can't recommend it highly enough. The sequel Low Carbohydrate Performance is also excellent addressing the issue from the POV of athletic performance and showing how the CW about "I'm athletic, I need my carbs" is mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    In addition to grouping grass-fed beef with fish, I'd also add grass-fed lamb. Oh man, that is some good stuff.
    I might group pork and chicken together, however, if you have never had truly pastured chicken, you are in for a treat.
    Oh yeah, I have a whole lamb on order to be picked up in about a week. And yes, real pastured chicken is worth eating it is just hard to find for the average supermarket shopper.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes... better explained at the BPE site.
    But BPE does not claim that it is a "fast" when drinking BP coffee (with butter in it)... it is called a "Modified Fast".

The added fat allows a source of energy and keeps ketosis running, and many people feel a sense of satiety through much of the day as well.
    Since there have been studies that show that women don't benefit from fasting the same as men do (re: weightloss),and since some people simply find that fasting sets them up for overeating later, the "modified fast" with a morning fat boost is being found helpful to many.
    Still gotta include those calories in the daily total of course.

Actual fasting would include no additional calories obviously.
    Best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Thanks. I am a goober though and can't find the info on his site. Where does he talk about how fasting with bullet proof coffee affects (or doesn't affect) the following: autophagy, increased ghrelin, incr growth hormone, decreased insulin, desc homocysteine, decr C-reactive protein

You you please drop me a link or two?

Edit: Found this link. It appears the bulletproof coffee increases mTor and raises your BEE.
    The benefits of ketosis are the same as the benefits of fasting only without the hunger. This is how they found the ketosis diet for epilepsy. Fasting had been used as a treatment and often even a cure for it as far back as the ancient Greeks. Ketosis was found to have the same beneficial effects without the downside of starvation.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, I have a whole lamb on order to be picked up in about a week
    are you getting the organs and the fat? or do you get it all neatly chopped into cuts? if you get the fat, render it down to tallow. the scratchings it leaves are so nice. dad used to make lamb curry when i was a kid by chopping the fat off the lamb shoulder and rendering it down and then cooking the lamb in its own fat. we used to fight over the scratchings.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Seaweed, yes it takes about two weeks to become Keto-adapted. I hope your newfound improved sleep continues !
    2 weeks maybe. I'd day 3 weeks if you have any long term chronic metabolic issues.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My only reading about the UD2 was chaco's journal and he did go face first into the cake in a big way. That diet would cause nothing BUT mood swings. Your blood sugar levels would be all over the place. That IMO is just dangerous. Especially to someone like yourself who has a history of dealing with such ups and downs.

Low carb keto is the most stable source of energy you can get that doesn't leave you vulnerable to those roller coaster highs and lows.
    I believe that is true for the UD2.0. I think I minimized the impacts of the ups and downs going to the white potato as source, but they still will be there. However, if I do manage to get the ketonic right, and sustain it for a while, and keep the calories reasonable, but have no success with fat loss, I will have to go to the carb-up, i.e. UD2.0. I know my body does respond to Ud2.0 by dropping fat. So far, I cannot judge fully ketonic, because even though I was under 40 g total carbs and under 30 g net carbs for almost 2 weeks now, my proteins were high. And, I re-gained all the weight this morning, swinging back up to almost 126 lbs. And that's after I had a good cardio session, not just sitting on my bum and walking. The regain can be a blip of digestion & metabolic process, but it also could be the body readjusting to the low carb intake and happily shifting water balance to where it was, i.e. no fat loss. Only the time will tell if my body will function correctly on a ketonic diet.

My concerns with the ketosis are that I eat very little actual food volumetrically, if I try for reduced protein and 70% fat. I am concerned about the very small vegetable intake, and restricted variety of the vegetables - mostly cabbages, celery and cucumbers, with avocado, pepper and tomato, rarely. I so far was unable to include beets, turnips or rutabagas. Volume seriously suffers once the higher carb vegetables show up. Yesterday, I drunk butter tea, had a handful of macadamia (1 oz), 2 eggs poached in broth, a tiny bit of salmon (4 oz), a green smoothie (< 2 cups = 2 cups spinach, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 baby cumber, a stalk of celery and 2 tbsp tomato paste) and bowl of fresh cabbage with two tiny dishes of coconut milk and crumbled cheddar. That's from 4 am till 9 pm. So, only 2x a day I actually experienced what I would call 'eating'. I looked at my nutritional profile, and it doesn't look horrid, but I am low on iron for the first time in forever. So, I am a bit less concerned with low volume of vegetables.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-21-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    2 weeks maybe. I'd say 3 weeks if you have any long term chronic metabolic issues.
    Yes. A minimum of two weeks and not unheard of to be as much as six weeks.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Still chugging along here! I am just entering week 3, and starting to feel a boost of energy. I also have not worked out as strenuously this week, so that may also play a role!

Yesterday was a crazy day at work, and I teach a 2 hour class from 1-3 in the afternoon, with a 45 min drive to get there. I had breakfast at 7 am (2 mini sliders, coffee with cream), but was not hungry (and running really late) at noon when I had to start driving. So, skipped lunch and plowed through class and post class review until 4:15. All of a sudden, I was REALLY hungry! Stopped at a little produce shop, and was looking around trying to figure what I could eat on the 45 min drive home. Limited options, until I walked by the dairy case: Good Heavens they had pastured cream! I bought an 8 oz container, and proceeded to drink it teenager style straight out of the carton. I must confess I made revelled in the luxury/forbiddeness of it!!

Yes, it brought me to the max of fat grams for the day, but I ate a small dinner, and my ratios ended up at 80/15/4 for the day. I also slept 9 hours straight through last night. I can't remember the last time I did that.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks for posting that link Yodiwan. You should also post a link to a pic of your abs as a comeback to anyone who says that you can't be seriously athletic on VLC.
    Haha. I may do that in a few more weeks. I've been eating a ketogenic diet for about two weeks now. The first week was a "deload" week so I was taking it easy in the gym, plus I had a cold or something. This past week I've felt really good and have had good performance in the gym and playing ultimate frisbee. If I feel, perform, and look as good in a few more weeks I will post an update with details.

Page 80 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast