Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 8

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i tend to be a fat and meat kind of guy. all but the staple veg puts my scale up overnight.

I am one that says eat moar fat, but i eat so little carb anyway. I agree that is is lazy conversation to simply say eat more fat.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    Here's my go-to fat bomb: Take a whole can of coconut milk, the kind that has a thick, creamy consistency. Mix it up really good and put in a bowl in fridge overnight to get it really thick. When you are ready to eat it, put 3-4 big scoops of unsweetened cocoa powder in and mix well. It's like a chocolate, fat blast with about 500 calories. Sometimes this is my whole meal.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It's like a chocolate, fat blast with about 500 calories. Sometimes this is my whole meal.
    omg that makes me hungry!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I'm now finally "getting" what the forum pundits were saying about "EAT MOAR FAT!". They were right except that was a simplistic way to put it. If they had said, "Eat a higher proportion of your calories as fat while keeping your protein moderate and your carbs low AND your total calorie intake in check", that would have been perfect.
    I am very inspired by that statement. I am trying to evolve towards eating more fat and low carb/less protein, but in the past I kept running into the fruit depression. There was nothing wrong with me physically, but mentally I suddenly would get kicked into black despair at never seeing another piece of fruit again. I am limiting fruit to 1/2 cup a day now (berries) and have unlimited fruit 1 day of the week as my carb-up (I lift heavy).

That produces a mood curve, with unstable mood/appetite after the carb-up. When I stick to fats, protein and veggies, my appetite just normalizes, I experience what I have never experienced before, 'I am full, no more food' sensation, my breaks between meals go longer effortlessly. I like all that.

I am actually not against trying to keep up my fitness regimen without carb-ups, and never leaving the ketonic state despite teh recommendations to the opposite (because so far they got me nowhere & frankly I do not have competitive aspirations!) but I am wondering if anyone who achieved long-term continuous ketosis had the persistent fruit and starch depression issues and how they handle fruit withdrawal long-term? Particularly now with the apples ripening and the smell of fresh apples alone could drive me to the brink of suicide if I don't get any?
    Last edited by Leida; 08-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am trying to evolve towards eating more fat and low carb/less protein, but in the past I kept running into the fruit depression. There was nothing wrong with me physically, but mentally I suddenly would get kicked into black despair at never seeing another piece of fruit again. I am limiting fruit to 1/2 cup a day now (berries) and have unlimited fruit 1 day of the week as my carb-up (I lift heavy).
    I had kind of the same feelings. I tried doing a CKD (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet) bot found it hard to keep on schedule. I'm working on a seasonal plan now. In winter, I go full-blown ketogenic, mainly meat, fat, fish, fermented veggies, chocolate and some nuts. As summer progresses I add in leafy greens, then fruit--as much as I can eat. Right now, I'm transitioning away from leafy greens and melons to fall fruit/veg like apples, pears, and cabbage. Next month or so those will be gone in favor of potatoes and nuts. I started this in January last year and it has worked like a charm. All the overeating on melon, berries, bananas, sweet corn, etc... didn't cause any weight gain. I think out guts flourish on a seasonally varied diet and like the change. Plus, this is a life-long endeavor for me--I have about 50 years left to perfect it.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh yes. I don't want to come across a fat bashing. I love fat. It just has to be kept in the context of calories though.
    Have you tried Fat Bread yet? A good thing to spread the manna on.
    where can I buy the Manna?? Does wholefoods sell it?? what aisle should I be looking at? I really want to try it

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Alright, I'm on board. The main barrier for me is protein. I really, really feel better the more I eat. Here's today's meal:

2 cups avocado
    12 ounces salmon
    8 eggs
    1 cup coconut milk in my coffee
    Cooked eggs and fish in approx. 1 tbsp of butter, coconut oil, and tallow.

Comes out to 2,459 calories
    199.2g fat
    41.6g carb
    141g protein

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    OMG. I dont think I have every eaten a whole avocado before... until now. 701 calories for just my salad. That is a first. When added to my BP coffee for breakfast, my fat is 75.5%. Carbs 12.3 and protein 12.2.

And I ate the whole darn thing! I was pretty stuffed about half way. I still have a hard time of eating till just satisfied. I always over do it. I think that is mostly because I think it won't keep very well, I don't know.

Wednesday is fish night, so I should be in good shape for today.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    OMG. I dont think I have every eaten a whole avocado before... until now. 701 calories for just my salad. That is a first. When added to my BP coffee for breakfast, my fat is 75.5%. Carbs 12.3 and protein 12.2.
    Good job!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Of course it's both!!! We've been hypothesizing toward this for a couple months now. It's a two step process:

1. Turn from sugar-burner to fat-burner. Now your body can "see" the fat.
    2. Cut down the amount of fat and food you eat so that you have a FAT deficit. Only then will your body burn the excess fat that you're carrying around.

Mark has always been a skinny minnie. If you can rip your eyes away from the 8-pack abs, you can see the skinny bone structure in his legs. We just aren't all built that way. Blasting through 2500 calories may work for him. I get by on about half that.

I think that one of the faults(?) of Primal is that it sort of glosses over the calorie question by assuming that our bodies will "tell us" when we're full. As if our bodies know exactly how many calories we need and stops us from eating more after we get exactly that amount of calories? Even from an evolution standpoint this is unlikely. Grok still WANTS to be fat, to guard against days when there is a famine. He could afford to gorge on honey and blueberries because (1) he ran out of honey and blueberries fast (2) there actaully WAS famine, on a seasonal basis.

If you let Grok loose in a modern Safeway, he'd be obese within a year.

Jim Henson, you are still wrong. For months you've been espousing that ONLY CICO matters. It is not ONLY CICO.
    good point ox

Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast