Page 79 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 79

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi all - another quick check-in to say that this is day 6 of this attempt (got derailed by major travel the last 2 times, lol). Feeling good, but blood monitor isn't showing ketosis yet. However, I have several wins to report . . . no IBS symptoms , sleeping well, good energy, subbed coconut oil for a couple of meals this week with no blood sugar issues, and weight loss!!!!!!!! I'm at a new 10 year low now.

I don't know if anyone will remember my post from a few months ago asking if ghee is supposed to taste like rancid butter?? I got replies along the lines of 'well, it's been heated and resolidified, so it probably is the same'. I'm delighted to say that I grew some bravery genes and tried it again. That first batch was off! This one has a delicate smell and a good flavour. Yay! That gives me a whole new list of ways to get high fat intake. Doing it with no dairy, coconut cream or nut products was a total bitch.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    @ NourishedEm, IIRC you went for HcG treatments and a super low cal balls to the wall weight loss plan and it worked for you. Could it be perhaps though that that was what caused your thyroid issues as opposed to low carb? I cheered you on as you lost that weight but that had to have been a major stressor on your body.
    Absolutely my thyroid issues were brought to their worst levels by the hCG, but they were diagnosed when I was low-carb before and fixed by high-carb. My point is that perhaps my low-carb diet previously was not "well formulated" as described by Phinney and Volek. I wonder if being in nutritional ketosis all the time will allow my thyroid to function well rather than the version of low-carb I did before which was high protein, rather than high-fat.

I guess we'll see.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I just received the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and am buzzing through it today. It makes a lot of sense, particularly the "zone of misery" concept where you 're eating too many carbs to allow your body to fall into ketosis and run off fat but not enough carbs to adequately fuel your body with glucose. He explains the "hitting the wall" experience with depression and lack of energy.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    is it normal to transition into ketosis? i actually slept for the entire night last night which i havent done for prob 15 years or maybe more. i feel alot better and more energetic relative to how i was feeling before but i feel properly hungry which, funnily enuf, i rarely felt before unless i got stuck out somewhere for most of the day.

Jac i made some ghee last night too. it almost tastes like savoury fudge to me. i put it in my BP ( decaf *sob* ) coffee.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    In addition to grouping grass-fed beef with fish, I'd also add grass-fed lamb. Oh man, that is some good stuff. I'm a total lamb novice. The other day by chance I purchased lamb loin chops on sale. I think that's what they serve in heaven. I've never had such a tender and delicious meat in my life.

I might group pork and chicken together, however, if you have never had truly pastured chicken, you are in for a treat. I'd put those boneless skinless chicken breasts in their own category completely. Not even good enough to be grouped with pork.

Tonight I'm going to be mean and cook myself some grass-fed steaks and my boyfriend, being so "opposite" from me, will get boneless skinless foster farms chicken breast. Bwuahahahaha. I am so mean but why waste a good steak I paid lots of money for on someone who will cringe while he eats it?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Seaweed, yes it takes about two weeks to become Keto-adapted. I hope your newfound improved sleep continues !

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    In addition to grouping grass-fed beef with fish, I'd also add grass-fed lamb. Oh man, that is some good stuff. I'm a total lamb novice. The other day by chance I purchased lamb loin chops on sale. I think that's what they serve in heaven. I've never had such a tender and delicious meat in my life.
    we have lots of lamb, i prefer hogget myself or even a nice roast mutton. the mind boggles as to how you would not grass feed a sheep. i do have some issues with how alot of people slow roast it forever and it ends up kinda melty and you cant really tell what it is. but that is the same with any roast i guess. medium rare all the way here. wild game meats are good too if you get them. i was googling as i was considering doing a month on mainly shell fish and fish. kinda like a whole 30 pesco paleo. and i did find somewhere someone saying to add in wild venison as it would be more like the meat in the paleo times. i so could manage that lol

I am so mean but why waste a good steak I paid lots of money for on someone who will cringe while he eats it?
    i have spent most of my adult life having to cook at least 2 different meals at dinner time. it still blows me away how someone can eat cardboard when there is decent food on offer.

Seaweed, yes it takes about two weeks to become Keto-adapted. I hope your newfound improved sleep continues !
    what i meant was does it suddenly happen, as in you wake up one morning and you are thru it, or is it bits and pieces feeling better? i so hope i get to sleep like that again. it was so good.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Since this seems to be a combination ketosis and fasting thread, I have a question.

This 'bullet proof coffee' thing that people have for breakfast (with a wodge of butter in it). You are deluding yourself if you think that you are still fasting while consuming that.

But you are still in ketosis.

So are the benefits of 'fasting' (i.e. autophagy, increased ghrelin, incr growth hormone, decreased insulin, desc homocysteine, decr C-reactive protein etc) really actually benefits of ketosis, or of fasting? Or more precisely, which benefits can be attributed to fasting and which to being in ketosis/low carb?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think the bullet proof executive explains it on his website.
    The Bulletproof Executive
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Since this seems to be a combination ketosis and fasting thread, I have a question.

This 'bullet proof coffee' thing that people have for breakfast (with a wodge of butter in it). You are deluding yourself if you think that you are still fasting while consuming that.

But you are still in ketosis.

So are the benefits of 'fasting' (i.e. autophagy, increased ghrelin, incr growth hormone, decreased insulin, desc homocysteine, decr C-reactive protein etc) really actually benefits of ketosis, or of fasting? Or more precisely, which benefits can be attributed to fasting and which to being in ketosis/low carb?
    Yes... better explained at the BPE site.
    But BPE does not claim that it is a "fast" when drinking BP coffee (with butter in it)... it is called a "Modified Fast".

The added fat allows a source of energy and keeps ketosis running, and many people feel a sense of satiety through much of the day as well.
    Since there have been studies that show that women don't benefit from fasting the same as men do (re: weightloss),and since some people simply find that fasting sets them up for overeating later, the "modified fast" with a morning fat boost is being found helpful to many.
    Still gotta include those calories in the daily total of course.

Actual fasting would include no additional calories obviously.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 79 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast