I have a new favorite breakfast:

1 slice fat bread
    generous splooge of mascarpone
    4 raspberries on top.

Delicious!!!
    That sounds great!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I made stock from fatty pork bones yesterday and really felt I drank a bowl of fat for lunch, but it was DIVINE! ...including scraping out the bits of marrow from the bones. That is how you do high fat! YUM
    Still don't know about this bone broth, been too lazy to search the threads, can someone just buy a bag of bones? is there a recipe that is quite popular?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What I do is buy soup bones at the butcher. They take a big ball joint from a cow and saw it into quarters. There is some meat filled with connective tissues also attached. I put that in my crockpot with a half cup of wine and some water and salt and let it go overnight. If I'm wanting extra gelatin, I'll toss in a pig's tail for moderate gelatin or a pig's foot for actual jello-like texture. A little celery and onion, not too much, also adds something nice. I like the broth to be relatively bland but fairly salty and savory.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am doing something very similar to sbhikes, only I have a meaty soup bones, so I roast them first, then I let it simmer with a spice bag for about 2 hour till meat is tender, strip the meat and set it aside, then let the bones overnight or over day on the stove on the 'warming' zone with the spices. I do the same with turkeys (I take out the breast for jerky and drummsticks for roasting) and when we have roast chicken I collect all the bones from the 2 chickens, ties them in with the spices in cheese cloth and make a small pot of bone broth.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    thanks Sb and Leida! I will try for my first batch this weekend. I don't have a butcher but hopefully I can find it at my favourite asian grocer!

I bet you will! Asian groceries totally rock for primal supplies

And, what do you know? Depression - gone, any adverse impact - gone, energy is so high it almost hurts, no hunger. I guess eating higher cals for a couple of days might have helped. I am keeping fingers crossed I can stay ~ 60 g protein and >70% fat for a few days to test-drive ketosis.

I am planning on making mini cheese cakes for our birthdays (hubby and I) and I thought about topping it with cherries, and suddenly i was starting to debate eating one. I stepped back, and thought about it, and I realized, that I don't want the cheesecake, I don't even like it. It's the cherries that were calling to me. So, I am gonna top it with chocolate sprinkles instead. It is hubby's fav topping, so I will get points here too!

Paleobird Guest
    @ NourishedEm, IIRC you went for HcG treatments and a super low cal balls to the wall weight loss plan and it worked for you. Could it be perhaps though that that was what caused your thyroid issues as opposed to low carb? I cheered you on as you lost that weight but that had to have been a major stressor on your body.

@ Leida, courage, young skywalker. You will be fine. 1600 calories=/=failure. It is maintenance on a less than perfect day.
    Yes, you may be taking the protein a bit high and that could be what is causing you problems.

Please, please, please, though, whatever you do, stay miles away from the UD2 and anybody peddling it. It would be the worst thing you could possibly do to your body. Cake binges are not what someone getting over a sugar addiction needs to get better.

Actually, I have never eaten cake on the UD2.0. I just had 6 lbs of potatoes with hot water, dill and red pepper flakes, then added egg whites, Greek yogurt/a bit of skim milk and tuna to make up proteins. By whatever reason white potato starch doesn't trigger sugar cravings and hunger in me. And that's how I would do it again, if I have to. No sugar, no grains, and this time no fruit. My concern is the volumetrics/stretched stomach and mood swings.

I was not doing fruit except on the next day after the carb up, the 'normal' eating day. I have not done sugar at all since March except when things went hay wire in Moscow. Just stevia, but no stevia now. I was not using protein powder - I made smoothies with egg whites and cranberries, lemon and some coconut milk only. Choco is inventing things I do and eat and puts words into my mouth, but I don't want to go and argue.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I made stock from fatty pork bones yesterday and really felt I drank a bowl of fat for lunch, but it was DIVINE! ...including scraping out the bits of marrow from the bones. That is how you do high fat! YUM
    Oh, slurrrrp, that sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That is an interesting blog post, Em. ( Here's a link to it that doesn't have extra characters at the end. The Ketogenic Diet for Health: We were talking about gluconeogenesis, not ketogenesis. )

I have often thought why do I need to add carbs to my diet when my body can make what it needs from protein? I prefer to eat meat, fatty or otherwise, and just let my body sort the whole thing out. I find it stressful to count all the grams and such.

Lately I've just been eating more like I used to. Not so many pure fat things, just eating meat and veggies and letting it all sort itself out inside me. I can't say I have that super high keto feeling but my carbs are low and I do feel pretty good. I think the period of high fat made me gain some weight.
    I really like that site too. I wish they would post more often.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    However I do think that cutting back on beef & pork helps me. Because it is so easy for me to over do those. (Love steak) I dont know it it is because they take longer to digest, and stay in my system longer? I dont know but I am going to focus more on fish and chicken for awhile. I only had 1 oz of beef this week, that I couldnt resist from DS18's creation, but other than that no beef or pork this week and the scale has moved down 4lbs in 4 days.
    I wouldn't lump beef-and-pork in together and then fish-and-chicken together as the alternative. Of the four categories I would say to try a beef and seafood combo and leave out the pork and chicken. This will get your O3/O6 sorted out and get you some valuable iodine in your diet. Both pigs and chickens are naturally omnivores and most anything you can get in a store is going to be fed at least in part on grains and probably some soy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I bet you will! Asian groceries totally rock for primal supplies

And, what do you know? Depression - gone, any adverse impact - gone, energy is so high it almost hurts, no hunger. I guess eating higher cals for a couple of days might have helped. I am keeping fingers crossed I can stay ~ 60 g protein and >70% fat for a few days to test-drive ketosis.

I am planning on making mini cheese cakes for our birthdays (hubby and I) and I thought about topping it with cherries, and suddenly i was starting to debate eating one. I stepped back, and thought about it, and I realized, that I don't want the cheesecake, I don't even like it. It's the cherries that were calling to me. So, I am gonna top it with chocolate sprinkles instead. It is hubby's fav topping, so I will get points here too!
    I responded to your earlier post before I saw this one. I'm so pleased. You are breaking old bad habits and making new good ones. And, yes, a few days with some extra calories is not a big deal. I find myself just kind of cycling up and down naturally. Some days I really feel like eating and some days I don't eat much. I think this is natural and healthy.

And yes, Asian markets do rock. Especially when they put the Aroy-D coconut cream on sale. (I bought a case)

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, I have never eaten cake on the UD2.0. I just had 6 lbs of potatoes with hot water, dill and red pepper flakes, then added egg whites, Greek yogurt/a bit of skim milk and tuna to make up proteins. By whatever reason white potato starch doesn't trigger sugar cravings and hunger in me. And that's how I would do it again, if I have to. No sugar, no grains, and this time no fruit. My concern is the volumetrics/stretched stomach and mood swings.

I was not doing fruit except on the next day after the carb up, the 'normal' eating day. I have not done sugar at all since March except when things went hay wire in Moscow. Just stevia, but no stevia now. I was not using protein powder - I made smoothies with egg whites and cranberries, lemon and some coconut milk only. Choco is inventing things I do and eat and puts words into my mouth, but I don't want to go and argue.
    Chaco is smart and does a lot of research, but he assumes that his n=1 has to be the same as everyone else's and if they say otherwise they must be whiners or ill-informed. And he does love to argue a straw man.

My only reading about the UD2 was chaco's journal and he did go face first into the cake in a big way. That diet would cause nothing BUT mood swings. Your blood sugar levels would be all over the place. That IMO is just dangerous. Especially to someone like yourself who has a history of dealing with such ups and downs.

Low carb keto is the most stable source of energy you can get that doesn't leave you vulnerable to those roller coaster highs and lows.

Page 78 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast