Page 77 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 77

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am starting to get a bit hungrier, and still have energy lows once in a while. Some beginning of depressive spells, but so far no thoughts of how fruit is the only thing I love and need. Yesterday, I thought calf rises will fix my sour mood.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-19-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    I did the fat bread muffins in my 6-cup silicon muffin pan, and they were done in about 25 minutes (at 350F ? I think), and turned out really, really good.
    Now you have me trying to remember whether I took them out at 8:18 or 8:28.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I finally made it through the thread! Thanks PB for the link.

I have been low-carbing for a few weeks now with a specific emphasis on getting into ketosis this week. I have ordered a ketone blood meter and strips which should arrive today or tomorrow and I'm very interested to see what that has to say.

I certainly feel like I'm in ketosis, I've decreased my protein intake and my carbs are super low. I also supplement with MCT oil everyday as part of my bulletproof breakfast coffee everyday. I am experiencing the decreased hunger, increased energy and boy, am I experiencing the increased mental clarity and performance - it's fantastic how quickly I can pick up new information and retain it. Since I started a new job this year and am working on my graduate certificate, this couldn't have come at a better time.

I also have hypothyroidism and have been eating quite high carb over the past 6-8 months in an effort to bring my thyroid function back up to par after a very stupid experiment last year with a super strict low calorie diet. I read lots and spoke to many people and the concensus seemed to be that my low carb diet was also responsible for my hypothyroidism. I believed this and went balls to the wall with my attempts to heal my thyroid and, for the most part, it worked. I am med free and symptom free now but I also gained 15kg in the process. Something I was extremely pissed off about - I worked my arse off to lose that weight!!

Anyway, I am experimenting with carb cycling to see what I can do with regards to losing weight while maintaining optimal thyroid function. So far I have been having one cheat meal a week and it is working well.

However, I have been reading Drs Volek and Phinney's books (finished the one for athletes, working on The art and science of low carbohydrate living) and I wonder if my issues with low carb diets in the past (related to thyroid function) were not in part due to never maintaining ketosis consistently rather than 'needing' carbs. I have always eaten a lot of protein and while the evidence is seeming to suggest that excess protein does not cause extra GNG it does still interfere with ketosis by some mechanism (see http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/we-were-talking-about-gluconeogenesis. post for an interesting discussion about this).

Anyway, apologies for the opus I just thought I'd introduce myself and my experience so far to this interesting group experiment. I look forward to seeing how everyone does.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 09-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    I do this exact thing! Blend one can of Trader Joe's coconut cream in the blender and store in a Tupperware in the fridge. A can lasts me a week. I use it in my coffee and yes, over berries.
    That stuff has so much shit in the ingredients I don't bother.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I finally made it through the thread! Thanks PB for the link.

I have been low-carbing for a few weeks now with a specific emphasis on getting into ketosis this week. I have ordered a ketone blood meter and strips which should arrive today or tomorrow and I'm very interested to see what that has to say.

I certainly feel like I'm in ketosis, I've decreased my protein intake and my carbs are super low. I also supplement with MCT oil everyday as part of my bulletproof breakfast coffee everyday. I am experiencing the decreased hunger, increased energy and boy, am I experiencing the increased mental clarity and performance - it's fantastic how quickly I can pick up new information and retain it. Since I started a new job this year and am working on my graduate certificate, this couldn't have come at a better time.

I also have hypothyroidism and have been eating quite high carb over the past 6-8 months in an effort to bring my thyroid function back up to par after a very stupid experiment last year with a super strict low calorie diet. I read lots and spoke to many people and the concensus seemed to be that my low carb diet was also responsible for my hypothyroidism. I believed this and went balls to the wall with my attempts to heal my thyroid and, for the most part, it worked. I am med free and symptom free now but I also gained 15kg in the process. Something I was extremely pissed off about - I worked my arse off to lose that weight!!

Anyway, I am experimenting with carb cycling to see what I can do with regards to losing weight while maintaining optimal thyroid function. So far I have been having one cheat meal a week and it is working well.

However, I have been reading Drs Volek and Phinney's books (finished the one for athletes, working on The art and science of low carbohydrate living) and I wonder if my issues with low carb diets in the past (related to thyroid function) were not in part due to never maintaining ketosis consistently rather than 'needing' carbs. I have always eaten a lot of protein and while the evidence is seeming to suggest that excess protein does not cause extra GNG it does still interfere with ketosis by some mechanism (see http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/we-we...enesis.html:// post for an interesting discussion about this).

Anyway, apologies for the opus I just thought I'd introduce myself and my experience so far to this interesting group experiment. I look forward to seeing how everyone does.
    Hi NourisedEm... remember reading somewhere about your thyroid trouble and eating high carb. Hope your journey into ketosis will bring you great health and success...sounds like it's going well. It has been great for me!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, major depressive spell and ended up with huge caloric over-draft going up to 1600 calories. Low carb still (25 net) but calories are just unexcusable. Zumba fell through yesterday on the account of my kiddo's upset stomach, so failures all around. Got a pound back up overnight, of course. Well, there is always the Ultimate Diet if I keep screwing up like that.

My proteins are still around 90-100 g. Is that why I am getting hungry again? Should I do more fat, less protein? I am going to try 60 g of protein today and 70% fat. See if it gets me back to non-inflated caloric intake & helps my mood.

Started the day with Tibetian tea and 5HTP. Fingers crossed that the depressive mood goes away.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-20-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I made stock from fatty pork bones yesterday and really felt I drank a bowl of fat for lunch, but it was DIVINE! ...including scraping out the bits of marrow from the bones. That is how you do high fat! YUM

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That is an interesting blog post, Em. ( Here's a link to it that doesn't have extra characters at the end. The Ketogenic Diet for Health: We were talking about gluconeogenesis, not ketogenesis. )

I have often thought why do I need to add carbs to my diet when my body can make what it needs from protein? I prefer to eat meat, fatty or otherwise, and just let my body sort the whole thing out. I find it stressful to count all the grams and such.

Lately I've just been eating more like I used to. Not so many pure fat things, just eating meat and veggies and letting it all sort itself out inside me. I can't say I have that super high keto feeling but my carbs are low and I do feel pretty good. I think the period of high fat made me gain some weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    So, how has everyone been doing? I guess I need to read back the last few pages (&pages)

My month, wasnt so hot. Started out early with a new low, and then went back up. I just finally got it back down today to .2 under my new low, so that is a new new low, but the journey in between was interesting.

To get it back down, just this week, took some IFing, and my macros have been about split into 3rds, within about a 10% leeway for any of them, but there was one 60% fat day. And looking back through the days of going upwards movement, were high fat days and low fat days, same with carbs and proteins. So I dont know. I just can't say yet what works the best for me.

However I do think that cutting back on beef & pork helps me. Because it is so easy for me to over do those. (Love steak) I dont know it it is because they take longer to digest, and stay in my system longer? I dont know but I am going to focus more on fish and chicken for awhile. I only had 1 oz of beef this week, that I couldnt resist from DS18's creation, but other than that no beef or pork this week and the scale has moved down 4lbs in 4 days.

So I dont know. I keep thinking about trying the Atkins super-duper high fat deal, but I havent yet.

You would think after 63lbs, I would know what works best. But I dont And maybe this IS what is working best. Just the whole package. I know slow and steady wins the race, so I guess I am winning but still....
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Lately I've just been eating more like I used to. Not so many pure fat things, just eating meat and veggies and letting it all sort itself out inside me. I can't say I have that super high keto feeling but my carbs are low and I do feel pretty good. I think the period of high fat made me gain some weight.
    I just saw this AFTER I posted!! I think this was my n=1 also!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 77 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast