Page 73 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 73

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been experimenting with making my first batches of both chicken and beef bone broth...and quickly coming to love it! It is so satisfying, and I've always HATED "broth".

Now if I could get some of it to gel...but I suspect my crockpot's low temp is too high for that.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link yodiewan. Interesting how he gets most of his calories from fat!
    I have to say I am looking forward to reintroducing some dairy into my diet when the whole 30 is complete . I do feel great on it though the mental clarity is amazing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    what do you define as a lot of water? the only morning i felt heaps better was when i had been out and drank prob a whole liter of water on my own. i've been trying to have a glass of water by my desk all day to make sure i keep drinking but it is hard. it's not a habit i have anymore.
    If you are getting adequate sodium you will naturally feel like drinking more but otherwise let thirst be your guide. No need to push more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Happy days - it's the second day that I've had most of my pre-dinner intake from coconut oil in drinks. OMG - I finally had my first cup of stock. What a difference! I added CO to it, to keep the fat intake up, but as soon as I got a whiff of the salt I was smitten. My energy was getting lower, but this boosted me right back up. Phinney and Volek recommend a couple of cups a day of this stuff, and I'm totally on board with it!
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've been making lots of custard (egg + enough cream/coconut milk to fill the cup, whisk together, add a little stevia, vanilla extract, etc., bake in a water bath until just set) and lots of coconut oil bark (melt coconut oil, mix in cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla extract, etc., put in mold in the freezer). Alternatively you can just drink cream and coconut milk, which I also do. I think you almost have to supplement additional fat to have enough calories to stay ketogenic without getting too much protein. Here is an example from Dr. Peter Attia:
    What I actually eat « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Keep in mind that Dr. Attia exercises a lot (like 1+ every day) so his calorie needs are pretty high. But it's still good to see an example of someone eating a highly ketogenic diet to know what to shoot for. Notice that he uses cream and butter pretty much every day.
    Thanks for posting that link Yodiwan. You should also post a link to a pic of your abs as a comeback to anyone who says that you can't be seriously athletic on VLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    So, I did not do carb-up this weekend. I did not count macros, but I did not have any tubers or fruit. I probably was higher than 30 g, but anyway, I think I did pretty good. The result of not carbing up over the weekend was gaining... -1.6 lbs.
    I guess, something finally clicked off in the system, and I dropped 3 lbs from the last week.
    Now, the notes: I feel much better. Hunger is nowhere near the 'regular'.
    Yes! It does click. You can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    And cheese! You do have to be careful with cheese portions, but I find it very helpful and enjoyable when eating this way if you can. I've been eating cheese everyday and have lost 5-7 lbs this month!
    I've been going for the highest ratio of fat/milk solids cheeses I can find such as mascarpone, brie, camembert. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    Thank you for this link...I've begun reading his blog as well now! Great information and his writing is very clear. I love the idea of an 'Eating Academy'...

I'm still working on ways to include more fat in my diet. My body is accepting it better now so I'm increasing. I also ordered some organic coconut cream which I eat by the spoonful. I'll get it, and I'm seeing results whilst I address issues.
    Coconut cream is awesome stuff. I want to try making a custard with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Ketosis is finally kicking in! My breath smells funky, and I am having that appetite blunting. Yay! I am loving this idea of tossing the egg white (well, giving it to kids or hubby) and eating the yolk. I have even figured out how to successfully fry a 'two yolk' egg without breaking either of them. Workout performance still is decreased, but from reading Eating Academy that seems to take a while to adjust, but then ends up being better.
    Yes, different from the bad old days of egg whites only omelets! Yes, the workout performance does adjust. Keep with it, you're doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    hilarious!! lol.
    the only thing that worked for me with fruit was cold turkey. i used to eat 3-4 servings of fruit each day. now apples and pears taste far too sweet, so it's berries once or twice per week and last night i had just 1/2 of a local peach. b/f got the other 1/2, plus another. i always have fruit with cream so i don't overeat it and it slows down the insulin response.
    Cold turkey here too. Now, when I shop for fruit for my Dad it really does look like wax like Leida was saying. It holds no appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    for breakfast this morning i had 4 left-over home-made jalapeno poppers, wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese. my fat is at 75% right now. there will be broth with kerrygold butter later, some meat and some grass-fed cream too.
    I love me some poppers.

I am likely very sensitive to sugar (or, maybe fructose specifically). I cannot mount a scientific explanation, but that's my second time at trying no fruit approach (this time much higher on fat) and I see the same stupefying effect of balanced appetite, even energy and no mood swings. In addition to painless weight loss. Last time I lasted 40 days before getting bad depression. This time, I will make sure to utilize more fat and organ meats and keep up with the 5 HTP, and see how long I can make it. I am okay handing in the fruit plate. It is such a straightforward connection, that I gotta be a fool not to see it.
    Which does NOT mean other people can't eat fruit. Or that fruit is all bad. It is triggering something in me specifically.
    I'm so glad you have come to this understanding.

No, it is not 1200 cals a day. It is dangerously low when it is below BMR. My BMR is 1250-1270, and I am staying above that on all days on average, going high on training days and the weekends, and a bit lower on the recovery days. So, no, I am not undereating, I eat when I am hungry. The difference is that I can now stop when I am full instead of continue munching. I also do better at not eating away my feeling. My body will figure out where it needs to be as long as I learn to eat food that doesn't drive it into a 'let's save fat for popping out 20 more children in the dessert during the drought' mode. Multiple experiments with eating more, both intended and not intended show the same thing every time - when I eat more, I gain fat with no improvement to strength or vitality. I may not know much, but I know myself. I am finally doing good. Even for a short time, but it is still doing good.
    Yeah, can we collectively get off Leida's case? I can't tell you the number of times I got called anorexic for wanting to get from a size 10 to a 6. My body, my goals. And, as you can see on my pics, I'm not skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    The salt thing is weird too. I've never liked salt. Never was fond of potato chips, never added extra salt to my food, don't cook with salt. I'm astounded at how much salt I can eat now.
    I was always the other way around. I would pass up candy and ice cream for potato chips any day. VLC primal is like dietary heaven to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think there is something in homemade bone broth from real bones that you just can't get from bullion cubes. I know that Phinney and Voleck focus on the sodium, but I think those other minerals and substances are just as important. The minerals from the bones, plus the collagen and gelatin and whatever else from any tendons, skin, connective tissue. It is all helpful.
    YES! All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    And it tastes heaps better, too. Today I have a wicked headache, too! Serves me right for turning to a crap solution. This n=1 can be quite painful at times .
    OK we will all take heed of your experiment and benefit from it. I seem to remember seeing a recipe for homemade bullion cubes. Was that on this site? Anybody remember that? Might be the solution to convenient yet Primal broth.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    That's the one! Thanks! It was linked here somewhere a while back I think.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome!!!! Thanks!!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Coconut cream is awesome stuff. I want to try making a custard with it.
    i have made creme brulee type custard with just eggs yolks, coconut cream and a touch of vanilla. Just use a creme brulee recipe and leave out the sugar. Bake it in rammekins sitting in water and then put it in the fridge overnight. it is divine.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    i have made creme brulee type custard with just eggs yolks, coconut cream and a touch of vanilla. Just use a creme brulee recipe and leave out the sugar. Bake it in rammekins sitting in water and then put it in the fridge overnight. it is divine.
    Yeah, I made those and loved them. THAT's when I figured out the fodmaps in coconut are not magical, invisible things that I can ignore.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    About how much Coconut cream per egg do you reckon?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i just followed a stereotypical creme brulee recipe like this one

BBC - Food - Recipes : Original crème brûlée

scaled it down and ditched the sugar. so in american lol ...
    approx 3 floz of coconut cream per egg yolk with vanilla to taste. beat it all up. chuck it in some rammekins sitting in a baking tray of water then bake till wobbly set. cool and chill.
    ETA: you could prob down it to 2 egg yolks as you dont have the sugar so less to set?

i have seen recipes for white chocolate cream brulee which has potential to add in stuff like creamed coconut ( coconut manna? ) or 100% choc to the coconut cream and egg yolk mix. i was even thinking maybe some ghee when i was out for a walk with the dog just now. the key with creme brulee is to chill it.

i remembered too i used to make coconut custard for the kids way back. which was about a can of coconut cream, 6 whole eggs, vanilla or i'd do something like put some chai spices in. then honey or palm sugar to taste and bake. you could easily leave the sugar out there too as i have made cream brulee with whole eggs before and it worked too. this was nice hot or cold.

Page 73 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast