Page 72 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 72

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    But maybe eating a little fruit isn't so bad if you're simply not eating enough.
    unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.

eta: it would take slightly over 8 oz. of blackberries to get the equivalent calories from ONE tablespoon of butter. that's 16 nc for the berries vs. zero for the butter.

Don't believe in low calories. I think you simply adjust by down-regulating your metabolism.
    which becomes a never-ending spiral of broken-ness.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 09-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Leida is offline Senior Member
    unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.
    +1
    I am likely very sensitive to sugar (or, maybe fructose specifically). I cannot mount a scientific explanation, but that's my second time at trying no fruit approach (this time much higher on fat) and I see the same stupefying effect of balanced appetite, even energy and no mood swings. In addition to painless weight loss. Last time I lasted 40 days before getting bad depression. This time, I will make sure to utilize more fat and organ meats and keep up with the 5 HTP, and see how long I can make it. In the beginning of this low carb attempt, I was under 30 g carbs, but tried to have a little blueberries (less than 1/2 cup), and picking choke cherries as I walked the neighborhood (yes, that bad of an addiction). Nothing happened to me till I stopped berries. I know it sounds crack-pot, but maybe it is a part of my OMG Fat Switch a-la Scott F's theories of seasonal fat gain triggered by fructose. But, honestly, I want to just concentrate on balancing fruit-and-mood and mindful eating. If I can avoid the endless swings between despair and euphoria, feast and fast, I am okay handing in the fruit plate. It is such a straightforward connection, that I gotta be a fool not to see it.

Which does NOT mean other people can't eat fruit. Or that fruit is all bad. It is triggering something in me specifically.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    most often i have 100 oz or more per day.
    that's like 3 litres? i am lucky to drink a litre of water and prob 4 mugs of coffee/tea so i prob should make the effort to have more. when i say coffee/tea only 2 of them will be caffeinated. i also was reading about sodium as i have low blood pressure already so i prob should also have more salt. i've got the pink himilayan salt at the moment too. yumm!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Good grief, the stock I had yesterday has nothing like those ingredients! It's much more simple. However having defended the stuff, today I'm bloated and have gained almost 1kg. Feels terrible! I'm guessing the stock is the culprit. I do have some pure chicken broth in the freezer, so I'll add salt to that and see what happens.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.
    On, IIRC, 1200 kcal per day?

That's a dangerously low intake as most competent authorities attest. Not but what there's a "let's under-eat" mentality everywhere evident on MDA.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, it is not 1200 cals a day. It is dangerously low when it is below BMR. My BMR is 1250-1270, and I am staying above that on all days on average, going high on training days and the weekends, and a bit lower on the recovery days. So, no, I am not undereating, I eat when I am hungry. The difference is that I can now stop when I am full instead of continue munching. I also do better at not eating away my feeling. My body will figure out where it needs to be as long as I learn to eat food that doesn't drive it into a 'let's save fat for popping out 20 more children in the dessert during the drought' mode. Multiple experiments with eating more, both intended and not intended show the same thing every time - when I eat more, I gain fat with no improvement to strength or vitality. I may not know much, but I know myself. I am finally doing good. Even for a short time, but it is still doing good.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-17-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    +1
    I am likely very sensitive to sugar (or, maybe fructose specifically). I cannot mount a scientific explanation, but that's my second time at trying no fruit approach (this time much higher on fat) and I see the same stupefying effect of balanced appetite, even energy and no mood swings. In addition to painless weight loss. Last time I lasted 40 days before getting bad depression. . . . It is triggering something in me specifically.
    I'm like that as well, Leida. Fructose is killer. I don't really crave it any more, but I remember how it used to give me some kind of a lift, and the smell of fruit arouses longing for that. Can happily live without the big crash that usually followed, though. I prefer the gentle peaceful warmth of being a fat burner. So far I'm pretty fragile in that state: it's like a soap bubble that can be popped by a plethora of things I haven't got figured out yet. Too many calories? Maybe. Too much protein? Maybe. Not enough fat? Maybe. Gah.

The salt thing is weird too. I've never liked salt. Never was fond of potato chips, never added extra salt to my food, don't cook with salt. I'm astounded at how much salt I can eat now. I put it in everything I drink, coffee, tea, broth, water. Last night, I drank a shot glass full of warm water with about an eighth of a teaspoon of salt in it and slept better than I have in quite a while. Woke up peacefully and felt rested at 4:30 am and was not thirsty. I should have gotten up then -- when I did get up at 8:30, I felt dazed and confused, like I'd slept too long.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Good grief, the stock I had yesterday has nothing like those ingredients! It's much more simple. However having defended the stuff, today I'm bloated and have gained almost 1kg. Feels terrible! I'm guessing the stock is the culprit. I do have some pure chicken broth in the freezer, so I'll add salt to that and see what happens.
    mine is the organic rapunzel vege stuff but it doesnt taste that good so i will hang out for some bones. i may even have some lamb bones in the freezer.

Last night, I drank a shot glass full of warm water with about an eighth of a teaspoon of salt in it and slept better than I have in quite a while
    i should try this. the dog woke me up at some nasty hour and wanted to go out then proceeded to go for a wander so i have to run around in the freezing cold in bare feet to retrieve him which meant i didnt get back so sleep so i am dazed and confused too.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think there is something in homemade bone broth from real bones that you just can't get from bullion cubes. I know that Phinney and Voleck focus on the sodium, but I think those other minerals and substances are just as important. The minerals from the bones, plus the collagen and gelatin and whatever else from any tendons, skin, connective tissue. It is all helpful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think there is something in homemade bone broth from real bones that you just can't get from bullion cubes. I know that Phinney and Voleck focus on the sodium, but I think those other minerals and substances are just as important. The minerals from the bones, plus the collagen and gelatin and whatever else from any tendons, skin, connective tissue. It is all helpful.
    And it tastes heaps better, too. Today I have a wicked headache, too! Serves me right for turning to a crap solution. This n=1 can be quite painful at times .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Page 72 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast