Page 71 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 71

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Here is an example from Dr. Peter Attia:
    What I actually eat The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Keep in mind that Dr. Attia exercises a lot (like 1+ every day) so his calorie needs are pretty high. But it's still good to see an example of someone eating a highly ketogenic diet to know what to shoot for. Notice that he uses cream and butter pretty much every day.
    And cheese! You do have to be careful with cheese portions, but I find it very helpful and enjoyable when eating this way if you can. I've been eating cheese everyday and have lost 5-7 lbs this month!
    Last edited by healthy11; 09-17-2012 at 05:30 AM.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've been making lots of custard (egg + enough cream/coconut milk to fill the cup, whisk together, add a little stevia, vanilla extract, etc., bake in a water bath until just set) and lots of coconut oil bark (melt coconut oil, mix in cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla extract, etc., put in mold in the freezer). Alternatively you can just drink cream and coconut milk, which I also do. I think you almost have to supplement additional fat to have enough calories to stay ketogenic without getting too much protein. Here is an example from Dr. Peter Attia:
    What I actually eat The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Keep in mind that Dr. Attia exercises a lot (like 1+ every day) so his calorie needs are pretty high. But it's still good to see an example of someone eating a highly ketogenic diet to know what to shoot for. Notice that he uses cream and butter pretty much every day.
    Thank you for this link...I've begun reading his blog as well now! Great information and his writing is very clear. I love the idea of an 'Eating Academy'...

I'm still working on ways to include more fat in my diet. My body is accepting it better now so I'm increasing. I also ordered some organic coconut cream which I eat by the spoonful. I'll get it, and I'm seeing results whilst I address issues.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, forgot to add, I found the way to stop idolizing fruit that works for my twisted mind. Well, first I do my homework examining my cravings for fruit and realizing that 99% of it is the yearning to recapture the childhood feeling of happiness and vacations and summer before everything went haywire. But the best is that I imagine that all the fruit in the house is made of WAX! Yep, those perfect fakes they sell in house decorating store. Yippee! Did the trick.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis is finally kicking in! My breath smells funky, and I am having that appetite blunting. Yay! I am loving this idea of tossing the egg white (well, giving it to kids or hubby) and eating the yolk. I have even figured out how to successfully fry a 'two yolk' egg without breaking either of them. Workout performance still is decreased, but from reading Eating Academy that seems to take a while to adjust, but then ends up being better.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I just searched my kindle to find the specific recommendations from Phinney and Volek. It's

"Practically speaking, the easiest way to get this sodium is to buy standard bouillon cubes and consume 2 per day. They are cheap, compact, last months without refrigeration, and hot water is easily found. A more traditional path is to make your own meat or vegetable broth containing 1 teaspoon of salt per quart."

I'll be getting into that!

WYLER'S, FLAVOR BOUILLON, CUBES, CHICKEN
    INGREDIENTS: Salt, Sugar, Mechanically Separated Cooked Ground Chicken Meat, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monosodium Glutamate, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Corn Maltodextrin, Onion Powder, Chicken Fat, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten Protein, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Water, Garlic Powder, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Dextrose, Cooked Chicken Powder, Natural Chicken Flavor, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Calcium Silicate, Gelatin, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Turmeric, Corn Syrup Solids, Spice, Modified Cornstarch, Silicon Dioxide, Diacetyl (Flavor), Artificial Flavor, Tricalcium Phosphate, Alpha Tocopherols (Antioxidant), Corn Oil, BHA (Preservative), Propyl Gallate, Citric Acid, BHT (Preservative).
    be very careful with commercial soup base and bouillon products. the above product, quite standard in american stores, is not something i would touch with a 20-foot pole.

i do make my own beef and chicken broths, but make LOTS at once that i portion, reduce and freeze. this way i can have a bit almost everyday, but only make it every 6 months or so. often i will make it the base of a meal, either with eggs or bits of meat in there, some greens and hot sauce. i keep the animal fact intact that congeals on top of the broth as it cools and add a chunk of that to the pot.

regular consumption of this has had a dramatic improvement on my overall health.

Broth is Beautiful - Weston A Price Foundation
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    what do you define as a lot of water? the only morning i felt heaps better was when i had been out and drank prob a whole liter of water on my own. i've been trying to have a glass of water by my desk all day to make sure i keep drinking but it is hard. it's not a habit i have anymore.
    most often i have 100 oz or more per day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Oh, forgot to add, I found the way to stop idolizing fruit that works for my twisted mind. Well, first I do my homework examining my cravings for fruit and realizing that 99% of it is the yearning to recapture the childhood feeling of happiness and vacations and summer before everything went haywire. But the best is that I imagine that all the fruit in the house is made of WAX! Yep, those perfect fakes they sell in house decorating store. Yippee! Did the trick.
    hilarious!! lol.

the only thing that worked for me with fruit was cold turkey. i used to eat 3-4 servings of fruit each day. now apples and pears taste far too sweet, so it's berries once or twice per week and last night i had just 1/2 of a local peach. b/f got the other 1/2, plus another. i always have fruit with cream so i don't overeat it and it slows down the insulin response.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Can I ask how people get their fat intake up to 70%.
    I am half way through a whole 30 and figure when I am finished that I will transition across to eating moar fat.
    thanks
    for breakfast this morning i had 4 left-over home-made jalapeno poppers, wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese. my fat is at 75% right now. there will be broth with kerrygold butter later, some meat and some grass-fed cream too.

Ernest Hemingway

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Well, golly, if we're going to get all psychological, how about fear of death?

The end of the piece of the fruit is a tiny reminder that life's sweetness is transient and we all go "over the Bridge of Sighs and into eternity".

But maybe eating a little fruit isn't so bad if you're simply not eating enough. Don't believe in low calories. I think you simply adjust by down-regulating your metabolism.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess, something finally clicked off in the system, and I dropped 3 lbs from the last week.
    not nothin' eh? well done.

Now, the notes: I feel much better. Hunger is nowhere near the 'regular'.

<<snip

went to the amusement park with my folks totally forgetting post workout meal.

<<snip

Satiation is almost immediate on the low volumes of food. I chopped up a whole cantaloupe for my folks without experiencing adverse reaction, I drove in a car holding the core of my daughter's fresh unfinished apple that smelled like hells and did not feel like eating it. Well, it's good for now, let's hope it lasts.

On the negative side, recover takes longer and I feel much more sore after the training. Steam room is closed for maintenance, so I do not know when I can check if the steam can help me recover.
    you might just have to back off a week or two until you are more adapted. patience, grasshopper.

Cheers, keeping fingers crossed that I can have another good week of no damaging foods.
    cheers, indeed.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 71 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast