Page 65 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 65

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, I ate 2 meals a day yesterday, and hit 100 g protein. I am not concerned, because my allocation is ~ 90 g because of my activity and I had as low as 40 g protein on the other days. I was initially freaked out because it calculated 50 g in the beginning formula Paleobird gave (equal the 'if I wanted to be a supermodel' weight in kilos, which is 110 lbs or 50 kg). Once it goes to about 100 g, that's an easy thing (and it corresponds to other stuff, so I am happy).

My meals were 3 eggs + 1/2 cup egg whites with a tbsp coconut oil and a cup of broth; 6 Brazil Nuts
    Broth with some 6 oz of turkey wing, meat and skin, cabbage with a drizzle of balsamic, brie and coconut cream

Egg whites boost protein, but that's the only way to cook the eggs in the microwave, without cooking the yolk and making it 'explode'.

But, like I said, I don't worry if my protein is a bit higher, as long as I do not feel hungry and carbs are low. In fact, I like keeping it around 100, so muscle have food. Now, next week I am taking off training, so I will be shooting for 50 g... gotta be interesting.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-14-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Healthy11, a lot of what you're eating is 50/50 fat and protein so your fat to protein ratios may not be ideal.
    4 oz sirloin = 291 calories 17.8 grams fat and 30.4 protein. Each large egg has 72 calories, 5 grams fat and 6.3 protein (0.4 carb). 3 strips bacon = 130 calories 10 grams fat and 8.9 protein. 1/4 oz blue cheese crumbles = 25 calories with 2 grams fat and 1.8 protein. 1/2 avocado has 161 calories with 14.7 fat and 2 grams protein and 8.6 carbs.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Not sure where you are getting an allotment of 80g protein. At GW 130 lbs, my daily intake would need to be 55-65 g protein. At 20g (roughly) per meal, that means that I have to be very careful with protein portions, and add my fats on top. Most days I have blown up to 70g when the veggie proteins have been added in.

I just had a YEE-HAW! moment! Well, actually a few. First was yesterday morning when I slipped on a skirt that I have not been able to zipper for MONTHS, and it zipped up all the way. I can see the lower outline of my ribs. Not bad for 1 week of doing this, and 5 weeks post hysterectomy!

Yesterday was a 'crazy run all over 2 states for work' kind of day, and I did not eat very much of a lunch, just a small snack of cucumber, peppers, small handful of almonds. By the time I got home @ 7 pm I was ravenous. Yes, I probably have some metabolic healing to do. I am also fighting off a cold. Thought about what I really wanted to eat, and what sounded best was bacon and eggs. I ended up with 1 egg, three yolks, and FIVE slices of bacon. Despite that feast (and man it really felt like a feast!) I still came in at exact ratios, and under 1400 cal for the day. WOW! Granted, I would not advocate doing that consistently, but it felt really great to eat to satisfaction and still be compliant.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I only had 53g protein yesterday, if my guess at portion sizes was correct. I really have a hard time with the calorie tracking apps since I don't actually weigh and measure my food. Those apps work best for people who eat all packaged food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I listened to one podcast where the speaker said protein needs should be similar for everyone no matter what you weigh because it goes more by blood volume than by weight. His recommendation was 90 grams. No doubt other "experts" disagree. I thought I had read on this thread that for a woman of 150-160 pounds we should be at 70-85ish.

As long as we are in a calorie deficit and not storing excess protein, we're actually burning all our daily calories as fuel, does it matter whether we're at 60 or 90? Since I started tracking this week, I'm usually around 80 grams of protein. We eat three meals a day and usually start the day with eggs in some form and bacon, sausage, or some other meat on the side.
    Last edited by Miss Understood; 09-14-2012 at 08:12 AM.

I just know that I feel better with around 100 g of protein than with around 50 g of protein. Less protein makes me feel unsatisfied, hungry and weak. I also enjoy eating meats more than plain fats. I figure if I feel content, my appetite is in accordance to my caloric needs and I am energetic, I am fine with fat adapted vs ketosis vs... anything. 100 lbs is roughly my LBM, so that's right at the 1 g per lb of LBM. I had experience eating at up to 1.5 to 2.0 g/per LBM before, with no ill consequences.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Eh, what? I've been on a ketogenic diet for well over a year (minus two months where I experienced with slightly higher carbs) as a type 1 diabetic. I lift heavy 5 times a week fasted. Granted my lifting sessions are only around 45 - 55 minutes each, but I lift HEAVY. I have had no problem maintaining that, increasing both strength and muscle mass while on a very low carb diet.

I mean for me a cheat day is eating meatballs with some of my home made tomato sauce (hey, tomatoes have a fair amount of carbs in 'em) which may take me up to 35 grams of carbs for the whole day.

But back to my point, I feel great lifting heavy. It might be easier for me as I'm on a 5 day split (chest, back, arms, legs, shoulders) which gives me plenty of time for my muscles to replenish glycogen, but when I'm lifting, I feel great.
    Do you do anything in addition to lifting heavy? I know my partner was able to lift heavy, successfully, while in ketosis. However, that was pretty much all she did and dropped nearly all aerobic activities she used to do. When she was training for something that required an inclusion of aerobic activities/metabolic conditioning, she had to bump up her carbs significantly (she's kind of naturally low carb, the wench).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I am definitely not fat adapted...... I'm doing a mini fast supporting DS who is having general anesthesia @ noon and so hasn't eaten since yesterday evening. I often fast for this amount of time at home and have no problem, but now I am hungry! From what I've been reading on this thread I think I'm eating too much protein. I'm also having intense allergies. At home it seemed as though drinking bone broth was helping with that. I noticed there's a market near by that sells house-made stock, they sell it frozen. I wonder if it would help.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    Do you do anything in addition to lifting heavy? I know my partner was able to lift heavy, successfully, while in ketosis. However, that was pretty much all she did and dropped nearly all aerobic activities she used to do. When she was training for something that required an inclusion of aerobic activities/metabolic conditioning, she had to bump up her carbs significantly (she's kind of naturally low carb, the wench).
    In my case, if I do a lot of anaerobic activity I get fatigued pretty easily on a low carb diet, enough that I feel pretty well wiped out. A lot of aerobic activities are really anaerobic ones if you push yourself too hard like I tend to do. But if I do only one anaerobic activity in a day, I recover quickly. If I keep my aerobic ones in a fairly low heart rate I feel fine and can go forever, like the energizer bunny. So for me it's trying to keep my aerobic activities truly aerobic, truly in a fat-for-energy zone, and not pushing so hard that I'm now in the glycogen-for-energy zone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Do you do anything in addition to lifting heavy? I know my partner was able to lift heavy, successfully, while in ketosis. However, that was pretty much all she did and dropped nearly all aerobic activities she used to do.
    Dropping most aerobic activity is a normal advice when starting to lift heavy seriously for strength, as it hampers recovery and gains. It has nothing to do with what diet you are following. You can be doing standard 50% carbs diet and they will still tell you to drop your 4 runs a week, and do a max of 20 min of SS cardio after lifting and do only low intensity moving slowly to actively recover. Lifting serious weight takes care of the heart health portion anyhow, so cardio becomes a waste of time and only tires you out with no additional benefit.

Page 65 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast