Page 64 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 64

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think a lot of the wanting moar meat is not really about biological need but rather the forbidden for so long fruit that is now allowed, even encouraged on Primal. Yippee! I'll have a 24oz porterhouse! Well, I really would have been fine with the 8oz filet.
    I just looked up the info for filet on sparkpeople and an 8oz filet would go over my daily protein. That just isn't right.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    I just looked up the info for filet on sparkpeople and an 8oz filet would go over my daily protein. That just isn't right.
    Well, a very petite person like you then gets to have steak two nights in a row, 4 oz each.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, a very petite person like you then gets to have steak two nights in a row, 4 oz each.
    It still gets a bit frustrating when I have to monitor my meat so closely. Today I was juggling cans of salmon trying to figure out which one wouldn't make me go over.

What's funny is that whenever I go to a restaurant I have leftovers and people have suggested I order smaller meals. I ask them why, when I can have two meals for the price of one.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Running and biking are not problem as long as I stay around 75-80% max heart rate. But hammering uphills...and feel like powerless miserable slug. Also doing heavy powerclean or squat glycogen depleted sucks . I think this nutritional ketosis works better for people spending most time in aerobic zones aka ultra distance stuff.
    How a low carb diet affected my athletic performance (Part 4) The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

The interplay of exercise and ketosis << part 1

The interplay of exercise and ketosis << part 2

My pet peeve The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. << includes a video of part of one of his workouts -- in ketosis

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    The Robb Wolf podcast has a good question today about ketosis and thyroid issues.
    Yes, he did have a question on that, didn't he?

A fairly funny episode again. I liked the dry way that he said, when discussing one of the questions, that a man developing breasts "could be problematic". LOL. Talk about understatement! :-)

It seems to have been a claim that's been going around in paleo circles for quite some time. I did hear Steve Phinney asked that question, and he said they simply hadn't seen it -- and that's when working with people who're locked in metabolic wards. What he did say was that if someone's total calorific consumption drops very low, T3 will go down ... but then they found it comes right back up when the calories are increased again. A rather simpler explanation.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    OMG, OMG, I had my very first experience entering the foods in the calculator yesterday and going: "Well, that's too low on calories, I will need to eat something else." Pretty cool. I did ended up with a higher calories day... 1300 cals, wow. I was feeling the effects of having too low cals yesterday, but it was not hunger. Just lightheaded feeling. NICE! 1300 cals on a CW made me into a crazy person, binging in shame on source yogurt. In the morning, everybody was dragging me into meetings, that lasted and lasted, and here it was, 11 am, not having had chance to have a breakfast... and my thought was: "So, I will just have to have lunch I suppose."

Another thing is that I stopped craving. Anything. I don't take a rabid interest in cooking any more either. My folks were eating syrniks with home made jam, and I was not experiencing the usual 'poor me' feeling. I am not licking spoons I use for dishing my daughter's yogurt or have shaking hands when I cut and measure her fruit. So good. I know it might not last, but for now it is GOOD.

Anyway, it looks like I will be back to where I started this month this weekend (fingers crossed), so I would have passed the initial adaptation stage where I was eating far too much. Now that I see the hunger level down, I am willing to at least attempt to stick with low carb over the weekend. Again, fingers crossed.

@Adamm:

Thank you for sharing your lifting experience in ketosis! I less nervous now about not having the scared 'carb-up'. And, do not worry, please, I deserve what I got. I still did not learn to moderate my tone on the Internet when the topic is close to my heart, so I slip into melodrama, and share emotions that need be left private. I get carried away, and folks react negatively. One of this days, I will learn how not to pass for a resident drama queen.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-14-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Great progress Leida. I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I listened to a podcast where the guest said there are people who have adverse effects to low carb like cold hands or hair loss, but that is the exception to the rule. The few people who have unusual thyroid reactions will need to up their carbs. For the rest of us, lower carbs and protein may give us optimal energy and health.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Great progress Leida. I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I listened to a podcast where the guest said there are people who have adverse effects to low carb like cold hands or hair loss, but that is the exception to the rule. The few people who have unusual thyroid reactions will need to up their carbs. For the rest of us, lower carbs and protein may give us optimal energy and health. Today is DH's birthday so we're trying to keep calories and protein low till dinner so we can enjoy a sweet potato and decent size prime rib.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you

Gonna buy Devon Cream today (super high fat cream) to make a pea and spinach soup (with ham and bacon). Our last green peas and beans from the garden.... The amazing thing is, I can have the soup and still stay under 30 g carbs. Pretty cool.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think it's so hard to not go over protein requirements. Like I said in a post above I don't count anything... just not willing to do it with past eating disorders, lack of time, lack of interest, etc. (I do watch my portions, though). The one thing I calculated was my protein requirements and I think it was around 80 grams and my goal weight is 125. If I eat two meals a day I can't imagine I'm going over 80 grams of protein or even hitting that much. For instance, yesterday for lunch I had 3 eggs and 3 small pieces of bacon and for dinner I had 1/2 of a steak (I'll guess it was 4-5 oz) with blue cheese and butter and 1/2 an avocado. That can't be over 80 grams. Am I wrong? I doubt if any of my meals have 40 grams of protein in them and I only eat twice a day. For those of you having a hard time with this do you eat 3 times a day? Requirements less than 80-ish grams... seems like that would be low?

Page 64 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast