Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 61

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Running and biking are not problem as long as I stay around 75-80% max heart rate. But hammering uphills...and feel like powerless miserable slug. Also doing heavy powerclean or squat glycogen depleted sucks . I think this nutritional ketosis works better for people spending most time in aerobic zones aka ultra distance stuff.
    Yes, that is very true. It's not good for people who hammer on the hills and lift heavy weights in the gym. It's ideal for endurance. The mistake people make is thinking that being an athlete means you need more carbs. It depends on what you do. The other mistake is thinking that if you lift heavy or power up hills and VLC doesn't work for you that it is bad for everyone who is an athlete. So pick what works best for you and carry on.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    So, epigenetically speaking, does "fat-adapted" mean that some genes that are turned off (such as the ones that code for production of lipases) have now become active? It seems to me that that is what might happen. If so, wouldn't it take a while for there to be a majority, or even quite a few, cells that are capable of producing lipases? I don't think existing cells change -- they have die and be replaced by new ones that know how to make lipases. There are a lot of variables here. Mark says it takes about two weeks. I'm wondering if, for some people, it might take a lot longer, such as the frustrated person in this thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65725.html

I had darkfield blood analysis done once, back in pre-primal days. The guy who did it said I had a lot of fat in my bloodstream and commented "your body doesn't like fat." That kind of blood analysis needs a huge dose of rigorous study, IMHO, but he was commenting on what he saw compared to what he usually saw.

If you were an ace sugar burner (and I was), and sugar didn't make you fat (and it didn't), maybe it's going to take a lot longer to convert to being a really capable fat burner. Couple of months, maybe?
    Phil Maffetone would describe being fat adapted as building up your red, or slow twitch, muscle fibers as those are the muscle fibers that use fat for energy.
    Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Aerobic?

Dr. Mike Eades would say that becoming fat adapted means building a whole new set of enzymes in the body, which takes some time.
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I

Gnolls.org has a lot of science to explain things and nowhere did I see that it required any genes to turn on or off.
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ... It's ideal for endurance. The mistake people make is thinking that being an athlete means you need more carbs. It depends on what you do ...
    Indeed. And the historical record should have taught us that. Sad that it didn't.

Look at the fur trade. The voyageurs were walking laden through rough terrain with plenty of weight up (anything up to a couple of hundred pounds, IIRC) -- what the Royal Marines would call "yomping" -- when subsisting on pemmican . How could anyone do that? That's the business of scientists to find out; it's not the business of anyone to try to deny what's well-attested just because it doesn't fit in with some ideology of how we work when the historical record says otherwise.

Vide Vilhjalmur Stefansson's thoughts:

http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the...stefansson.pdf

(Everyone seriously interested in either hunter-gatherers or low-carb diets should read that.)

That must be explained.

But anaerobic activity that's sustained for any length of time -- that's a different situation.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    "After just a few days I entered light nutritional ketosis (over 0.5 mmol/L on the meter). But it took a full three weeks to achieve stable optimal ketosis (1.5 – 3 mmol/L) in the mornings."

Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com

"I've been measuring blood ketones for about 6 weeks now. I have also consistently been in the optional range (or over) for about 10 days." ~ from the comments in that thread above.

Light nutritional ketosis -- I think that's what I've been able to manage so far.

Thanks, sbhikes! I'll read those links.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I can't shake off the weekend gain, despite pretty decent couple of days. Will try to stick to under 1000 calories today (maybe 600-800), hoping that the deficit will be sharp enough to start knocking it off. I really don't understand what's going on. With the carb ups, the weight was always dropping off really fast. I guess overeating fat is far, far more dangerous than overeating the carbs.
    Overeating CALORIES is the problem. Low carb just makes it easier not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    Just finished The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, I'll read Jan Kwasniewski's Ultimate Diet later, though my polish kind of sucks. Also going to read the Hyperlipid website. Any other recommendations on what I should read? I read pretty fast :P
    Anyway this is a great thread, I'm glad I'm going back to low carb. I was scared away with all the people saying it's bad for the thyroid and makes their hair fall out.
    I felt so good and clear headed during my exams when I did almost zero carb + IF
    Dr. JK's book is available in English under the title "Homo Optimus". Also Dr. Peter Attia at The Eating Academy blog is well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The Ultimate Diet 2.0 I am referring to is actually in English by the guy called Lyle McDonald.
    UD2 is dangerous and the most massively unhealthy monstrosity of a diet plan ever invented. Run, very fast and very far away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I definitely found my lifting performance suffered on VLC. It seems great for endurance athletes, but quite a few folks who lift heavy on a regular basis have had a similar experience even after a few months of trying to adapt to long-term ketosis. I've found that eating enough carbs to replenish muscle glycogen but not excessive quantities allows me to have the performance I want and still be able to use fat for fuel when I need it (long hikes for example). Being fat adapted doesn't necessarily mean being in ketosis 24/7. That's where there can be an advantage in being metabolically flexible.
    Exactly. Nobosy is saying that everyone HAS ot be in ketosis. The ability to shift in and out is a survival plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Leida, I don't know there's any solid reason to believe that fat in and of itself is dangerous. But eating under 1000 kcal a day probably is. The odd day eating nothing wouldn't matter, if you got good nutrition and plenty of it most of the time. But I doubt a chronically low intake of food is anything other than counterproductive not to say dangerous.
    I agree with Lewis. Some "Eat Stop Eat" fasting would probably be better for you than chronic under-eating.

So, epigenetically speaking, does "fat-adapted" mean that some genes that are turned off (such as the ones that code for production of lipases) have now become active? It seems to me that that is what might happen. If so, wouldn't it take a while for there to be a majority, or even quite a few, cells that are capable of producing lipases? I don't think existing cells change -- they have die and be replaced by new ones that know how to make lipases. There are a lot of variables here. Mark says it takes about two weeks. I'm wondering if, for some people, it might take a lot longer, such as the frustrated person in this thread.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65725.html

If you were an ace sugar burner (and I was), and sugar didn't make you fat (and it didn't), maybe it's going to take a lot longer to convert to being a really capable fat burner. Couple of months, maybe?
    Yes, the longer the body has been constantly in sugar burning mode, the more it has "forgotten" how to do fat burning. This is going to make the transition harder and longer. The two week period cited by Phinney and Volek is a minimum.

Yes, that is very true. It's not good for people who hammer on the hills and lift heavy weights in the gym. It's ideal for endurance. The mistake people make is thinking that being an athlete means you need more carbs. It depends on what you do. The other mistake is thinking that if you lift heavy or power up hills and VLC doesn't work for you that it is bad for everyone who is an athlete. So pick what works best for you and carry on.
    Could not have said it better.

Phil Maffetone would describe being fat adapted as building up your red, or slow twitch, muscle fibers as those are the muscle fibers that use fat for energy.
    Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Aerobic?

Dr. Mike Eades would say that becoming fat adapted means building a whole new set of enzymes in the body, which takes some time.
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I

Gnolls.org has a lot of science to explain things and nowhere did I see that it required any genes to turn on or off.
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG
    Good links, SB.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Just checking back in! I've been away, and also had a huge IBS flare that is now slowly resolving. No pain relief needed for just over 24 hours now, and I can get my rings on my fingers . One piece of learning from that is that coconut is a trigger. I'm bummed by that, but also can track where things have gone awry over the last year - whenever I've tried to add exercise to the PB plan, I've also increased my coconut intake, and subsequently the whole precarious health plan has collapsed. It's happened both times I have tried ketosis, too. But when you know better, you do better, right?? This is me, doing better .

I haven't started tracking serum ketone levels yet - this is day 3 after I used rice to manage some of my symptoms. I'll track again at the weekend when I can expect to start seeing some results. Energy and clarity of thought are coming back now, though.

Great links and resources in this thread - it's been great going back over the posts!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Just checking back in! I've been away, and also had a huge IBS flare that is now slowly resolving. No pain relief needed for just over 24 hours now, and I can get my rings on my fingers . One piece of learning from that is that coconut is a trigger. I'm bummed by that, but also can track where things have gone awry over the last year - whenever I've tried to add exercise to the PB plan, I've also increased my coconut intake, and subsequently the whole precarious health plan has collapsed. It's happened both times I have tried ketosis, too. But when you know better, you do better, right?? This is me, doing better .

I haven't started tracking serum ketone levels yet - this is day 3 after I used rice to manage some of my symptoms. I'll track again at the weekend when I can expect to start seeing some results. Energy and clarity of thought are coming back now, though.

Great links and resources in this thread - it's been great going back over the posts!
    No coconut!! Yikes! Hopefully when you have your gut issues all healed up, then you can re-introduce some of these trigger foods without a problem.

Clarity of thought is a good thing. I think I'll have marrow bones for dinner.

This is interesting . . . do you suppose it's true? As I said previously, I'm not sure I believe that "detoxifying" is real. However, I sure have been having a lot of symptoms that are familiar from pre-PB days: achy joints, acne, brain fog, fatigue, nosebleeds.

"Before I discovered the paleo diet, I was a zoner and zone diet instructor. Having taught many people how to zone and watched them through the initial few weeks, I also observed nasty transition symptoms in about 20% of people. Yes they switched from high carb to lower carb 30% carbs with calorie reduction, however this is far above the ketogenic threshhold. I.e eating 90 – 150 g carbs day. The symptoms were identical to low carb flu. Barry Sears has a different take on this. He says it is a release of archidonic acid (AA) from fat cells, from a previous high carb + omega 6 diet. This diet leads to a large amount of AA sequestered in fat cells. The sudden release leads to production of the inflammatory eicosanoid hormones which give the following symptoms – headaches, constipation, fatigue, aches and pains and more interestingly an increase in any inflammatory condition the person suffers from. Increased allergies, eczema or asthma flare up or increased joint pain if arthritic etc. Al of these are linked to overproduction of AA derived eicosanoids. There are two ways to reduce it – 1. add more carbs – it stops the fat loss or slows it down, 2. add a high dose of omega 3 which counteracts the inflammatory hormones."

From the comments on this thread: The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is interesting . . . do you suppose it's true? As I said previously, I'm not sure I believe that "detoxifying" is real. However, I sure have been having a lot of symptoms that are familiar from pre-PB days: achy joints, acne, brain fog, fatigue, nosebleeds.

"Before I discovered the paleo diet, I was a zoner and zone diet instructor. Having taught many people how to zone and watched them through the initial few weeks, I also observed nasty transition symptoms in about 20% of people. Yes they switched from high carb to lower carb 30% carbs with calorie reduction, however this is far above the ketogenic threshhold. I.e eating 90 – 150 g carbs day. The symptoms were identical to low carb flu. Barry Sears has a different take on this. He says it is a release of archidonic acid (AA) from fat cells, from a previous high carb + omega 6 diet. This diet leads to a large amount of AA sequestered in fat cells. The sudden release leads to production of the inflammatory eicosanoid hormones which give the following symptoms – headaches, constipation, fatigue, aches and pains and more interestingly an increase in any inflammatory condition the person suffers from. Increased allergies, eczema or asthma flare up or increased joint pain if arthritic etc. Al of these are linked to overproduction of AA derived eicosanoids. There are two ways to reduce it – 1. add more carbs – it stops the fat loss or slows it down, 2. add a high dose of omega 3 which counteracts the inflammatory hormones."

From the comments on this thread: The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG
    I share your skepticism about the whole detox thing. It seems like hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras instead of horses to me. The low carb flu, as that Gnolls post pointed out is very real. It is a major shift in the way a body functions. That is enough to cause all those symptoms and more. I'm not a biochemist but it really seems unlikely to me that there could be sufficient quantity of a toxic substance stored in your fat being released in a large enough quantity all at once to really make a difference. You don't lose all your fat stores in a week (much as we would like to).

ETA: I can see that if a person were *extremely* obese and lost weight *extremely* quickly, the system might be bombarded with too many stored toxins at once. Quelsen, our very own Honey Badger, who has made some monumental progress in very fast bursts has reported these kind of "detox" reactions. But I doubt this is the case for most people just dropping the bit of extra padding around the midsection.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-12-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast