Page 59 of 104 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 59

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Obviosuly, the optimal solution is to get a blood ketone (well, really beta-OH butyrate) meter and test myself, but I am unwilling to shell out ...
    Judging by the graph on Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's site showing his blood ketones and urine ketones, the ketostix might not be as bad as people have feared.

The peaks and troughs do track each other somewhat, although things do go a bit adrift just past 4th September:

Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Judging by the graph on Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's site showing his blood ketones and urine ketones, the ketostix might not be as bad as people have feared.

The peaks and troughs do track each other somewhat, although things do go a bit adrift just past 4th September:

Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com
    Good info. Thanks, Lewis.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Anyway, Plaeobird, have you ever calculated the macros for the pate & could you share? I am putting it in as a commercial pork Liver Sausage atm.
    I will find it and add it momentarily. Got it. This is based on 2lbs liver, 1 stick butter and 1 cup cream.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving :4oz
    Calories: 263.2
    Total Fat: 18.4 g
    Cholesterol: 25.9 mg
    Sodium: 1.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 23.4 g

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I am making Multi-fat soup today. Broccoli base with Kerrygold cheese, onions, misc. spices, chopped bacon, bacon grease, coconut milk, heavy cream, a little tahini, and a little almond butter. I just taste it as I go and add ingredients to taste.
    Can I come over for dinner? I'll bring my own spoon......

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    For those who have been doing the keto thing for a while or are at maintenance:

How do you handle those meals that are beyond conforming to keto? How did you recover from those....er.....breaks in the keto routine? How soon did you feel comfortable introducing the odd meal (which for my ratios would throw off the whole day!) into your day to day without it throwing stuff off?

Right now I am keeping the straight and narrow. However, at times I am going to want to break out and have a more relaxed approach to the odd meal now and then.

BTW, the fat bread is outstanding!!!
    It is awesome. About "odd meals" I'm finding the only time those would even come up is when out with friends, so then I just IF and, if pressed, say "I already ate" or I do actually eat before going.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    How much protein can you consume per meal and maintain sufficient ketone levels?

I'm interested in giving this a try during my deload week from the gym. I want to have as much protein as possible to maintain muscle mass, but I don't want to put myself in the "zone of misery" with too much. Obviosuly, the optimal solution is to get a blood ketone (well, really beta-OH butyrate) meter and test myself, but I am unwilling to shell out the cash for those test strips.

My "problem" is that I often eat 1, (sometimes 2) meal(s) per day. I've seen the recommendation of ~1.5g/kg body mass, which would put me ~110g of protein. I know that that much in one meal would almost certainly inhibit ketosis , at least temporarily. Would splitting it to 2 meals help? If so, what is the minimum time between meals that would allow me to keep ketones high (insulin low)?

I saw in the comments on Peter Attia's blog (eatingacademy.com) that he has a post in the works based on his personal experience with IF and maintaining ketosis, but I was wondering if you guys had any insight. Thanks in advance.
    I think trying to break it down by meal is getting into the realm of over-thinking things. There are several "magic formulas" out there for protein limitation to stay in ketosis. The 1.5g/kg of LBM is what Phinney and Volek recommend.

The ketostix are very accurate as you are going into ketosis. Where their accuracy drifts off however is when you have been there a while and have become very adept at burning the ketones up so very few are being excreted out to measure. Then the blood meter is the only accurate measure.
    I think this kind of measuring is good to get started but, once you have been there, you know what it feels like and measuring becomes superfluous.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have a question about things that taste sweet but dont have any carbs in and how they effect ketosis. specifically toothpaste and also i sometimes boil up liquorice root and ginger root for tea. the tea tastes intensely sweet to me but not in a sickly sugary unnatural way. i have always wondered how these two substances effect insulin levels?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have a question about things that taste sweet but dont have any carbs in and how they effect ketosis. specifically toothpaste and also i sometimes boil up liquorice root and ginger root for tea. the tea tastes intensely sweet to me but not in a sickly sugary unnatural way. i have always wondered how these two substances effect insulin levels?
    Seaweed: Good question. I read somewhere (sorry, cannot reference it now), that even chewing gum is enough to affect ketosis. Since reading that, I have avoided gum. I brush my teeth a lot, and use the 'mint-flavoured' floss about 4 x per day, but not about to give that up. I look forward to hearing from others on this.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I was bitten by this bug and have upped my fat and cleaned up the rest of my diet and am down 3 pounds! Big test will be later this month...probably an anovulatory cycle (previous ovarian cyst surgery that I believe damaged one ovary)...and I tend to spiral more out of control with PMS and food cravings when I do not ovulate!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think I blew my low carb buzz for sure today, maybe yesterday because I had a little bit of beer yesterday. I wonder how long it takes to get it back?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Picaro is offline Member
    Beer has wheat....run.. do not walk, to your nearest druidic priest for purification.

Here's Jimmy Moore talking about his recent ketosis experiences:

Nutritional Ketosis & Weight Loss with Jimmy Moore 09/11 by DrLoRadio | Blog Talk Radio

Here's Jimmy Moore talking about his recent ketosis experiences:

Nutritional Ketosis & Weight Loss with Jimmy Moore 09/11 by DrLoRadio | Blog Talk Radio
    To add to that -- just listened on my iPod, and it was worth the time.

Jimmy's chemistry is a bit off. He said tou can't metabolize acetoacetate. The hostess didn't correct him, but of course you can:

Fatty Acids -- Synthesis from acetyl CoA: Acetoacetate

But never mind. It's what his experiences have been like that are of interest here.

Page 59 of 104 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast