Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 57

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That's sounds like a good explanation to what happens to be in the evenings when I go on my tea drinking slug. The more I drink it, the more exhausted I become, the more I want it... Something to consider. I have never heard of it before.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Frequency of urination and colour of urine. It should be every two or three hours and a light straw colour. If it's less frequent and more of a yellow colour, you're dehydrated; if it's every few minutes and clear you've overdone it.
    Unless, of course, you've been hitting the B vitamins, which colour your urine deep yellow till they're flushed through. Actually, I've heard that clear urine is desirable, as it indicated adequate hydration. Whatever, I salt plenty, drink enough, and at bedtime, if I still feel thirsty, will chug a glass of water, regardless of it causing midnight bathroom jaunts. And one reason for dry mouth... is snoring or mouth breathing. A hair in the mouth, if your bed partner hasn't already mentioned your snoring, is a dead giveaway for mouth breathers. Stuffy noses are another. Take a sip of water to relieve the dryness ; it is neither here nor there.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Frequency of urination and colour of urine. It should be every two or three hours and a light straw colour. If it's less frequent and more of a yellow colour, you're dehydrated; if it's every few minutes and clear you've overdone it.
    Unless, of course, you've been hitting the B vitamins, which colour your urine deep yellow till they're flushed through. Actually, I've heard that clear urine is desirable, as it indicated adequate hydration. Whatever, I salt plenty, drink enough, and at bedtime, if I still feel thirsty, will chug a glass of water, regardless of it causing midnight bathroom jaunts. And one reason for dry mouth... is snoring or mouth breathing. A hair in the mouth, if your bed partner hasn't already mentioned your snoring, is a dead giveaway for mouth breathers. Stuffy noses are another. Take a sip of water to relieve the dryness ; it is neither here nor there.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I want to share a bone broth discovery. Due to time restraints I had to freeze my shank bones after many hours of slow cooking. When I brought them out of the freezer to plop back into the broth and brought them back up to heat the most excellent marrow just slid out whole...no digging, no effort at all. I suppose everyone else already knew this but I just had to share.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    Louisa, on the "Restless Sleep" thread, someone mentioned "Hypoglycemic Amnesia." It has symptoms of restless sleep and needing ferociously to eat or drink in the middle of the night. I wonder if it's this? I'm probably eating too low on the carbs, like you <20 g per day, in a attempt to feel the ketosis magic.

When you've been a carb hound for decades, maybe it takes a couple of years to really be able to generate an abundance of ketones. It's taken at least two years for my thyroid and adrenal glands to recover. So, who knows what two years of VLC will bring?

When I think about having to undergo one of those tests where you chug a big bunch of glucose and see what happens, I turn pale and feel faint. I think that would just about kill me. But I'm better than I used to be, blood sugar wise. I didn't used to be able to go on a three hour car trip without a big bag of tortilla chips to eat, and now I can not eat for a whole day.

Are you possibly hypoglycemic?

Here's the restless sleep thread. Post number 7 refers to hypoglycemic insomnia. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65633.html
    Appreciate your raising your hand with me on this. I don't think I'm hypoglycemic. I don't wake up at night feeling thirsty. I focused on drinking quite a bit today, and I'm feeling hydrated tonight while in bed, catching up on my reading. We've had a very hot summer here, and that may have accounted for some of my thirst. Also, when I go for my 10km walks, I often forget to bring hydration. I will continue monitoring my thirst needs and will research this, should I find myself on the left side of 'normal'. Cheers, and thanks a bunch! /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennaejay View Post
    I'm still lurking in the shadows, reading. Y'all are convincing me to try this VLC for at least 5-6 days a week, I'll probably throw in a refeed once a week after a heavy day.
    Do any of you have any good links or tips about ketosis?

Anyway keep up the great comments, a lot of us out here are munching on proverbial popcorn and listening and learning
    There is an abundance of great 'how to' on the internet. I searched from ketosis to ketogenic diet and there's some very good sources and how to's.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    There is an abundance of great 'how to' on the internet. I searched from ketosis to ketogenic diet and there's some very good sources and how to's.
    I suggest that anyone wanting to start a ketogenic way of eating start with the blog of Dr Peter Attia called The Eating Academy. He did a guest post here on MDA so Mark trusts him to be a good source of info as well.

froggie is offline Member
    WOW -- I wanted to thank Paleobird & thread contributors for this incredible wealth of information! (and I haven't read it all yet!)
    Stating the 'obvious' truly helps. I've done some adjustments to my diet as to replace some carbs with fat.

Who knew a single banana could put you over the ketosis edge!? (helloooo 28g of carbs / banana!)

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post

Gotta wonder just what is the difference. Maybe generic has a lot of antibiotics? Why would antibiotics promote cravings?
    don't know that it's the antibiotics, but more likely the absolute crap corn/soy they eat. that kind of diet must create a very different, and far inferior, nutritional profile in the milk/cheese/cream. i think of it as how unhealthy i was when i was eating the wrong foods. gawd, i was sick ALL the time. if push came to shove and somebody had had to eat me to live? :O
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Originally Posted by noodletoy

you may want to switch your tracker to figure net carbs for you. carbs minus fiber = net carbs.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California
    a whole avocado is only 3 nc.
    Originally posted by Paleobird:

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that net carbs make sense when you are talking about excluding the fiber from the count. That does not give a free pass to all the weird sugar alcohol sweetened stuff whose wrappers claim those carbs don't count in the net.
    i know there is some fuzzy math there, but i sure as hell don't eat that stuff and kind of assumed other people here also do not?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast