Page 55 of 104 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 55

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sanas, have you tried it with just keeping butter (or possibly ghee) in the mix minus the other dairy stuff? You might be able to get away with this given that there are very little milk solids involved. Butter makes getting to keto levels of fat much easier.
    I've cut way back on cheese and yogurt -- basically none. Butter I've learned to love in hot drinks, and I think it's ok. (I've been meaning to make or get some ghee, because I think I'll love that too.) Heavy cream in coffee, though . . . really don't want to give it up. (I have to watch it with the coconut milk, because I'm mildly allergic to nuts. The oil is ok, though, and I eat that by the spoonful.)

I'm hoping there's kind of a threshold, where you can have a little bit with no consequences. I'm not achy lately, so maybe I'm on the right side of it.

I haven't tried bacon grease in coffee yet . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I've given up on keto-stix because even when I'm dropping body fat fast, have stinky-tones and no appetite, I pee negative to trace at best.
    That's interesting, Knifegill. Why is that, do you suppose? Maybe you're really good at burning the ketones? Long time ago, I did the Atkins diet for about 3 weeks, IIRC, long enough to get to where you can eat a bit of cabbage along with your bacon. I couldn't turn the keto stick either. Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    had organic cream with berries after-dinner last night and had no cravings, so i'm thinking it's something about the grain-fed cheese. dunno, lol.
    I wonder? I bought two kinds of blue cheese. One of them gives me cravings, the other takes them away. The no-cravings cheese was a lovely Stilton from England, and the other was "Danish Blue Cheese" from Denmark.

If I'm drinking probably 16 oz water in the evenings and still waking up in the night dry-mouthed and twitchy in the body, drinking another full glass of water and then sleeping well, does this mean I'm dehydrated? What's happening with my electrolytes?

I added lots of salt to everything until it all seemed too salty and then I stopped. I guess I should start again?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I can never remember which morph is which. But I'm not the good one. Here are honest photos of me where I didn't catch the angle or light just right:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8444/7...95d70a87b2.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8322/7...a74c0ea425.jpg

What bothers me is that my belly and upper arms continue to be fat. It would be nice to have more slender knees and ankles. It would be nice to resemble the athlete that I truly am. I seriously kick ass compared to most people I meet. I'm not the fastest, I'm not the strongest, but I will dog you until you collapse in a heap just like a persistence hunter catches an antelope.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    That's interesting, Knifegill. Why is that, do you suppose? Maybe you're really good at burning the ketones? Long time ago, I did the Atkins diet for about 3 weeks, IIRC, long enough to get to where you can eat a bit of cabbage along with your bacon. I couldn't turn the keto stick either. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Sanas: This is interesting as I'm having similar results. I'm thirsty all the time, despite the fact that I'm drinking at least a gallon a day. I add salt to everything, and even when my keto stick say 'negative', I know that I am producing keytones because my carbs are <20grams per day and I have a metal taste in my mouth. I made some bone broth last night, and will begin consuming two cups per day to see if that helps. Back to the water fountain
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

ennaejay is offline Member
    I'm still lurking in the shadows, reading. Y'all are convincing me to try this VLC for at least 5-6 days a week, I'll probably throw in a refeed once a week after a heavy day.
    Do any of you have any good links or tips about ketosis? I'm fine with fasting, training fasted, and going low(er) carb than now, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to do it. My butt/thighs have gotten softer in the past 12 months (only have been eating Primal/SCD/GAPS for about 4 months) and I think it's due to not running as many miles. I'm pretty pissed about it. Maybe I'll go whine in my own thread :P

Anyway keep up the great comments, a lot of us out here are munching on proverbial popcorn and listening and learning

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I bought some triple cream goat brie. Just thought I would inject a little sense into this talk about cheese. Coconut cheese? Nut cheese? Not cheese. Abominations. But I agree that maybe there is too much cheese lately. That's why I'm very grateful for liver pate and pesto.

P.S. I remember when women were not allowed to have a credit card in their own name.
    I have a big wheel of brie in my fridge most of the time. It's my "company food", as well as my nosh filler. And I'm so old I can remember when it was almost a sin to contemplate using any credit at all! ;-)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennaejay View Post
    I'm still lurking in the shadows, reading. Y'all are convincing me to try this VLC for at least 5-6 days a week, I'll probably throw in a refeed once a week after a heavy day.
    Do any of you have any good links or tips about ketosis? I'm fine with fasting, training fasted, and going low(er) carb than now, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to do it. My butt/thighs have gotten softer in the past 12 months (only have been eating Primal/SCD/GAPS for about 4 months) and I think it's due to not running as many miles. I'm pretty pissed about it. Maybe I'll go whine in my own thread :P

Anyway keep up the great comments, a lot of us out here are munching on proverbial popcorn and listening and learning
    I've never really gone full-on, although I don't currently eat much in the way of carbs, so I tend to drift in and out. Maybe I'll go full-bore as the winter closes in -- which would kind of make sense in the northern hemisphere.

How to do it? Less than 50 grams of carbohydrate a day, possibly less for some people. Too much protein will knock you out. Phinney and Volek have plenty of experience with using this with both patients and athletes and they suggest 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of lean bodymass of protein. That's still plenty. If it's too much effort to work out your lean bodymass just use something like 1.4 times ideal bodymass. That's all there is to it, really. Controlled carbs, and adequate but moderated protein.

If you want some links, maybe have a look at Jimmy Moore's recent experiments on himself:

Jimmy Moore

Jimmy Moore

Jimmy Moore

Jimmy has had to go really very low on both carbs and protein, but that may be a personal legacy from his metabolism-busting mega-carb days.

Peter Attia has a lot of stuff written from the point of view of ketosis as an aid to athletic performance in endurance events:

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    If I'm drinking probably 16 oz water in the evenings and still waking up in the night dry-mouthed and twitchy in the body, drinking another full glass of water and then sleeping well, does this mean I'm dehydrated? What's happening with my electrolytes?

I added lots of salt to everything until it all seemed too salty and then I stopped. I guess I should start again?
    ketosis is a natural diuretic and until you get more adapted can whack out your electrolytes. have bone broth with some salt added, avocado or plain electrolyte water -- that can be found at trader joe's and i think the smartwater people make one too. drink more water than you think you need right now.

adding a magnesium supp will also help with the jitters.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 55 of 104 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast