Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 51

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just watched this really interesting lecture on youtube talking about a ketogenic diet. It was very strait forward, and really layed out the basics. So if there are any newbies out there to a Ketogenic Primal way of eating, this is a good basis to work from. (Posted below). (Of course, the Dr. isn't primal, so it goes without saying that you should still avoid grains & processed crap.)

On an interesting note. The Dr. told the group to drink a cup of bullion twice a day (not if you had heard problems or hypertension) to help the body transition to a ketogenic way of eating more easily. He instructed them to do this for the first two weeks. Kind of goes along with what Knifegill & Annlee mentioned.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird, my daughter moved out of the house and in with her boyfriend while I was in the States in April....(little stinker she is) so the Food Patrol ain't gettin' anywhere near my house! There'd be some sort of revolution if I had to serve tofurkey. And rightly so!

My friends' son did this last year and combined it with intense gym and really did well...but he suffered. I had a conversation with his lovely English grandma about the whole process and she said "Imagine....vegetables with NO GRAVY." That's what it was all about. Deprivation.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    I just watched this really interesting lecture on youtube talking about a ketogenic diet. It was very strait forward, and really layed out the basics. So if there are any newbies out there to a Ketogenic Primal way of eating, this is a good basis to work from. (Posted below). (Of course, the Dr. isn't primal, so it goes without saying that you should still avoid grains & processed crap.)

On an interesting note. The Dr. told the group to drink a cup of bullion twice a day (not if you had heard problems or hypertension) to help the body transition to a ketogenic way of eating more easily. He instructed them to do this for the first two weeks. Kind of goes along with what Knifegill & Annlee mentioned.
    That was a very good basic primer on the subject if you just ignore the part about diet sodas and sugar free jello (ew). One thing that I think this video kind of touches on too lightly though is the whole idea of portion control. It just says eat as much as you want but stop when you are no longer hungry. If you jsut keep the carbs down, the rest happens all by itself. Well, as many on this forum have found out the hard way, myself included, it is Very possible to overeat even on low carb high fat foods particularly when your satiety/hunger signaling mechanisms are in less than optimal working order.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    Paleobird, my daughter moved out of the house and in with her boyfriend while I was in the States in April....(little stinker she is) so the Food Patrol ain't gettin' anywhere near my house! There'd be some sort of revolution if I had to serve tofurkey. And rightly so!

My friends' son did this last year and combined it with intense gym and really did well...but he suffered. I had a conversation with his lovely English grandma about the whole process and she said "Imagine....vegetables with NO GRAVY." That's what it was all about. Deprivation.
    Some people have the idea that if there is no deprivation going on, it can't possibly be doing any good.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    So with the fat bread muffins, do you change the cooking time or anything? I'll probably look around for some of those mini muffin pans, it will be a lot easier to portion that way.

Making chicken bone broth, can you just take bones from cooked chicken to use? Do you need to break the bones open?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have been snarfing the salads lately. Can't get enough. Probably over my low carb threshold with the beets and tomatoes on my salads. I have not been tracking calories or macros. Maybe I will resume. I thought I was starting to lose again but I guess I was wrong. I sometimes wonder if even if the food you eat is low in calories, like salad, if you overeat and end up full does being full also make you fat?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    So with the fat bread muffins, do you change the cooking time or anything? I'll probably look around for some of those mini muffin pans, it will be a lot easier to portion that way.
    Making chicken bone broth, can you just take bones from cooked chicken to use? Do you need to break the bones open?
    Find the optimal time by trial and (hopefully not too much) error and report back.
    Breaking the bones open makes the broth richer in mmmmmmarrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have been snarfing the salads lately. Can't get enough. Probably over my low carb threshold with the beets and tomatoes on my salads. I have not been tracking calories or macros. Maybe I will resume. I thought I was starting to lose again but I guess I was wrong. I sometimes wonder if even if the food you eat is low in calories, like salad, if you overeat and end up full does being full also make you fat?
    There is an interesting series of posts on the Hyperlipid site called "Whose Fat is it Anyway?" Peter is talking about the zillions of microbes that inhabit our digestive systems and eat the fibrous stuff we can't use. When the microbes are deprived of their cellulose, they send out a signaling chemical called FIAF or Fasting Induced Adipose Factor which tells the body to burn some fat for them to eat since there's no cellulose in this damn restaurant. As long as we keep feeding the microbes salads, they don't send out the word to burn fat. Interesting reading.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm getting to know my new best friend, Ketosis. It's hard to describe, sort of a lightness, a warmth in my body, no need to sleep in the day even after a late night, and while I haven't got what others have described as "laser-like focus," my dreams are more, um, organized? Longer, more coherent, less crazy. I'm not seeing the scale change, but I seem to be losing a bit of sub-cutaneous fat.

One thing that I've noticed: I've suspected dairy and I don't really get along, but I eat butter and cheese and high-fat yogurt. I started feeling quite achy and my teeth became sensitive again. At first I thought it was "detoxification" as fat was being burned, but I'm not sure that really happens. Then I thought, since I've bumped up the dairy considerably to get enough fat, maybe it's really bothering me. I've cut back on the dairy, and it seems to have resolved. Another food group gone. I must live on liver and lettuce, it seems.

Paleobird Guest
    Sanas, have you tried it with just keeping butter (or possibly ghee) in the mix minus the other dairy stuff? You might be able to get away with this given that there are very little milk solids involved. Butter makes getting to keto levels of fat much easier.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing this without much dairy. A little raw cheese every other week is about it. I know I don't need the cheese, but since I seem to tolerate the raw cheese, and I REALLY love cheese - I'm allowing it. I'm using mostly coconut milk, coconut oil, tallow, eggs, avocado, bacon, organ meats and poultry and fish, and some leafy greens for good measure.

I've given up on keto-stix because even when I'm dropping body fat fast, have stinky-tones and no appetite, I pee negative to trace at best.

Just saying, power to you, you can do this without dairy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    About the ketostix, you are probably so well fat adapted at this point that they are not really that reliable any more. They are a good metric as you are first getting into keto, but later you become so good at burning the ketones that there are not that many being flushed out. You fat burning beast, you.

Yes, to do this without any dairy would involve a lot of coconut but it could definitely be done. Is it possible to make coconut milk cheese? Must google.........

ETA: I found this on a vegan site but we won't hold that against them. http://sweetroots.blogspot.com/2012/...onut-milk.html
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-09-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast