Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 50

Isabel1989 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi paleobird and everyone, do anyone of u guys have this problem that I had?

I have been constantly tracking my diet since I started primal, and my usual calories intake is around 1200cal and fat intake is around 50-60% (mainly from nuts, fresh milk and cheese), 30% protein (from milk cottage cheese and lean meat), and 10% carbo (which is around 40g of total carbo and mainly from the fresh milk I drank). Exercising wise I usually do jogs, tennis weight lifting. Ultimately I aim to achieve a calorie deficit.

When I am on this type of diet, I actually notice that I am losing weight but at the same time gaining body fat? I actually look fatter even though I lost around 2kg in 1 month. Is there something wrong with my body or it's just my imagination?

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating this way for a week now and am feeling really good. My lovely almost-21 year old daughter who likes to torture herself when she loses weight just called and asked me if I'd unofficially particpate in some 90-day Food Patrol challenge with her. I told her I wasn't willing to change what I was doing right now, but I'll be her accountability buddy and I'll participate doing the good fat/mod protein/lower carbs thing. I hope the Food Patrol isn't some CW nonsense.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel1989 View Post

I have been constantly tracking my diet since I started primal, and my usual calories intake is around 1200cal and fat intake is around 50-60% (mainly from nuts, fresh milk and cheese), 30% protein (from milk cottage cheese and lean meat), and 10% carbo (which is around 40g of total carbo and mainly from the fresh milk I drank). Exercising wise I usually do jogs, tennis weight lifting. Ultimately I aim to achieve a calorie deficit.

When I am on this type of diet, I actually notice that I am losing weight but at the same time gaining body fat? I actually look fatter even though I lost around 2kg in 1 month. Is there something wrong with my body or it's just my imagination?
    Out of interest, what are you basing that calorie intake on, seems remarkably low, well below your basal metabolic rate I would guess.

Annlee is offline Senior Member

I notice two things - a lot of dairy (with lactose, which seems to be quite insulinogenic) and possibly quite a bit of O-6 (nuts - depending on how much of them, and which nuts - O-6 content is quite variable there). The net of this is that you may be persisting in a low-level inflammatory state, which is preventing the lean out I would expect at that intake and output level. Poor man's version is that your body perceives stress (inflammation) and therefore hangs on to fat, and that is exacerbated by the insulin release from the lactose.

Note - this is a possibility, not a diagnosis. But you might try emphasizing the cheese and meat, more butter, less milk and cottage cheese, and evaluate. Among other things, you might reduce the carbs and, without the insulin, find a fair amount of water release when glycogen stores decline. If you do go lower carb, it's important to keep your sodium up, or you will lose potassium as the body rebalances and kidney function accommodates. This is described in Phinney and Volek - Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (9780983490708): Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek: Books

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    After a considerable period of adaptation, though, it seems the sodium can be dialed back. I was using salt for a long time and (thought it really saved my hide at first) my BP ended up around 155/90-ish in time, so I started taking magnesium and potassium instead and only get sodium from food instead of adding it. Now my BP is back to 120/70-ish and I feel great.

Now I get most of my sodium from bacon and sauerkraut. Ohhhhh, yes. Yes I DO!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    After a considerable period of adaptation, though, it seems the sodium can be dialed back. I was using salt for a long time and (thought it really saved my hide at first) my BP ended up around 155/90-ish in time, so I started taking magnesium and potassium instead and only get sodium from food instead of adding it. Now my BP is back to 120/70-ish and I feel great.

Fair comment. I haven't found the need to use bouillon like others, or even much supplemental salt. But I do use some, and others have reported it making a very large difference. Obviously, it would only apply when going into ketosis, and dealing with natriuresis -- Natriuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Takuan.Daikon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    For the people who have made Free the Animal Fat Bread, have you tried making it in any other form than a loaf? While I have never really liked bread in general, fat bread garlic knots sound very good. I'm just wondering if the bread would hold up to cooking in that kind of shape.
    I doubt it would be shape-able enough to make knots, but I've made Fat Bread Muffins and really enjoyed them. In the next day or two I plan to try a batch with a bit of cheese and diced jalapeno in the hopes of getting something reminiscent of the old cornbread I used to enjoy so much.

Paleobird Guest

Not actually seeing you, there is no way for me to know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    I've been eating this way for a week now and am feeling really good. My lovely almost-21 year old daughter who likes to torture herself when she loses weight just called and asked me if I'd unofficially particpate in some 90-day Food Patrol challenge with her. I told her I wasn't willing to change what I was doing right now, but I'll be her accountability buddy and I'll participate doing the good fat/mod protein/lower carbs thing. I hope the Food Patrol isn't some CW nonsense.
    The Food Patrol is going to kick in the door and confiscate your bacon and kerrygold and replace it with tofurky and margarine.

Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    Out of interest, what are you basing that calorie intake on, seems remarkably low, well below your basal metabolic rate I would guess.
    Again, we are only guessing without more stats like height, weight, and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    I notice two things - a lot of dairy (with lactose, which seems to be quite insulinogenic) and possibly quite a bit of O-6 (nuts - depending on how much of them, and which nuts - O-6 content is quite variable there). The net of this is that you may be persisting in a low-level inflammatory state, which is preventing the lean out I would expect at that intake and output level. Poor man's version is that your body perceives stress (inflammation) and therefore hangs on to fat, and that is exacerbated by the insulin release from the lactose.
    Yes. This is a good guess. A lot of people are not massively intolerant to dairy digestively, but it can still cause a systemic, low level, chronic inflammation. I've found I do fine if i stick to the high end of the fat spectrum in dairy where the milk solids are lower like mascarpone.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Fair comment. I haven't found the need to use bouillon like others, or even much supplemental salt. But I do use some, and others have reported it making a very large difference. Obviously, it would only apply when going into ketosis, and dealing with natriuresis -- Natriuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting. So the extra sodium need is transitional.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I think I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuan.Daikon View Post
    I doubt it would be shape-able enough to make knots, but I've made Fat Bread Muffins and really enjoyed them. In the next day or two I plan to try a batch with a bit of cheese and diced jalapeno in the hopes of getting something reminiscent of the old cornbread I used to enjoy so much.
    Ooooh. Someone was making meatballs on the recipe board with those little mozzarella balls baked inside. One of those inside a fat bread muffin would rock.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I mentioned the fat bread muffin idea to my husband, and his eyes lit up.

"With sausage gravy over them. That would be wonderful!"

Okay... this might be a winner...

Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast