Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1036

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 5

  1. #41
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Cori, I can see it happening rather easily. A bulletproof coffee in the morning (especially if one does not measure the quantity of butter added), a generous portion of HWC with your berries, cooking your greens in a couple of spoons of bacon fat and not draining any off, maybe more butter on your vegetables, coconut milk in a green smoothie--it's easy to add a lot of fat without realizing it. People don't tend to eyeball quantities well, and very few people bother to properly measure their fats.
    Really...
    Holy mother of
    That's all I've got...

    I could not have imagined that myself.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  2. #42
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Exactly. Nothing wrong with adding fat IF you need that many calories in a day. Say if you were eating 2000/day and someone said EAT MOAR FAT so you added 1000 (easy to do, a pat or two of butter a plop of coconut oil....). Then you are eating 3000 and wondering why you are gaining weight. If you shift the macros so you are still eating 2000 but with a higher %age of fat, then it works.

    This is what was wrong with the carb refeed craze from last summer. You were supposed to have a couple carb-ups a week, but almost no fat on those days. That's hard to do when fat is a normal, huge part of your diet.

  3. #43
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Cori, I can see it happening rather easily. A bulletproof coffee in the morning (especially if one does not measure the quantity of butter added), a generous portion of HWC with your berries, cooking your greens in a couple of spoons of bacon fat and not draining any off, maybe more butter on your vegetables, coconut milk in a green smoothie--it's easy to add a lot of fat without realizing it. People don't tend to eyeball quantities well, and very few people bother to properly measure their fats.
    Wouldn't you kind of notice everytime you go to do the weekly shop and clear the shelves of butter and coconut oil?

  4. #44
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Adding a "pat" of butter isn't really that big a deal for most people.

    Of course... I have volume issues so I do "add fat".
    Maybe the way I see things is skewed because of that?
    But I just cannot imagine A.) someone adding a whole stick of butter (or more) a day to their food, and B.) then not at least accounting for those increased calories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Cori, I can see it happening rather easily. A bulletproof coffee in the morning (especially if one does not measure the quantity of butter added), a generous portion of HWC with your berries, cooking your greens in a couple of spoons of bacon fat and not draining any off, maybe more butter on your vegetables, coconut milk in a green smoothie--it's easy to add a lot of fat without realizing it. People don't tend to eyeball quantities well, and very few people bother to properly measure their fats.
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Really...
    Holy mother of
    That's all I've got...
    I could not have imagined that myself.
    Yep. A BP coffee with 400 calories worth of butter and oil in it is great if it is replacing the 600 calorie breakfast you would have had otherwise. If the two are added together, not so much. Also, most people are going to a desk job, not carrying heavy packs in the freezing mountain air like the Sherpas, so they really don't need all those calories.

    I agree with Owly that oils and fats are one of the easiest places to fail to measure well. They just slither in so easily.

  5. #45
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Wouldn't you kind of notice everytime you go to do the weekly shop and clear the shelves of butter and coconut oil?
    LOL, I would think.

    I mean. I consciously add fat to up my calories a bit.
    I have volume issues, and I will often under eat (I eat one meal a day)...
    So a pound of butter lasts!
    And that's between both myself and my husband.

    When I dip from my bacon fat, tallow, or coconut oil jar I use a measuring spoon as well.
    I just didn't realize people would add multiple Tbs of fat to every serving of food at multiple meals throughout the day.

    And really... if people ARE piling that much on... they should know it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #46
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    This is what was wrong with the carb refeed craze from last summer. You were supposed to have a couple carb-ups a week, but almost no fat on those days. That's hard to do when fat is a normal, huge part of your diet.
    Yes that is the double whammy effect of carbs and fat together in large quantities. FWIW, I'm not even really sure that I buy the rationale behind regular carb re-feeds. The body can produce plenty of glycogen on its own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Wouldn't you kind of notice everytime you go to do the weekly shop and clear the shelves of butter and coconut oil?
    Not if you buy Nutiva on line by the case and raw butter from Organic Pastures. You just wonder who stole the other half of a case when it's gone so soon.

  7. #47
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Wouldn't you kind of notice everytime you go to do the weekly shop and clear the shelves of butter and coconut oil?
    Not an issue I've ever had personally--I can only take so much fat in a meal before it tastes sort of gross.

    But people may realize that they're using a lot of butter without really understanding the calories they're taking in, or they may have bought totally into the idea that fat can never make you fat and think that it's perfectly okay. In those cases, they might be very aware that they are buying a lot of fats without grasping the consequences.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  8. #48
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    And really... if people ARE piling that much on... they should know it!
    Being aware of your intake, calories and macros, is very useful. I mean how can you know where to fix something wrong with your car if you don't look under the hood? There are lots of reasons to track in addition to trying to lose weight. You, for instance are trying to keep from losing too fast due to your medical issues. Some people are trying to add muscle mass to their frame. Some people want to track specific micronutrients to correct a deficiency. Useful information to have.

  9. #49
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Little FYI... My ability to lick a small spoon of Nutiva Coconut Manna may be the only thing between my husband and a very sharp, heavy, 8" chefs knife if he so much as DARES to tease me with chocolate when the next TOM rolls around.

    Fat, used apropriately, is a good thing.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-28-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  10. #50
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Not an issue I've ever had personally--I can only take so much fat in a meal before it tastes sort of gross.

    But people may realize that they're using a lot of butter without really understanding the calories they're taking in, or they may have bought totally into the idea that fat can never make you fat and think that it's perfectly okay. In those cases, they might be very aware that they are buying a lot of fats without grasping the consequences.
    I am finding this to be true also now that I am at a heathy weight. When I was overweight however, I could really pack away the fat. I wonder why this is. It's like my fat "ew ick" off switch was broken but now is working right again. Hmmm.

    This whole idea that fat can never make you fat is just as silly as the CW that says fat always makes you fat. Yes, fat has been unfairly demonized as the cause of heart disease, etc. so we should not fear it. Doesn't mean we need the whole pound of bacon for breakfast either.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-28-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •