Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 47

Paleobird Guest
    Daydreamer, your hormonal situation is beyond the scope of my medical expertise. What I see in both of those pictures however is a slim (and very handsome) young man. I think you are making a bigger issue out of your "bloating" than is the reality. As far as your weight goes, I've seen your photos. You are still very slender and in no danger of getting fat.

So stop worrying and EAT! S'il te plait, mange! Beaucoup! Your body needs fuel in order to heal.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think olive oil is monounsaturated mostly.

I looked at Mark's definitive guide to oils and it looks to me that healthy O6 fatty acid sources are walnut and avocado oil. Otherwise, I think since most oils and fats are a combo of different types, you can avoid specifically consuming O6 oils and get enough just from other oils and meats. I was trying to figure this out because I think I can get my boyfriend to read Maffetone's book and his page on fats is really confusing. He says you need O6 and O3 fats and lists corn, soy, canola etc as sources of O6. Then in his case studies he tells people to not eat any of the O6 fats on his list. So the confusion was that these fats he tells people in real life not to consume are on his list of good sources of essential O6. I just don't want my boyfriend making me eat canola oil. I think if I let him borrow the book, I'll have to insert my notes in there.

Dinner was great tonight. Zucchini noodles with a "sauce" of bacon, mushrooms, zucchini chunks and basil pesto. So tasty!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I need some help here!! I have multiple triggers for IBS, including nuts and nut products, fodmaps in all but small and infrequent amounts - including coconut products, and all dairy. I'm away from home at present, and have realised just what a 'low fat' society really means! I've been unable to maintain ketosis for the last week because any fat I can take in is linked to larger amounts of protein. Right now I'm surrendering the idea of eating clean and low-carb until I get home on Sunday night, and going for the clean aspect. If I wanted to take in foods fried in canola oil I could probably get the fat content up, but I'd rather stay away from them.

My cry for help isn't about my current situation - that's just been the catalyst (and I won't be back online until Monday, anyway), but can you please offer me some suggestions about what I can eat to get my fat levels up, independent of my protein intake, without triggering an IBS flare. The fat sources that are closed to me, or can only be used in very small amounts include butter, cream, avodado, coconut cream, cheese, and nuts.

At home I tend to cook food in coconut oil, and also add oils like olive and avocado to foods. I've not been able to master the art of eating spoonfuls of coconut oil (it tends to make me gag), but can take in a reasonable amount when it's combined with chocolate. I'd love to hear about your special recipes to deliver fat to your diet . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Robyn is offline Member
    I've loved reading this thread. Thanks so much Paleobird for starting it and for your wonderfully balanced perspective. I'm reading the Phinney and Volek book and really enjoying the deeper focus on the science of low carb.

I've been eating this way (Primal) for over a year, with good results. I didn't have any major health issues I needed to address when I started. I mainly wanted to lean out. So far so good. Along the way I got rid of the edema in my lower legs and built some muscle. I'm a 48 yo woman, 5'5", 120 lbs

I've experienced ketosis a few days here and there. I've never stayed in it more than a day from what I can tell and am wondering if what's going on for me now (outrageous afternoon carb cravings and low energy) is that dreaded place. The place that's neither here nor there with regard to fat adaption. Ugh.

Sooo, my question... I don't want to lose weight and don't have a medical condition that would benefit from a ketogenic diet. But I like that mental sharpness I've felt a few times with ketosis and would LOVE to feel the calmness and deep sleep that others have also experienced. Is there any reason why it would be ILL-advised for me to try this? I've been to potato land and it doesn't work that well for me.

Thanks, I appreciate anyone and everyone's feedback.
    I do whatever my microbiome tells me.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Jac, if you are worried about all this, try getting a pork hock or a shoulder roast - any one with a massive amounts of fat on it, and slow roast it after creating the crackling. I usually make the crackling for 40 or so min in 450-485 degree oven, then reduce it to 360, double foil it. If you can get a hold of the pork belly cut (basically what goes into making bacon) you can do the same, and won't have much meat, mostly baked fat). You will avoid all the chemicals in pork rinds and bacon, and have a load of fat which you seem to be Okay with. Another fatty cut of pork are shoulder chops, I just slow cook them and then mix with vegetables. Ribs are also super-fatty. I also find that drippings from the dry roasted chicken are edible by themselves, if you dry roast the chicken with lots of salt on skin. I like it more than coconut oil....

If you are into experimenting big time, Russian dish called cholodetz is basically super-cheap super-concentrated bone and fat broth made with pig's feet, legs and hocks which makes a huge batch of 'jellied' fatty base with meat thrown in. Last time I was on the Anabolic Diet I made it, I froze it right after setting, and would cut a piece a day, since other people wouldn't eat it.

Liver sausage is commercial, but it is huge amount of fat.

@Robyn: the only way I defeat the afternoon slam is by noting the time it happens and making sure I do something active for a few minutes during that time, stretch or walking the stairs up or down. I even adjusted my work schedule so I leave work at 2:30 rather than at 3 pm, so I will get outside and 'ride it out' on a bus. That 2 to 3 pm is sucker. I also find that sea-weed helps, I think due to salt. Bone broth was the same way for me (though I prefer crunchy seaweed in the summer).
    Last edited by Leida; 09-07-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    My cry for help isn't about my current situation - that's just been the catalyst (and I won't be back online until Monday, anyway), but can you please offer me some suggestions about what I can eat to get my fat levels up, independent of my protein intake, without triggering an IBS flare. The fat sources that are closed to me, or can only be used in very small amounts include butter, cream, avodado, coconut cream, cheese, and nuts.

At home I tend to cook food in coconut oil, and also add oils like olive and avocado to foods. I've not been able to master the art of eating spoonfuls of coconut oil (it tends to make me gag), but can take in a reasonable amount when it's combined with chocolate. I'd love to hear about your special recipes to deliver fat to your diet . . .

You could try Paleobird's liver pate. I have all the ingredients ready to make a big batch of liver pate tonight using bone marrow fat. I've been enjoying pesto this week. Pesto on salmon, pesto and bacon on pasta (zucchini noodles for me), pesto in a salad made of tomatoes, avocado and roast beef. I've made other things with pesto that involve cheese, so those would be out for you. By the way, I made basil pesto with olive oil and parmesan like the traditional way, but I also made some without cheese and some where half the basil was replaced with spearmint. I also made some using walnut oil instead of olive.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    So every once in a great while I'll track my food on Fit Day just to kind of see where I am. Yesterday's food? 79.6% of my calories came from fat! Yay for discovering heavy cream and berries for dessert, I guess. Protein was a little down from where I need to be, so I'll bump that up today.

I was, like, giggling looking at the pie chart of where my calories came from. Only 40g of carbs, even though I was making a pretty big effort to eat more veggies than normal. That's kind of low, but I worked out twice and felt fantastic all day long, so no worries.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I've just put cream on the shopping list to finally make the pate, and decided to live dangerously and get non-organic, non-raw brie, because I really want to melt brie with sundried tomatoes in oil (on the list too, never had them before), garlic and thyme and dip some celery sticks into that for a lazy meal, instead of being tempted by dehydrated sweet potato chips if I make salsa.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, Jac, I second what Leida said about any fatty meat. And the pate suggestion by SB. It can be made with pure ghee or tallow or lard if the milk solids are a problem for you. And pesto goes on or in just about everything.

Hello Robyn with a Y from Robin with an I. No reason at all why you shouldn't give it a go. Potato land is not working for you. Try something else.

Mr Anthony, don't you just love seeing that little pie chart with the "recommended" macros of 50% carbs next to yours with the majority fat? I've been running about 75% fat/20%pro/5%carb.

Leida, yes sun dried tomatoes in oil are awesome in many dishes. Are those a Fodmap, Jac?

Robyn is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leida and Paleobird, thanks for your feedback.

I should have mentioned earlier that I started to see some possible blood sugar control issues (HbA1c at 5.8) after 10 months averaging 90g of carbs a day. I'd never had the HbA1c test before May so have no basis of comparison. I bought a blood sugar meter and began testing per Chris Kresser's protocol. My highs were sometimes 180 and I had some very low lows (40) so it seemed my body was overreacting. My trainer felt that I was stressing my body with too low carbs so I pushed them up to the 150 range and felt a bit better, but was still experiencing poor sleep and was really sluggish the first few hours of the day. Adrenal issues? Menopause? My fantastic body worker/nutritionist said she has seen some blood sugar control problems with people transitioning to paleo and not to worry. Note the foods that caused the most severe reactions but not to stress about it, it'll work itself out.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread with blood glucose stuff. More so I thought I might be somehow keeping myself in the zone of misery and just needed to go a bit lower. I'll finish the Phinney and Volek book and think about it some more.

(Was born Robin with an i but in third grade when we were learning cursive handwriting I had trouble writing my own name. Sad face. Something about the transition from b to i to n. I knew that some people spelled it Robyn with a y, so changed my name.)
    I do whatever my microbiome tells me.

Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast