Page 43 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 43

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I have heard about it when I did CKD, but in the end, after initial fat loss, the weight just came back and I started gaining once the body adapted to the higher fat intake/lower carbs, and the water balance did its thing (to be fair I also regained weight on the source yogurt, apples and oatmeal CW). I have never tried the completely ketonic diet before though, because it took me all these years to come to terms with the idea that I will not eat fruit. I still have a hard time with the concept, but at least it is not an outright rejection of the concept.

EDIT: I guess, when you go on a restricted diet, it is a good idea to concentrate on the things you can have vs the things you can't have. However, I am having trouble with finding something really special to be excited about on the primal per se, as opposite to anything else. Something like "You have to drop fruit, but you can have WOW!" Lots of people salivate about butter or bacon, and I am like: uhm, yeah... I always had salmon, cheese and eggs in my diet. (Shrug) I am a big girl.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-05-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Focus on one thing at a time. Focus on adaptation first. Even if you have to overeat to get through it. I think while your body is so confused you get a little grace period on the calories anyway. All those ketones are energy going down the toilet.

And so what? You've always had salmon, cheese and eggs. Do you get the gooey triple cream goat brie that's almost liquid? Have you ever fried up salmon skin all crispy and put that on a salad? Did you ever add extra yolks to your omelet? The kefir cheese is really good and you could put that on your salmon skin with an egg yolk, a chunk of avocado, a pat of butter and wrap it in bacon.

You have to do SOMETHING different or else you'll always get all the same results and you'll live in obsessive compulsive food madness the rest of your life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 175lbs, press 70lbs and deadlift 180lbs

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    We have found it liberating to finally eat foods frequently that we thought were taboo. Red meat: bring it on!! Omlettes or scrambled eggs or quiche every morning if we want. Bacon a couple times a week. Heavy cream in our coffee. It's wonderful to ditch the whole Low Fat paradigm. I am just this week attempting to track my calories and macros after eight months of PB. SparkPeople App says I need to eat 1200-1500 calories a day to lose two pounds a week. From
    What I can see so far I have been eating 1700-2100 per day and still losing a pound or two a week. more on the low side lately, which is why I am exploring the Eat Moar Fat concept. Having trouble getting the fat up without going too far over on calories. My protein needs to go down a bit. Carbs have been in the OK range. It's tough since protein is generally the centerpiece of our meals and it is so easy to end up with fat and protein roughly equal.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, dropping the protein is tricky! I don't succeed every day.

Now 100% baking chocolate is tasting good. It has 4g of carb per serving, but no sugar. Win!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Picaro is offline Member
    Fruit is not instantly taboo, either. Half a large grapefruit is 5-7 g carbs. Half a cup of most berries is about the same. I'll have some fruit now and then, particularly since the Red Cross said if I let my iron drop much more they wont let me donate.
    That put my head in a spin because the amount of iron rich food I eat is high, but then I found out that vitamin C is a co-factor in iron absorbtion. So I try to get a bit of it.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I take a sublingual C and zinc supplement, but probably would be OK without. We split a grapefruit about 5 days a week. I have heard that the enzymes in grapefruit are very good for emulsifying fat. Besides I like them! Now and then we split a banana and I always have apples and berries on hand although we don't eat them frequently.

heatherdarbs Guest

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting thread this.

My personal experience is that you need to fast (or restrict calories) and eat more fat to keep full for the fasting times.

That and exercising hard has helped me lose around 25% of my body weight and achieve pretty good fat levels.

I think the Science makes things too complicated sometimes. What we are trying to achieve is often simple if you keep it simple.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I should have added that my macro levels are 70/15/15 which seem to work well for me (70% being the Fat level)

Loretta is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PaleoBird,

How has the ketogenic diet helped with your seizures? I am using a ketogenic diet for my migraines. They have lessened in numbers and severity. I am looking forward to no more!

Funny thing about the ketogenic diet for me is that I have always loved fats. One reason I liked toast as a child was because of the butter and use to get yelled at for using too much. Bacon, chicken skin, beef fat, olives....Yummy! Makes it so easy but weird to add fats in after so many years of avoiding.

Page 43 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast