Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 40

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just came off a fast also. I thought I would screen shot this, as I will probably never see this again.

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ennaejay View Post
    Just chipping in to say Thanks, paleobird. Been following this for a couple of days and this thread is like the missing link in my head. It's making more sense now.. super cool. I appreciate your expertise & all the great links that ppl have added along the way. You rock my face off! I added more fat to my break-fast and found I wasn't "munchy" after my meal, super cool. I hope more folks chime in..
    Welcome. Glad it could help. I don't think I've ever rocked anyone's face off before. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Dear posters of this thread.
    I want to thank all of you for making me want to try real Low Carb/High Fat Paleo.

I've never felt so good about food in my life, it's absolutely amazing.
    I began with a fast, when I introduced some "bulletproof" coffee/green tea with Coconut Oil, that lasted around 38 hours, and then began to eat something like 60 to 65 % Fats, 30 % Proteins, and 5 to 10% Carbs.
    Went for many walks and felt absolutely amazing, peaceful...

Even if I'm glycogen depleted, I look much better, I feel much less inflamed, less bloated, my gut seems to be happy and I feel good about food.

Hope I won't have adverse effects of being in ketosis for too long since I'm just a young 19 yo man who needs to re-grow muscles after a severe hypogonadism, but I feel very very good doing that...

Just a question, even if one glass of Kombucha is around 14 kcal, like 4 grams of carbs, is it possible to feel slightly "strange" after drinking it ? Like a short carb high... It's been quite often now.
    Yes it is a wonderfully serene feeling. Just make sure you eat enough. We don't want you getting too skinny again. You were looking pretty hot in the latest photos, BTW. I don't know about the kombucha. Some brews have a trace amount of alcohol in them. You may be reacting to that.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Yal I dont know that I do, or just shrug it off as something else.

After this fast would be a good time to experiment, huh? Just add in one carby thing at a time? I realize most things are multi-taskers, but I could add back in my yogurt & see what happens, etc. Trouble is, I don't like just yogurt, it needs a banana or blueberries or nut butter or something, and I usually alternate those things each day, thus the trouble of narrowing it down. So maybe I should make a conscious effort to pay attention to it and limit those things introduced back in?
    You are your own N=1. Experiment and report back.

I just came off a fast also. I thought I would screen shot this, as I will probably never see this again.
    That's enough to give a cardiologist a heart attack!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Dear posters of this thread.
    I want to thank all of you for making me want to try real Low Carb/High Fat Paleo.

I've never felt so good about food in my life, it's absolutely amazing.
    I began with a fast, when I introduced some "bulletproof" coffee/green tea with Coconut Oil, that lasted around 38 hours, and then began to eat something like 60 to 65 % Fats, 30 % Proteins, and 5 to 10% Carbs.
    Went for many walks and felt absolutely amazing, peaceful...
    Yay, Daydreamer!

LOL. That is awesome.

And thanks sbhikes and other peeps for all the Maffetone info. Very interesting. Yet more to add to my long reading list ...
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    The Big Book Of Endurance by Phil Maffetone is the up to date one, available on the Amazon website

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am not doing well at all. I was getting progressively more hungry and feeling disoriented. I ended up in a forced fast on Sunday because the cleaners were in, and I couldn't go cook lunch till about 1 pm. I was laying the gravel pad, and had to stop all the time and just stand and stare for minutes. Then, yesterday, I couldn't stop eating, and eating, and eating. I even skipped the gym, and worked in the yard, doing light stuff like sawing off the brunches and moving bulbs, and mowing, but the moment I hit the house, I wanted to eat. I was afraid to eat pork, because it will have too much protein, and still ate it. In the end I ate 1 apple and a cup of blueberries and stopped the endless eating spree. I didn't even want anything sweet, just food. Maybe it's the dairy that messes me up. I was adding coconut milk to my home-made quark, to bust up fats. I tried cheese and creamed coconut. I wanted food instead. I made a roast overnight, but now I don't know if I can have that for supper, because I had quark and coconut milk for breakfast & plan on 3 eggs & coconut butter for lunch. I can eat coconut oil by the spoon & coconut milk, but I don't feel satiated at all, like other people here. I even ate drippings and bacon. I feel like I mount calories really high but I don't feel good & full or satisfied with my food. What's wrong with me? That always puzzles me. Other people feel full, and I have like a pit in my stomach. Does anyone else had the same experience and how you overcome it? I really want to see it through and re-educate myself. I understand that giving up all the time is not going to cut it, so I am looking for successful solutions. Unfortunately, not having fruit in the house is out of the question. It's like the cravings are not really a problem even. The best I can describe it is unsatisfaction? Meaning, I eat incorrectly?
    Last edited by Leida; 09-05-2012 at 06:20 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can find lots of his info free on his website. Here's his two-week test. He talks a little about carb intolerance here.
    Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test
    Thanks for the link, sbhikes! Sent this to my brother. This is a good quick summary and maybe a good way to get people to try low- carb and get them interested in this way of eating!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I bought the Big Book of Health and Fitness. It's also listed as "up to date" according to Maffetone. Lots of typos, but I suppose you're never going to get a real publisher to put out a book with such contrariness and so little diet book tone of voice.

Leida, you sound like you are having carb withdrawl. My own experience was the first week I was eating around 2000 calories and was constantly hungry. I felt weak in the knees and tired. The second week I was able to do more days around 1500 and a few around 2000 calories. I was still always hungry and feeling weak in the knees. Middle-end of the second week I didn't feel weak in the knees anymore and felt a lot more energy. By the third week (this one) I was much less hungry, it was much easier to stay within 1500 calories, I felt clear-headed, vibrant, alive, full of energy, been doing all kinds of exercise because I feel so good. I went for a hike this weekend without breakfast and ate a small breakfast on the trail at lunchtime. I think I'm actually starting to lose weight once again. I probably jinxed it by saying that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

So, sbhikes, did you just keep eating fat predominantly and did not fool with carbs? Were you controlling protein?

obsessed is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am not doing well at all. I was getting progressively more hungry and feeling disoriented. I ended up in a forced fast on Sunday because the cleaners were in, and I couldn't go cook lunch till about 1 pm. I was laying the gravel pad, and had to stop all the time and just stand and stare for minutes. Then, yesterday, I couldn't stop eating, and eating, and eating. I even skipped the gym, and worked in the yard, doing light stuff like sawing off the brunches and moving bulbs, and mowing, but the moment I hit the house, I wanted to eat. I was afraid to eat pork, because it will have too much protein, and still ate it. In the end I ate 1 apple and a cup of blueberries and stopped the endless eating spree. I didn't even want anything sweet, just food. Maybe it's the dairy that messes me up. I was adding coconut milk to my home-made quark, to bust up fats. I tried cheese and creamed coconut. I wanted food instead. I made a roast overnight, but now I don't know if I can have that for supper, because I had quark and coconut milk for breakfast & plan on 3 eggs & coconut butter for lunch. I can eat coconut oil by the spoon & coconut milk, but I don't feel satiated at all, like other people here. I even ate drippings and bacon. I feel like I mount calories really high but I don't feel good & full or satisfied with my food. What's wrong with me? That always puzzles me. Other people feel full, and I have like a pit in my stomach. Does anyone else had the same experience and how you overcome it? I really want to see it through and re-educate myself. I understand that giving up all the time is not going to cut it, so I am looking for successful solutions. Unfortunately, not having fruit in the house is out of the question. It's like the cravings are not really a problem even. The best I can describe it is unsatisfaction? Meaning, I eat incorrectly?
    I had this feeling when I first started PB about a month ago. It started in the second week and lasted about 1.5-2 weeks. It really freaked me out and I made a post entitled "Hungry and scared". I had to really add fat. Like I drank a cup of heavy whipping cream (maybe it was like 2) with a scoop of protien powder. It has gone away as I am not as freaked out. I think it was a severe carb withdrawl.

Ye gods, I hope I don't have to do that. I will try eating more coconut oil. If I have to drink cream, I might as well just give up now. But I really miss food.

Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast