Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 39

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    And I would add that when Maffetone uses the words "fat-burning zone" he doesn't necessarily mean it the same way that CW tends to make it sound, like some magic zone of weight loss. It's not so much "this is the range where you will lose the most weight" as "this is the range that supports the metabolic pathways that use body fat for limitless energy rather than the ones that use liver and muscle glycogen, which are more limited."

Since low carb and ketosis are means to turn on and support the metabolic pathways that use body fat for energy rather than liver and muscle glycogen, I am using the Maffetone method to further support that effort.

Maffetone also discusses carbohydrates a lot. He sees a lot of people who are carbohydrate intolerant. Every person needs to find the level of carbohydrates that are okay for them. For some people it may be very low. I believe it is rather low for me.

The Maffetone method gives me hope that I can be as physically active as I want to be, even make improvements and take on new activities that I've only ever failed at before, and at the same time, pursue a level of carb intake that is supportive to my best health AND my best performance.

It's such a subtle concept to try to express. I hope I've done so here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I am going to have to look into Maffetone more. His concept of carb tolerance is interesting, and I definitely think that might explain why some of us feel so much better at a higher carb intake while others are better on less. I've never had the issues he describes as carb intolerance symptoms, but reading that helped me understand the issues other people might be facing. I might see if the library has his book.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can find lots of his info free on his website. Here's his two-week test. He talks a little about carb intolerance here.
    Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Every person needs to find the level of carbohydrates that are okay for them. For some people it may be very low. I believe it is rather low for me.
    I have yet to figure it out for myself. I am usually in a range of like 30 - 75 net. So I never really know how much time it takes to feel the affects. A day, a week? etc. I guess I need to aim at a week or more at the same number (or close) and then use a new number a different week? Or maybe a month?

Seems like when I think I have narrowed something down, I realize that Oh.. it could have also been because of this or this. ugggh

I am such a work in progress.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

You can find lots of his info free on his website. Here's his two-week test. He talks a little about carb intolerance here.
    Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test
    Hmm I posted too soon. This may have my answer. Thanks!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that's the bit I read about the carb intolerance, which is what made me curious since I don't get those symptoms.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    And I would add that when Maffetone uses the words "fat-burning zone" he doesn't necessarily mean it the same way that CW tends to make it sound, like some magic zone of weight loss. It's not so much "this is the range where you will lose the most weight" as "this is the range that supports the metabolic pathways that use body fat for limitless energy rather than the ones that use liver and muscle glycogen, which are more limited."

Since low carb and ketosis are means to turn on and support the metabolic pathways that use body fat for energy rather than liver and muscle glycogen, I am using the Maffetone method to further support that effort.

Maffetone also discusses carbohydrates a lot. He sees a lot of people who are carbohydrate intolerant. Every person needs to find the level of carbohydrates that are okay for them. For some people it may be very low. I believe it is rather low for me.
    Yes the carbs/ketosis and low level exercise to burn fat rather than glycogen do go hand in hand. Speaking of which, I'm going to get out for a walk today. Really I am.

ennaejay is offline Member
    Just chipping in to say Thanks, paleobird. Been following this for a couple of days and this thread is like the missing link in my head. It's making more sense now.. super cool. I appreciate your expertise & all the great links that ppl have added along the way. You rock my face off! I added more fat to my break-fast and found I wasn't "munchy" after my meal, super cool. I hope more folks chime in..

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Yes, that's the bit I read about the carb intolerance, which is what made me curious since I don't get those symptoms.
    Yal I dont know that I do, or just shrug it off as something else.

After this fast would be a good time to experiment, huh? Just add in one carby thing at a time? I realize most things are multi-taskers, but I could add back in my yogurt & see what happens, etc. Trouble is, I don't like just yogurt, it needs a banana or blueberries or nut butter or something, and I usually alternate those things each day, thus the trouble of narrowing it down. So maybe I should make a conscious effort to pay attention to it and limit those things introduced back in?

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dear posters of this thread.
    I want to thank all of you for making me want to try real Low Carb/High Fat Paleo.

I've never felt so good about food in my life, it's absolutely amazing.
    I began with a fast, when I introduced some "bulletproof" coffee/green tea with Coconut Oil, that lasted around 38 hours, and then began to eat something like 60 to 65 % Fats, 30 % Proteins, and 5 to 10% Carbs.
    Went for many walks and felt absolutely amazing, peaceful...

Even if I'm glycogen depleted, I look much better, I feel much less inflamed, less bloated, my gut seems to be happy and I feel good about food.

Hope I won't have adverse effects of being in ketosis for too long since I'm just a young 19 yo man who needs to re-grow muscles after a severe hypogonadism, but I feel very very good doing that...

Just a question, even if one glass of Kombucha is around 14 kcal, like 4 grams of carbs, is it possible to feel slightly "strange" after drinking it ? Like a short carb high... It's been quite often now.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast