Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 36 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    So what's the current thinking on daily protein allowance for women?

I know what seems right for me, but I'm a six-foot male.

My friend, Lucy, was asking me how much I thought she needed and I was a bit stumped. She's an older lady, if it makes any difference.
    For what it's worth - My age=60, gender=F, 5'1" (155cm), CW 138 (63kg) - and I'm trying for <1g/kg body weight

It ain't easy. One half pound hamburger (90% lean, which is what my husband likes) is those 63g.

Phinney and Volek recommend .6-1.0g/pound lean body mass, with where you go in that range to be determined empirically by each individual based on unique metabolic needs and behaviors.

One problem I have with that approach is knowing what my LBM is today. Instead, I'm taking a goal weight and goal body comp target, and deriving my intended LBM. In my case, I'll take a goal weight of 120, LBM of 100 ... and that gives me a range of 60-100 g protein/day under Phinney and Volek's range.

Empirically, I find less than 60 hard and more than 105 makes no difference. But that's me. Her mileage will vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Phinney and Volek recommend .6-1.0g/pound lean body mass, with where you go in that range to be determined empirically by each individual based on unique metabolic needs and behaviors.
    Yeah, I don't know what her lean bodymass would be. But she is quite short.

She's Ethiopian, and quite a bit older than you.

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, it seems like every expert out there has got a formula. I've been trying to find a synthesis of all of them that works for me.

Mark says .7-1 g protein per lb LBM (but he's aiming for "fat-adapted" not really ketosis)

Phinney and Volek say .6-1 g per lb LBM (IIRC they only recommend the high end for highly athletic people)

Dr. Jan Kwasniewski says Ideal Weight in kilos +/- 10% =# of grams of protein.

I think in all of these, the rub is determining what really is your LBM or "Ideal" weight.

If I weigh 150 and have about 20%body fat, that makes my LBM 120
    So by Mark's formula using the low end of the range I get 84 grams of protein.
    By Phinny/Volek I get 72 (again figuring at the low end of the range)
    By Dr. JK's formula of height in cm-100 my ideal weight is 78kg so my protein would be between 70 and 86
    If I figure Dr. JK's formula by what *I* think is my ideal weight 145lbs=67kg, protein is between 60 and 74

So. I have boiled all this down to something that works IRL for me and come up with a top end of 75g/day.
    I keep carbs sub 50 and Have been doing that pretty easily, usually hitting around 30.

With 75x4=300 calories of protein
    Plus 50x4=200 calories of carbs
    I have about 1000 calories a day of fat 1000/9 = 111 grams
    For a total of 1500 calories a day

This is do-able. I'm not hungry and I feel great. If I wanted to go for weight loss, I could push it down to 1200/day but that is not really my priority right now. Neurological health is.

Ya'all are making me excited for VLC again. Something to come back to when I'm not incubating.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, it seems like every expert out there has got a formula. I've been trying to find a synthesis of all of them that works for me.
    Truth to tell, I'm not even sure about her height:

"Lucy's" body height and relative leg le... [Z Morphol Anthropol. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

She's Ethiopian, and quite a bit older than you.
    Quite a bit older.
    Durp.

Paleobird Guest
    Oh, cute, Lewis. Your elderly Ethiopian friend, Lucy

Just in case no one asked yet, does MOAR stand for something? I thought it was a spelling mistake (no big deal), but others in this thread are repeating it, so now I am wondering....
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Just in case no one asked yet, does MOAR stand for something? I thought it was a spelling mistake (no big deal), but others in this thread are repeating it, so now I am wondering....
    It's an internet meme that kind of puts emphasis on the word. Some people say it is a combo of "more" and "roar"

When I first started out it was like a chant to a drum circle beat around here "Eat more fat!, Eat more fat!" and then the safe starch thing happened and things kind of went to the opposite extreme for a while. It's interesting to watch trends like that over time.

Shop Now
    Re protein for females: I think everyone can use the various plans to give them a range to explore. But each of us must explore what works best for our peculiar bodies and personalities.

That's true, by the way, for carbs, too - I really need to stay below 40g/day. And I find that going for zero carb and not worrying about a couple of onesies and twosies during the day works well.

And I wondered at the time about the name Lucy and that particular geographic origin - but there are enough females out there needing some sort of entry point I looked past it. Besides, she ain't that much shorter than me. And I wear my age well.