Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 34

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    From my experience with fasting, the first 24 hours are the hard ones and the second day is a breeze, on top of the world euphoric even. I think that first day is when the metabolic alarm bells are ringing, OMG, there's no glucose what are we going to do OMG, OMG! The second day the body says, Oh, waddaya know, we have this fat here we could be burning, let's see if we remember how to do that. Ooooh, fat is yummy. Happy body.

So I think you would have to stay at it for another day to see the ketone readings go up.
    Yes, but why would they go down?? I'm in no way ready to try a 2 day fast, and have been eating to my reduced appetite. I'm wondering whether eating less is stopping the ketosis process and if I need to eat to a schedule for a while.

Sorry - I'm using this forum to try to clarify things. I'm one of those people who don't know what I think until I write it down, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah the bone broth is miracle food. I have been having a cup everyday first thing in the morning, and sometimes another cup after work instead of wine.

I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months. I only partially fast because I have bone broth and coffee with a large amount of heavy cream in the morning before my first meal.

I made 2 crock pots this week. (Sorry if I am repeating that here) I ground up the bone also, so it looks like... well I won't say, but it tastes very yummy and I can't BEEELLIEEEVE how filling it is! I was researching today if I could use it during a fast. Ok a "modified" fast :P I was glad to see ppl use it for that also.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Lewis, thanks very much for the Eades thread. Very useful and interesting information.

Jac, what do you use to measure serum ketones? I did a search online but came up with mostly ketostix and medical tests for ketoacidosis in diabetics. Would appreciate any info you want to give.

PB, I would love to weigh 130 or less and look good! I was last at 120-130 in my early 20's and looked healthy - that was before all my misadventures with vegetarianism and heavy dieting.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Got this off the website mentioned above concerning eating low carb/high fat. Thought there could be others who needed a recipe. Note - this is a restaurant sized recipe - so 1/2 or 1/4 the measures. I'm making a couple roasted chickens this week, so I will have some of this simmering on the stove by the end of the week!

Bone Broth

2 oz roasted garlic (weight)
    10 oz roasted red onions (weight)
    4.5 gallons water (volume)
    22 oz tomato paste (weight)
    4 oz cilantro with stems
    2 pounds chicken back bones (weight)
    16 oz tomato pulp (weight)*
    6 oz salt (weight) I would use Celtic Sea Salt or other such salt here
    1 oz black pepper (weight)
    1 oz olive oil (volume)

Roast onions and garlic in olive oil for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

Add all ingredients to water, chicken and tomato paste.

Let simmer over medium fire until cooked.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Yes, but why would they go down?? I'm in no way ready to try a 2 day fast, and have been eating to my reduced appetite. I'm wondering whether eating less is stopping the ketosis process and if I need to eat to a schedule for a while.
    In your case I think yes, a schedule might keep things on a more even keel. If you are highly insulin resistant, your body has forgotten how to mobilize the ketones very well so fasting is just throwing everything into a tizzy panic mode but not really producing results. There was a link upthread to an interview with Dr. Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living who counseled against fasting. In a case like yours, I think this is true. For someone with a more healthy metabolism, fasting can be great.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    In your case I think yes, a schedule might keep things on a more even keel. If you are highly insulin resistant, your body has forgotten how to mobilize the ketones very well so fasting is just throwing everything into a tizzy panic mode but not really producing results. There was a link upthread to an interview with Dr. Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living who counseled against fasting. In a case like yours, I think this is true. For someone with a more healthy metabolism, fasting can be great.
    Uh-huh, that's what I've been thinking today. Eating more might stall the weight loss (what's new there??), but if I can get into deep ketosis first, then try eating to appetite again.

It's weird, needing to eat more than I want. All my life I've been trying (and failing) to eat less .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Uh-huh, that's what I've been thinking today. Eating more might stall the weight loss (what's new there??), but if I can get into deep ketosis first, then try eating to appetite again.

It's weird, needing to eat more than I want. All my life I've been trying (and failing) to eat less .
    It's a two step process. Get into fat burning mode first. THEN cut back the calories. This doesn't mean stuff yourself though. Just eat Something at regular intervals. For you with all your medical challenges, the getting into fat burning mode part may be more of a struggle and take longer than it would for others.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Lewis, thanks very much for the Eades thread. Very useful and interesting information.

Jac, what do you use to measure serum ketones? I did a search online but came up with mostly ketostix and medical tests for ketoacidosis in diabetics. Would appreciate any info you want to give.

PB, I would love to weigh 130 or less and look good! I was last at 120-130 in my early 20's and looked healthy - that was before all my misadventures with vegetarianism and heavy dieting.
    There are home self-use blood monitors for diabetic people to measure ketones. That's what Jac said she was using on another thread.
    I think there are a lot of people here who have dabbled or gotten lost in veggie-land for some period of their lives. For me it was a college phase because my roommate was vegetarian and raved about it. Ah, the follies of youth.

jakeb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Penady View Post
    Yeah, I overdid it with the bacon at first. Unlimited bacon, effortless weight loss? Sign me up. I gained five pounds before my ability to reason kicked back in. I don't strictly count calories, but I aim for a caloric deficit. It's easier for me to restrict calories following this WOE, because I really do feel more satisfied, my energy levels are fantastic, and I'm not ready to gnaw off an arm three hours after finishing a meal. I'm down eight pounds in the last month and feel like I have a little momentum going.
    Bacon, my chocolate-heroin equivalent methadone.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by noodletoy
    Doncha just love those safe starches?
    Yep, 'safe starches' are my friend.
    i was being facetious. 1/2 cup of cooked white rice is about 22 net carbs. i'm working right now to stay under 20. that means no more grains of any sort. i am down another 1/2 pound today. losing 2 pounds in just a few days is lightning fast for me. i feel almost giddy about it, lol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast