Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1036

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 33

  1. #321
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,161
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you?

    However, while I guess there's little harm in having a little fruit as you adapt, and it's certainly better than falling and breaking your nose or something, have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:



    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
    This is a great article... read it awhile ago and just re-read it. Thanks for posting it. I supplemented both magnesium and potassium today even before reading it because I walked ten miles and don't want to get cramps tonight. I've been careful about salting my food and drinking enough water which is always challenging for me (the water part).

  2. #322
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,291
    avocado, miso soup or bone broth with a bit of salt will help balance your electrolytes also. all too often, people reach for sugar instead of thinking it might be something else. either way, the sugar is only a very short-term fix and will not get you down the road to ketosis.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  3. #323
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,161
    I just made bone broth...so will be drinking some this evening with salt. I agree with noodletoy... reach for salt and drink more water instead of sugar for dizziness.

  4. #324
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,702
    Yeah the bone broth is miracle food. I have been having a cup everyday first thing in the morning, and sometimes another cup after work instead of wine.

    I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months. I only partially fast because I have bone broth and coffee with a large amount of heavy cream in the morning before my first meal. Today my first real meal was after 4.5 miles of hiking up a steep mountain in the hot sun. It wasn't much of a meal, just a pemmican "puck" and a couple of coconut manna macadamia balls. Then I didn't eat again until 3:30 after I got home. I felt strong all during the hiking, both up and down. Even the hot sun didn't bother me much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

  5. #325
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah the bone broth is miracle food. I have been having a cup everyday first thing in the morning, and sometimes another cup after work instead of wine.

    I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months. I only partially fast because I have bone broth and coffee with a large amount of heavy cream in the morning before my first meal. Today my first real meal was after 4.5 miles of hiking up a steep mountain in the hot sun. It wasn't much of a meal, just a pemmican "puck" and a couple of coconut manna macadamia balls. Then I didn't eat again until 3:30 after I got home. I felt strong all during the hiking, both up and down. Even the hot sun didn't bother me much.
    Same here... I can fast again, too! Like you I have coffee with cream in the morning.

  6. #326
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,291
    for a few weeks i'd been having rice at work every few days. safe starch, eh? i didn't gain, but i felt bloated and icky after a very small serving of it. i certainly didn't lose, lol.

    and yes, i like not feeling hungry for long stretches. i ate dinner at work (standing up) friday at about 5, then didn't eat again until saturday at 3ish. even more than the fasting, i like how this seems to regulate my appetite better. we were at a spanish place for lunch and got a plate of house-cured meats. i could not get in much, that's for sure. late dinner of raw fish and fish roe around 8, and then my first meal today was at 10. 2nd meal was at 5. am feeling better than i have in quite a while.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  7. #327
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,291
    i work 3 mornings per week, and usually have my first meal there. am wondering if i should try making it a fat bomb-- like that coconut cream with cocoa powder? my days at work are super active and i never sit down, so i don't know if that kind of thing is best 1st on those days or later? those days my next meal break is at 5ish. guess i need to see. tuesday is a double, so i guess that'll be the day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  8. #328
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    [SIZE=3]avocado, miso soup or bone broth with a bit of salt will help balance your electrolytes also. all too often, people reach for sugar instead of thinking it might be something else. either way, the sugar is only a very short-term fix and will not get you down the road to ketosis.
    Yes, a short term fix that becomes a need.

    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I just made bone broth...so will be drinking some this evening with salt. I agree with noodletoy... reach for salt and drink more water instead of sugar for dizziness.
    Yep. I need to make another batch of that stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months.
    Hah!

    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Same here... I can fast again, too! Like you I have coffee with cream in the morning.
    I like coconut cream.

    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    for a few weeks i'd been having rice at work every few days. safe starch, eh? i didn't gain, but i felt bloated and icky after a very small serving of it. i certainly didn't lose, lol.
    and yes, i like not feeling hungry for long stretches. am feeling better than i have in quite a while.
    Doncha just love those safe starches?

  9. #329
    Jac's Avatar
    Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Doncha just love those safe starches?
    Yep, 'safe starches' are my friend. They didn't start me down the sugar highway again, they didn't mess up my IBS healing, they didn't start me feeling hungry every few hours. Yep, for me they were safe alright .

    I have a question about ketosis. Can you please check my reasoning, and let me know what you think?? I'd appreciate it!


    • Ketones are a by-product of metabolising fat
    • Eating a high-fat, moderate-protein, low carb diet will teach my body to burn fat as its preferred fuel - but weight loss will still require a caloric deficit
    • Measuring serum ketones (not urine overflow) should indicate whether my body is burning fat
    • Low serum ketones indicates that I am not burning fat


    OK, here's the question. If I'm not yet in deep ketosis, as evidenced by the serum ketones, and I fast for 24 hours, why would my ketone levels drop to a 'normal-diet' kind of level?? I don't know what my weight is doing at that time - I was travelling. I did the same thing yesterday (inadvertently fasted for 19 hours) and had a very minimal loss, like 200g in 2 days. My ketones were .3mmol/L last night.

    My hypothesis is that my body has switched into panic mode (I'm quite overweight, so there's no shortage of fat to burn) and is going into starvation mode where it uses protein/muscles for fuel instead??
    Last edited by Jac; 09-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

    Journalling here

    "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

  10. #330
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Yep, 'safe starches' are my friend. They didn't start me down the sugar highway again, they didn't mess up my IBS healing, they didn't start me feeling hungry every few hours. Yep, for me they were safe alright .

    I have a question about ketosis. Can you please check my reasoning, and let me know what you think?? I'd appreciate it!


    • Ketones are a by-product of metabolising fat
    • Eating a high-fat, moderate-protein, low carb diet will teach my body to burn fat as its preferred fuel - but weight loss will still require a caloric deficit
    • Measuring serum ketones (not urine overflow) should indicate whether my body is burning fat
    • Low serum ketones indicates that I am not burning fat


    OK, here's the question. If I'm not yet in deep ketosis, as evidenced by the serum ketones, and I fast for 24 hours, why would my ketone levels drop to a 'normal-diet' kind of level?? I don't know what my weight is doing at that time - I was travelling. I did the same thing yesterday (inadvertently fasted for 19 hours) and had a very minimal loss, like 200g in 2 days. My ketones were .3mmol/L last night.

    My hypothesis is that my body has switched into panic mode (I'm quite overweight, so there's no shortage of fat to burn) and is going into starvation mode where it uses protein/muscles for fuel instead??
    It seems like there are a lot of people particularly women who are coming around to realizing that just because a starch may be safe, as in it's not going to kill you, doesn't mean it is needed or even wanted in your diet. For someone with metabolic and digestive issues, even more so.

    From my experience with fasting, the first 24 hours are the hard ones and the second day is a breeze, on top of the world euphoric even. I think that first day is when the metabolic alarm bells are ringing, OMG, there's no glucose what are we going to do OMG, OMG! The second day the body says, Oh, waddaya know, we have this fat here we could be burning, let's see if we remember how to do that. Ooooh, fat is yummy. Happy body.

    So I think you would have to stay at it for another day to see the ketone readings go up.

Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •