Page 32 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 32

Sanas is offline Senior Member

Oops

Primal Fuel
    This is great, this thread. I curtsy with gratitude in your direction, Paleobird. So simple, the way you have united the CICO and the EAT MOAR FAT camps! and obvious -- after you did it. (Now, could you please do the Republicans and the Democrats?)

I am one of those people who never had a big bunch of weight to lose (was skinny-fat for most of my younger days) but I've been quite strict PB for more than two years now because of the other health benefits. But I would like to lose the fat padding on my belly and my arm bat-wings, if I could, which would mean losing maybe 10 pounds.

So I'm giving this a try. To get to my goal weight, I need to eat 300 cal/75 grams of protein, 38 g/152 cal of carbs, and 150 g/1350 cal of fat, for a total of about 1800 calories per day. (I'm six foot one.)

I think I've done all right the last two days, maxing out at maybe 1500 -1600 calories, 80/20/20, but today I ate 3019 calories, 86% of which was fat. And I could have eaten more, because it tasted so good. (Eggplant sauted in butter and coconut and olive oil, mostly.) Why such a capacity to suck back the fat? Is this what my body needs/wants? Do I need it for some kind of brain reconstruction? I used to be this way with carbs, but I didn't think fat would do it. Can't say I exactly craved it, but I certainly did eat it.

I'm really fascinated by the effects of ketosis on brain function. The feeling of calm, the content, the clarity -- I so want to experience that. I remember from the time I did the Atkins diet for three weeks how it felt like I had beautiful free-flowing hot water in my veins (I tend to be a cold, socks in bed kind of person). I've felt almost like this again, so I shall keep on keeping on.

Am I right in thinking that being in ketosis depends not on total calories, but on keeping carbs low? Maybe 38 grams of carbs is too high, even though that's what I calculate? What do y'all think?

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Ironic that something that is supposed to be our body's preferred energy source seems to do nothing but make a good many of us sleepy, eh?
    Hell yeah. That's why, even in my pre-Primal days, I couldn't handle sandwiches or the usual pasta/rice fare offered at local office lunch places - I'd just want to curl up and snooze under my desk all afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Probably a silly question, but what does MOAR fat mean? Is it an acronym for something?
    MOAR just = MORE, but with added emphasis and enthusiasm. It's Webspeak I believe initially derived from a combination of "more" and "roar". Made widely popular through Net memes such as Lolcats.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Well. Guess who's sitting here, eating her first ever pot of home-made Paleobird Paté Par-Excellence for dinner! I'm dead impressed with myself. Who knew it would be so easy? Kept it simple, just added a couple of rashers of bacon to the recipe for extra saltiness/flavour. Next time I'm thinking mushrooms, or perhaps some truffle oil ...

Thanks for the inspiration, Robin!

And a question: How long will this stuff keep in the fridge? I made four little pots tonight (Sunday evening) - if I eat one a day over the next few days will it last okay, or should I freeze one or two pots? I'm always nervous about keeping offal for very long, especially given my experience at how fast stuff like liverwurst can "turn" and smell off to me.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

patski is offline Senior Member
    Where does one find lebne kefir cheese?

Also: my liver purchases have royally been pissing me off lately. I usually fry up my liver in bacon or onions or sometimes both. But lately, I try and cut myself a piece, and there's tendons INSIDE this particular piece. OMG! Totally un-edible and highly frustrating!

How does one cut out tendons that are INSIDE liver?

I may just make a wackload of pate. I can't use cream though. It might turn out ok with bacon and lard, no? Hmmm...
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so far I gained about half a pound. I did not do a carb-up, but ate a bit more fruit than would have kept me between 20 and 30 g carbs (about a cup of bluebs & a couple of slices of mango). I already consumed about 1/2 a banana& some blueberries today as well, while stockpiling them for freezing for my folks, but I am going to avoid any and all carbs till tomorrow, so could still end up Okay. Half a pound gain happened prior to consuming extra fruit.

However, I was experiencing faint dizziness on Friday and it went away after having some fruit on Sat. Bad or good?

Since I am doing W30, I will not be counting macros, but I know now approximately how much I need to eat for 20-30 g carbs, and I just don't feel like chasing prot-fat ratio. I will simply use whole eggs instead of eggs and egg whites, and try to use more fat on my veggies & reduce servings of fish and meat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think all those thyroid and serotonin and insulin restance scares are truly just misinterpretations of reality. Anyway, if you try low carb and truly adapt--not just get stuck in that zone of misery--and feel really good, then who cares what your serotonin, thyroid and pancreas are doing. You can't feel this healthy and happy and also be sick. And the contrary is also true that you can't be be healthy on carb levels that don't leave you feeling healthy.

I am reading Phil Maffetone's Big Book of health and Fitness and he's got a lot to say about all this heavy weight lifting that's pushed around here. It is good to read something on fitness that actually jives with my personal experience and observations. So-called chronic cardio is another one of those half truths leading people astray. Basically we should all be walking slowly, hiking and even jogging and any heavy weight lifting should be natural, not isolated movement for hypotrophy and building big puffy muscles. All that does is interfere with fat burning and give you metabolic disorders. That totally explains to me why certain folks preach the potato so much. Through their stressful training anaerobically to fatigue they're triggering similar metabolic reactions I got just being a fatso with insulin resistance.
    Very true. A lot of the "Low carb will make<body part> fall off!" alarmist "studies" are ones that never really were low carb in the first place, just lowER than the SAD, and/or didn't last long enough to get fully into ketosis. People reporting feeling yucky five days in is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Just thought I'd share a couple of upcoming recipes on my high fat low carb menu

Baked Salmon with Macadamia Pesto
    Macadamia Pesto Recipe | Noob Cook Recipes
    [KITCHEN CRUSH][/url]
    Macadamia nut pesto? Where? I must try this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    I am 55, 5'4" and currently weigh 164 lbs down from 185 a year ago. Not sure what my ideal weight is but about 5 years ago I got down to 135 and people were asking if I'd been sick. I looked rather drawn and unhealthy below 140 - my natural shape is very much an hourglass but I would like to add some muscle too.

I am going to try to do the calculations on how much fat/protein/carbs but I don't mind if anyone wants to chime in with more directions as I am not exactly a numbers person. Thanks!
    At your height, you could easily do 135 or even 130 if you lose it the right way. That drawn look is from crash CW style dieting usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    This is great, this thread. I curtsy with gratitude in your direction, Paleobird. So simple, the way you have united the CICO and the EAT MOAR FAT camps! and obvious -- after you did it. (Now, could you please do the Republicans and the Democrats?)

I'm really fascinated by the effects of ketosis on brain function. The feeling of calm, the content, the clarity -- I so want to experience that. I remember from the time I did the Atkins diet for three weeks how it felt like I had beautiful free-flowing hot water in my veins (I tend to be a cold, socks in bed kind of person). I've felt almost like this again, so I shall keep on keeping on.

Am I right in thinking that being in ketosis depends not on total calories, but on keeping carbs low? Maybe 38 grams of carbs is too high, even though that's what I calculate? What do y'all think?
    Sorry but politics is out of my control.
    Yes, the brain effects are amazing. But, when you consider that the brain is made up of mostly fat, understandable.
    Your actual carb number will be different from anyone else's. All these formulas are just a place to start, not absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Well. Guess who's sitting here, eating her first ever pot of home-made Paleobird Paté Par-Excellence for dinner! I'm dead impressed with myself. Who knew it would be so easy? Kept it simple, just added a couple of rashers of bacon to the recipe for extra saltiness/flavour. Next time I'm thinking mushrooms, or perhaps some truffle oil ...

Thanks for the inspiration, Robin!

And a question: How long will this stuff keep in the fridge? I made four little pots tonight (Sunday evening) - if I eat one a day over the next few days will it last okay, or should I freeze one or two pots? I'm always nervous about keeping offal for very long, especially given my experience at how fast stuff like liverwurst can "turn" and smell off to me.
    You're welcome. It will keep for at least a week or two in the fridge but I put mine in little containers that have lids. If yours don't you might want to do the fat drizzle over the top to seal out the air.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Where does one find lebne kefir cheese?

Also: my liver purchases have royally been pissing me off lately. I usually fry up my liver in bacon or onions or sometimes both. But lately, I try and cut myself a piece, and there's tendons INSIDE this particular piece. OMG! Totally un-edible and highly frustrating!
    How does one cut out tendons that are INSIDE liver?
    I may just make a wackload of pate. I can't use cream though. It might turn out ok with bacon and lard, no? Hmmm...
    Labne kefir cheese is something I get at a little ethnic bodega run by middle eastern people. My Jewish friend tuned me on to it so you might be able to find it someplace that stocks Kosher stuff as well. There are tendons inside the liver? Really? I've never run across that. Anybody else? I think the pate would work with any fat, lard, bacon drippings, go for it. Experiment and report back.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    However, I was experiencing faint dizziness on Friday and it went away after having some fruit on Sat. Bad or good?
    Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you?

However, while I guess there's little harm in having a little fruit as you adapt, and it's certainly better than falling and breaking your nose or something, have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:

The most common cause of virtually all the symptoms listed [including dizziness] above is an imbalance in electrolytes. ...
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you? Have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
    That is an excellent article. I really recommend anyone wanting to go substantially lower carb/higher fat give that a read. Thanks, Lewis.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    About the liver having tendons - not possible, AFAIK. However, I have encountered livers from mature animals that had holes in the slices where blood vessels had gone, and these holes were surrounded by white tissue, which can be a bit tough if not cut out. There is another possibility that I shudder to mention. One time many moons ago, I bought most of a liver from my local butcher. I noticed a piece of "string" in it; so followed it through the consecutive slices. A worm! Arrrrgh! Butcher didn't think it was, but after my years of dosing various farm animals and pets for parasites, I know cows do not have some special immunity and I was 99% sure that's what it was. Turned me off liver for a while, but I'm back eating my (processed) liver pate until I can make Paleobird's recipe. It looks delish!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    About the liver having tendons - not possible, AFAIK.
    anatomically impossible for livers to have tendons. i make pate without cream, only because i don't often have it at my house. (the cream lives at the b/f's house.) i poach the livers and just whizz up with butter, seasonings and a splash of cognac. if you can't use butter, any kind of animal fat will work -- duck or goose fat would be especially great. it keeps a week or two, but if i make several pounds of livers at a time, i portion it and freeze, which works great.

have been trying to catch up on this thread, lol, phew. finally.

last summer i had middle-aged lady hormonal kaplooeyness and gained almost 10 pounds that i could not shake. got some of it off after having an iud removed and beginning some chinese herbs. cut my protein, upped my fats this past thursday and friday and saturday was down 1.5 pounds from thursday. it was the lowest weight i've seen since last year.

did not weigh today because we had sashimi with soy sauce and lots of fish roe last night, so didn't want the sodium water weight sads.

i have noticed that i've been running very hot since friday. however, this does seem like very small amounts of protein. typically i eat twice per day and was probably eating twice as much. right now i am shooting for about 70 gms, jeebus. not much food. but i will stick with it and know my appetite will adjust.

i began this whole journey with atkins 3 years ago, so i too count net carbs. i don't consume foods with sugar alcohols, so don't know/worry about that fuzzy math.

now that i feel more myself, "more balanced," i feel more capable of tackling this in a concentrated way. my brain and moods were so effed from the synthetic hormones and yadayada. honestly, i do think a good bit of this protein game is gender-based. i wonder if women are simply not designed to consume as much as men, even with all other things being equal.

thanks for this thread.

Last edited by noodletoy; 09-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 32 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast