Page 30 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 30

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Fat-adapted" the way Mark refers to it in his piece about the Fat Burning Beast is a milder state than permanent ketosis. It is where your metabolism is healthy enough to switch easily back and forth between fat and glucose, moving in and out of ketosis easily. In order to get to that level of health however, I think those of us that have had some metabolic damage along the way of life can benefit from at least a stretch in sustained ketosis.

Oooo, yes, that's what I meant. Ketosis is that extra step past the fat-adapted/fat burner type of being. And I like your point about "metabolic damage", I certainly am trying to recover from that.

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure it depends on the person and the food but if I eat roughly 70/20/10 are we talking days or weeks before ketosis?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    my urine smells quite strong.
    Is it a sign of it ?
    The first time I did this I went through a period of time where my urine smelled quite strong. Like fingernail polish remover. My breath was pretty bad, too and there was a bad taste in my mouth. I would also smell like acetone when I took a shower. This happens to me after a super long, strenuous hike even way back when I was on the SAD, too. Which is further confirmation of what I have read recently that metabolic flexibility is both a result of and a sign of physical fitness. Even on the SAD I could switch to fat burning, but it took a hell of a lot of exercise to do it.

This time around I didn't go through a stage with smelly acetone urine and bad breath or bad taste in my mouth.

I have decided to eat way more salads this week. Everything was so beckoning at the farmer's market. If it sways my fat calories down and my carb calories up, so be it. Ever since I made it over back to the dark side of ketosis, I am just so in the mood to run. I will use up those carb calories when I go running.

I'm like opposite-lady. Give me carbs and I want to lay down and sleep. Take them away and I am bursting with energy.

That meatloaf cupcake idea sounds so cute! Oh man, brainstorm! I just bought a whole bunch of stuff to make various pestos and freeze them. How about lamb meatloaf with pistachio mint pesto?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty Byrd View Post
    I have no idea what a shovel glove is but it's great to talk to some ladies from different parts of the globe with common goals. You guys are a bit further ahead than me. I'm currently 176 lb having lost 16 lb. I'm 5'6" and I'm lifting heavy weights so 147lbs is probably my goal. I've been eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast, having reluctantly given up my porridge so I am going to give have that up tomorrow and have a really clean week and check back with you guys if you don't mind. Hopefully I will have recieved my books by then. I have 32 qualifications to do with health and fitness so I am having a complete paradigm shift.

I came to this from watching a programme called Eat, fast and live longer. Well worth a watch if you're interested in fasting and it's relation to health and longevity.
    Congrats on the 16 lbs! That's fabulous so far. Keep up the good work. Am hoping that your books get to you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I've been in ketosis for a while now and I would agree that you just 'know' when you are there. I have a very 'contented' feel and almost feel like it's a bit of a drug. I feel extremely calm and grounded. I have no cravings.
    Nice to know that I'm not alone in this and that it sounds like it's a normal ketosis thing.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I love this thread! Reading about all of you and your discoveries, weight loss, health benefits, well, it's just wonderful!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotty Byrd View Post
    I'm sure it depends on the person and the food but if I eat roughly 70/20/10 are we talking days or weeks before ketosis?
    Phinney and Volek and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living say it takes about two weeks minimum. It has a lot to do with your level of insulin and leptin resistance/sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The first time I did this I went through a period of time where my urine smelled quite strong. Like fingernail polish remover. My breath was pretty bad, too and there was a bad taste in my mouth. I would also smell like acetone when I took a shower. This happens to me after a super long, strenuous hike even way back when I was on the SAD, too. Which is further confirmation of what I have read recently that metabolic flexibility is both a result of and a sign of physical fitness. Even on the SAD I could switch to fat burning, but it took a hell of a lot of exercise to do it.

This time around I didn't go through a stage with smelly acetone urine and bad breath or bad taste in my mouth.

I have decided to eat way more salads this week. Everything was so beckoning at the farmer's market. If it sways my fat calories down and my carb calories up, so be it. Ever since I made it over back to the dark side of ketosis, I am just so in the mood to run. I will use up those carb calories when I go running.

I'm like opposite-lady. Give me carbs and I want to lay down and sleep. Take them away and I am bursting with energy.

That meatloaf cupcake idea sounds so cute! Oh man, brainstorm! I just bought a whole bunch of stuff to make various pestos and freeze them. How about lamb meatloaf with pistachio mint pesto?
    I have had the "keto breath" before and yes, acetone is a byproduct of metabolizing ketone bodies for fuel, so I suppose this could be in the urine as well.
    I was at the farmer's market today too. I got some gorgeous sashimi grade salmon and asparagus which are going to be dinner tonight. I keep getting brainstorm ideas like that too that just bounce into my head from somewhere. I really think ketosis clears up your neural pathways and lets the neural impulses flow unimpeded. Feels like it is making me smarter. OK, not smarter maybe but just thinking more clearly.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Maybe this was a coincidence but a couple mornings ago when we woke up my husband said he'd had very vivid dreams about things from his childhood like camping trips he'd been on out west when he was 7-10 years old. This is the man who seldom remembers his dreams and he never has vivid dreams about his childhood. The day before we had eaten much more fat than usual, Particularly heavy cream. The last thing he'd eaten was a few strawberries and a big pile of homemade whipped cream. Has eating high fat foods ever affected your ability to dream and remember your dreams?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The first time I did this I went through a period of time where my urine smelled quite strong. Like fingernail polish remover. My breath was pretty bad, too and there was a bad taste in my mouth. I would also smell like acetone when I took a shower. This happens to me after a super long, strenuous hike even way back when I was on the SAD, too. Which is further confirmation of what I have read recently that metabolic flexibility is both a result of and a sign of physical fitness. Even on the SAD I could switch to fat burning, but it took a hell of a lot of exercise to do it.....This time around I didn't go through a stage with smelly acetone urine and bad breath or bad taste in my mouth.

I was that way also. I dont notice it so much anymore, so either I am not there, or I just don't notice. Still strong urine smell though, I take a number of supplements also, that might have something to do with that. But I don't notice the other stuff anymore. I figure I probaby go in and out, but I really don't know. I say I dont know because while my net carbs are usually under 50, this higher protein might have thrown a wrench in it, I dont know. I only have a few days of that being higher also. I think even when it is higher, it is still within an acceptable range, just topping out. I feel good and am steady losing so it's all good I guess. My 24 hour fast days, I am sure help out.

I am learning that carbs zonk me out also. I try to limit it to supper but still working on that.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ironic that something that is supposed to be our body's preferred energy source seems to do nothing but make a good many of us sleepy, eh?

Page 30 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast