Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 29

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am really enjoying this thread. Very informative. My husband and I changed to Primal eating in January. He has lost 28 pounds and is at goal weight. I have lost 35-40. I didn't weigh myself when I started. I need to lose another 15 or so. I have never tracked calories or macros. Weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week to about 1 pound a week. I don't shoot for constant ketosis but my appetite is regulated and I have no cravings, so I'm content with that. I have been thinking I may need to reduce protein and up fat to pick up the weight loss pace and then I found this thread.

I downloaded SparkPeople which says I should be eating 1550 or less calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. From playing with the calorie calculator the last couple days, I'm guessing I've been closer to 1800-2000 since January and still losing. The last two days I exceeded the 1550. So it may be a good test to eat as always and see if I still lose 1-2 pounds a week regardless if their 1550 recommendation.

Some of you don't seem to be eating very many calories per day, like 1200-1500 which I find interesting. I hope I don't need to eat less than 1500 as that doesn't seem like much at all!

I haven't been doing any exercise except walking from January to the end of June. Now I am doing an exercise system called T-Tapp, developed by Teresa Tapp, based on physical therapy spinal alignment principles, lymphatic system
    Cleansing, and it also is designed to help regulate hormones. Workouts are 15-45 minutes. Most that I do are 15-20 minutes. I have lost a Lot of inches despite not losing much weight in two months. My back feels much better and stronger. This seems to be a great compliment to the primal diet as it follows the less is more exercise philosophy. They also have a forum and while they don't eat primally, there are some primal/paleo people there and many of the rest are into eating healthy fats, organic foods, coconut oil, and have a knowledge of non-conventional health matters. If this might be a help to anyone here, I highly recommend T-Tapp. I am not one who will ever go to a gym, and with this program I don't need to.
    Last edited by Miss Understood; 09-01-2012 at 06:19 AM.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Maybe you have an egg intolerance issue?
    Yup, I sure do. I had a blood sample taken and about 200 foods tested. Egg white and yolks came back as being highly allergic in the AVOID section. What a bummer Dairy, gluten, kale, turmeric, brewers yeast and a bunch of others are all in the 'moderate' allergen section. I miss my greek yogurt

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is ketosis a necessary state to be in for someone who isn't trying to lose weight?
    Last edited by patski; 09-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    And thanks Dotty On a side note, it's kind of nice to find a couple of people to chat with who are awake at the same time as me. So thanks to you and Drumroll.

Heading to the store now, am on the hunt for a sledge hammer so I can do "shovelglove" Wish me luck. Not quite sure where I'm going to find one here in Vienna...
    I have no idea what a shovel glove is but it's great to talk to some ladies from different parts of the globe with common goals. You guys are a bit further ahead than me. I'm currently 176 lb having lost 16 lb. I'm 5'6" and I'm lifting heavy weights so 147lbs is probably my goal. I've been eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast, having reluctantly given up my porridge so I am going to give have that up tomorrow and have a really clean week and check back with you guys if you don't mind. Hopefully I will have recieved my books by then. I have 32 qualifications to do with health and fitness so I am having a complete paradigm shift.

I came to this from watching a programme called Eat, fast and live longer. Well worth a watch if you're interested in fasting and it's relation to health and longevity.
    Last edited by Dotty Byrd; 09-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I am really enjoying this thread. Very informative. My husband and I changed to Primal eating in January. He has lost 28 pounds and is at goal weight. I have lost 35-40. I didn't weigh myself when I started. I need to lose another 15 or so. I have never tracked calories or macros. Weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week to about 1 pound a week. I don't shoot for constant ketosis but my appetite is regulated and I have no cravings, so I'm content with that. I have been thinking I may need to reduce protein and up fat to pick up the weight loss pace and then I found this thread.

I downloaded SparkPeople which says I should be eating 1550 or less calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. From playing with the calorie calculator the last couple days, I'm guessing I've been closer to 1800-2000 since January and still losing. The last two days I exceeded the 1550. So it may be a good test to eat as always and see if I still lose 1-2 pounds a week regardless if their 1550 recommendation.

Some of you don't seem to be eating very many calories per day, like 1200-1500 which I find interesting. I hope I don't need to eat less than 1500 as that doesn't seem like much at all!

I haven't been doing any exercise except walking from January to the end of June. Now I am doing an exercise system called T-Tapp, developed by Teresa Tapp, based on physical therapy spinal alignment principles, lymphatic system
    Cleansing, and it also is designed to help regulate hormones. Workouts are 15-45 minutes. Most that I do are 15-20 minutes. I have lost a Lot of inches despite not losing much weight in two months. My back feels much better and stronger. This seems to be a great compliment to the primal diet as it follows the less is more exercise philosophy. They also have a forum and while they don't eat primally, there are some primal/paleo people there and many of the rest are into eating healthy fats, organic foods, coconut oil, and have a knowledge of non-conventional health matters. If this might be a help to anyone here, I highly recommend T-Tapp. I am not one who will ever go to a gym, and with this program I don't need to.
    I've heard a lot of good things about T-Tapp... do you purchase the $80 DVD and follow that video? Is that how it works?

I am really feeling the benefits of going higher fat lower carb, too! Brought me back to what I did when I started eating this way and what worked. This forum threw me off track for awhile with upping my carbs which led me to cravings, skin breakouts, mood problems, bloated stomach, and no weight loss. I'm back to feeling good and losing. I weighed 139 yesterday and have been waiting to see the scale be back below 140 for 2 years! Yeah! I hope this will get me to my goal of 125!

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about T-Tapp... do you purchase the $80 DVD and follow that video? Is that how it works?

I am really feeling the benefits of going higher fat lower carb, too! Brought me back to what I did when I started eating this way and what worked. This forum threw me off track for awhile with upping my carbs which led me to cravings, skin breakouts, mood problems, bloated stomach, and no weight loss. I'm back to feeling good and losing. I weighed 139 yesterday and have been waiting to see the scale be back below 140 for 2 years! Yeah! I hope this will get me to my goal of 125!
    There are a number of different DVDs. You don't need to spend $80. I have a few and most have been around $30.00. She has some "try before you buy" exercises for free on her website, and you can find some free samples on YouTube. Ultimately Basic+ or one of the regular workouts will give you the best results since she has a reason to do various movements in a particular order. While experimenting for a couple weeks with the free exercises I lost 6 3/4 total inches ranging from bust to calves. Losses have slowed after a couple months but I am still toning and slimming. This was the missing piece to my health goals. I have a couple bad shoulders and can't raise my arms over my head and hip mobility is not great. I had been afraid to exercise because I used to have lower back and sciatic pain. Now I am not afraid to exercise and this method is rehabbing my joints. Teresa has had a spinal injury herself so is very aware of the proper ways to move and protect the spine. I really like the science behind her workouts, especially the lymphatic system emphasis. Many people have reported improved health in the same ways that going Primal has done for me: less inflammation and arthritis, regulating hormones, better appetite control, etc. I'm hoping Primal and T-Tapp will be like a double whammy for my health!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but is ketosis a necessary state to be in for someone who isn't trying to lose weight?
    Paleobird does it for her siezures. Lots of autistics do it because it helps them. Some other thread here about Parkinson's said it might help those with that condition. Of course it's helpful for diabetes. There's a somewhat nutty lady who goes by "ItstheWoo" who stays in ketosis because it helps her maintain her weight and control some of her nuttiness.

I like how I have more energy and clarity of mind. I don't know if I will stay in ketosis exactly with such a high-fat plan, but I think I will make a better effort than in the past to keep my carbs very very low.

By the way, you can reverse engineer the grams to find out the calories you should aim for. I think it's roughly 4 calories per gram for protein and carb and 9 for fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I have a question, I've been trying to get in ketosis for the first time in my life (was following Mark's macros with around 70 to 150 fats, most days around 100).
    I don't have any ketostix for the moment, but I remarked that... scuse for that, my urine smells quite strong.
    Is it a sign of it ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I've been in ketosis for a while now and I would agree that you just 'know' when you are there. I have a very 'contented' feel and almost feel like it's a bit of a drug. I feel extremely calm and grounded. I have no cravings. I've also found that I can eat 800-1000 calories a day and that feels like it's almost too much food. My ratios are 70/20/10.
    I started feeling this way at ~40/30/30. I've been transitioning from a pretty typical SAD to something more primal over the last 5 months, while keeping my calories pretty near 1400/day on average. Obviously, I can't really be in ketosis, but maybe my blood sugar/insulin levels are much improved anyway. I have recently been trying to push to 50/25/25 and I actually feel a little worse. A high fat meal feels like a lump in my stomach for several hours and the carb cravings I haven't felt for months are back. My only exercise is walking, so I doubt I have any special carb or protein needs. Not sure what to make of this. Oh, and lbs have been dropping off pretty steadily the whole time, thank goodness.

Pushing fat intake has brought me to a question about cooking fatty meat. How do you account for the loss of fat in cooking? I made meatloaf cupcakes with pesto frosting, inspired by Paleobird's lovely meatloaf. Each "cupcake" had 3oz of pasture-raised beef/pork, a mini mozzarella ball filling and 2t of pesto frosting. The liquid off each while cooking was probably 3/4 water, but the rest was still a good 2t of fat lost. That's almost 10g of fat from what was supposed to be a 280 calorie cupcake. It makes me think fattier meat isn't going to be a very effective way to increase my total fat.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    I think that in Primal speak, this is where you fully shift from being a sugar burner into a fat burner or become "fat adapted". Where you've used up most of your glycogen stores and now your body starts pulling energy from your fat cells. Once you've become fat adapted and lowered your glycogen stores so you're in ketosis, you don't eat anything that can trigger you to shift back to a sugar burner. For example, not eating starchy carbs or thing that turn quickly into sugar like potatoes, many fruits. You also watch the sugar content on things like Kefir and yogurt and other things, because anything that will spike your insulin, is also something that can push you out of ketosis. At least that's my understanding of it.

So by eating healthy fats, proteins, and veggis, you keep yourself firmly in ketosis. Also, to add, in this thread, Paleobird has talked about how eating too much protein pushes her out of ketosis, so this concept is also something worth thinking about. If I understand correctly, Paleobird tries to keep her ratios to 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. this keeps her firmly in the ketosis zone.

Hope this helps.

Edit: For me, I know I'm in ketosis when my cravings go away. Silly, I know, but in the past few days as I've upped my fat content (and have still kept my calories down), I don't crave things like I used to. Also, I mentally feel like things have leveled out, I feel a contentedness. It's weird, I know.
    "Fat-adapted" the way Mark refers to it in his piece about the Fat Burning Beast is a milder state than permanent ketosis. It is where your metabolism is healthy enough to switch easily back and forth between fat and glucose, moving in and out of ketosis easily. In order to get to that level of health however, I think those of us that have had some metabolic damage along the way of life can benefit from at least a stretch in sustained ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    An important part of my routine is keeping caloric intake in check however. For weight maintenance, most nutrition calculators say I should be at about 1,700 calories. I try, therefore, to stick to that number or below, as best as I can. I agree with Paleobird's note that it's got to be a combination of high-fat and calories in, calories out.
    Yes. Thank you. It is not as simple as EAT MOAR FAT!

I don't worry about the ratios as much as the hard numbers. Protein is 1 gram per pound of body weight or less so... 130 grams or less daily (sometimes it's right at the 130 mark, some days can be as low as 80). Carbs are net (total minus fiber) to equal twenty or fewer (has been as low as five grams on occasion but typically between 15 - 20 grams a day). The rest is made up of fat, with total calories to equal 1,700 or fewer.
    I'm coming to believe that this is a valid point.

.....the recent trend in the ketogenic community is not to worry about any fiber you consume. This allows one to take in greater amounts of veggies daily and not go over the twenty gram mark.
    Yes. Greater amounts of veggies not only make the palate happy, they keep people from getting nutritional deficiencies which cause things like hair falling out which then get blamed on the keto.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I've been in ketosis for a while now and I would agree that you just 'know' when you are there. I have a very 'contented' feel and almost feel like it's a bit of a drug. I feel extremely calm and grounded. I have no cravings. I've also found that I can eat 800-1000 calories a day and that feels like it's almost too much food. My ratios are 70/20/10. I'm currently not eating fruit and a minimal amount of dairy and abstaining from alcohol as I'm trying to drop my last 10 lbs. I've also noticed that my body temp has risen slightly: I feel warmer. This warmth is noticeable as I'm tall, and generally feel cold (I'm the one always wearing a sweater in the summer). Ketosis is a very nice place to be and unless there are any downsides, I intend to stay here as long as possible/ louisa
    A very nice place to be indeed. 70/20/10 is about what I've been hitting too.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yup, I sure do. I had a blood sample taken and about 200 foods tested. Egg white and yolks came back as being highly allergic in the AVOID section. What a bummer Dairy, gluten, kale, turmeric, brewers yeast and a bunch of others are all in the 'moderate' allergen section. I miss my greek yogurt
    Have you tried labne kefir cheese? All the probiotics and tangy taste of greek yoghurt but with more fat and less milk solids. Might not trip your allergy triggers so much. No, ketosis is not "necessary" (see above about "Fat Burning Beast") but it is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Paleobird does it for her siezures. Lots of autistics do it because it helps them. Some other thread here about Parkinson's said it might help those with that condition. Of course it's helpful for diabetes. There's a somewhat nutty lady who goes by "ItstheWoo" who stays in ketosis because it helps her maintain her weight and control some of her nuttiness.

I like how I have more energy and clarity of mind. I don't know if I will stay in ketosis exactly with such a high-fat plan, but I think I will make a better effort than in the past to keep my carbs very very low.

By the way, you can reverse engineer the grams to find out the calories you should aim for. I think it's roughly 4 calories per gram for protein and carb and 9 for fat.
    Yes those are the right numbers. And yes, if ketosis can help with such a wide variety of medical conditions, kinda makes you think that maybe it is a healthy way to go, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I have a question, I've been trying to get in ketosis for the first time in my life (was following Mark's macros with around 70 to 150 fats, most days around 100).
    I don't have any ketostix for the moment, but I remarked that... scuse for that, my urine smells quite strong.
    Is it a sign of it ?
    That may have to do more with hydration than the actual ketosis. Being in Keto makes your body excrete a lot of excess fluids and so you have to be careful to drink enough water and make sure you have enough salt in your diet.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I started feeling this way at ~40/30/30. I've been transitioning from a pretty typical SAD to something more primal over the last 5 months, while keeping my calories pretty near 1400/day on average. Obviously, I can't really be in ketosis, but maybe my blood sugar/insulin levels are much improved anyway. I have recently been trying to push to 50/25/25 and I actually feel a little worse. A high fat meal feels like a lump in my stomach for several hours and the carb cravings I haven't felt for months are back. My only exercise is walking, so I doubt I have any special carb or protein needs. Not sure what to make of this. Oh, and lbs have been dropping off pretty steadily the whole time, thank goodness.

Pushing fat intake has brought me to a question about cooking fatty meat. How do you account for the loss of fat in cooking? I made meatloaf cupcakes with pesto frosting, inspired by Paleobird's lovely meatloaf. Each "cupcake" had 3oz of pasture-raised beef/pork, a mini mozzarella ball filling and 2t of pesto frosting. The liquid off each while cooking was probably 3/4 water, but the rest was still a good 2t of fat lost. That's almost 10g of fat from what was supposed to be a 280 calorie cupcake. It makes me think fattier meat isn't going to be a very effective way to increase my total fat.
    Oooh those cupcakes sound wonderful. Good idea. The way you account for what cooks off is pour it over what is on the plate and eat it. lick the juices off the plate *before* giving it to the dog.

Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast