Page 27 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 27

Picaro is offline Member
    This thread has been very timely for me, as it has encouraged me to get back to where I started with paleo/primal.

When I started, it was on similar macro ratios with the exception that I've been around the 1.5 multiplier for protein all along.
    Right from the first week I experienced the high energy, mental alertness and weight loss. 6ft male, went from 88kg and 97cm trousers to 77kg and 87cm trousers in 3 or 4 months.

But then I increased my work load at the local non-paleo gym, and got involved with a group of non-paleo hikers. It was about this time I started hanging around the paleo forums as well, which as we know can be fraught with danger. Between these influences, and starting to plan some high altitude treks, I started fiddling with my carb and fat levels to the point where I started losing track of where I was at in terms of strength and vitality. And also felt confused on how to get back to where I had been.

So as of yesterday I'm back to @ 100-120gm P sub 50gm C and @ 300gm F

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree with Chaco on that point too. In order to make chicken breast keto, you would have to soak it in butter. You would be better off eating some lamb shoulder or beef brisket. It seems to be just me but I really think chicken skin is nasty. It's not the fat that bothers me, obviously, it's the texture. Eww. So chicken is pretty much off my diet. Also there is the O3/O6 issue with chicken so it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.
    I don't care about the content of chicken fat as long as there are no antibiotics and shit involved, and I like the skin, especially when it's crispy, like chicharrones. I also love chicken feet and chicken liver, which still have chicken fat, so I'm still going to eat poultry every once in a while. Especially if I get off my lazy ass and make my own coconut milk, I'll drown my chicken breasts in some Thai curry.

gempdx44 is offline Member
    This is my favorite way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just made it last night and had leftovers for lunch ... still full at 3:30!

Easy Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Smoky Chicken Thighs | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I don't venture into the realms of baking... due to sodium content(baking soda).

But I have considered it... and it might be tops for those "emergency" situations.
    I keep thinking if I could stabilize an egg white foam with the coconut flour somehow it might work without leavening.
    Like a souffle... but one that hopefully wouldn't FALL.
    Try this recipe from LowCarbFriends: Ingredients: 1/2 a 3-oz bag
    UNFLAVORED pork rinds
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    3 splenda packets
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

How To Prepare: Crumble pork rinds until the
    resemble fine bread
    crumbs.

Beat eggs well then mix
    with the remaining
    ingredients and beat again.
    Add crushed pork rinds to
    the egg/cream mixture and
    allow to sit for 5 minutes.
    Mix will thicken to a "gloppy"
    phase.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or
    griddle with butter or oil,
    and when hot, fry pancakes
    until golden brown on both
    sides. Serve with lots of
    butter and low-carb syrup.

If you don't tell someone
    who eats them, they will
    never have a CLUE that
    these delicious french toast
    pancakes are made with
    pork rinds. THESE ARE
    UNBELIEVABLE!! You WILL
    be surprised at how
    delicious these are!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    This is my favorite way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just made it last night and had leftovers for lunch ... still full at 3:30!

Easy Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Smoky Chicken Thighs | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education
    Looks really good... thanks!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.
    I was thinking exactly this just today. I'm pretty active. This week: Sunday, hike; Monday, bike commute, jogging 3 miles at lunch; Tuesday, bike commute, body pump class; Wednesday, very sore, took walk; Thursday, still sore, body pump class; Friday, still sore but jogged 5 miles anyway. I guess I'm pretty active and I don't feel like I'm eating too much protein. I never use protein powders. All my protein comes from meat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.
    The heaviest thing I lifted today was my big pan of pork out of the oven
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    This thread has been very timely for me, as it has encouraged me to get back to where I started with paleo/primal.

When I started, it was on similar macro ratios with the exception that I've been around the 1.5 multiplier for protein all along.
    Right from the first week I experienced the high energy, mental alertness and weight loss. 6ft male, went from 88kg and 97cm trousers to 77kg and 87cm trousers in 3 or 4 months.

But then I increased my work load at the local non-paleo gym, and got involved with a group of non-paleo hikers. It was about this time I started hanging around the paleo forums as well, which as we know can be fraught with danger. Between these influences, and starting to plan some high altitude treks, I started fiddling with my carb and fat levels to the point where I started losing track of where I was at in terms of strength and vitality. And also felt confused on how to get back to where I had been.

So as of yesterday I'm back to @ 100-120gm P sub 50gm C and @ 300gm F
    Yep. Exactly. Back to basics. Back to the reason the PB worked in the first place.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to jump in and say thank you so much Paleobird for starting this thread! I've been following it for the past few days since you started it, and it's been very helpful to me.

I can't eat eggs (make me nauseous) and so for the past couple of months, I've gravitated toward salami type meats and/or cheese for breakfasts (kind of a European thing I'm finding). I usually can't eat much for breakfast (steak, or tuna salad, or whatever) it usually makes me feel ill. But in the past I've been able to eat 300-350 calories in sliced meats and cheeses and I've felt good. Also, I've usually been trying to leave the carbs for the evening so that it doesn't spike my insulin too early in the day.

So anyway, this thread kind of crystallized things for me. Helped me realize that for me, like so many others, a more ketogenic way of eating, really is better for me. Perhaps my body had been trying to tell me this for months? I've adjusted my macros accordingly to up the fats and drop the protein even further.

So thanks for starting the thread! We'll see how things go moving forward.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to the person who posted the chocolate coconut milk pudding recipe! I've been looking forward to trying it ever since you mentioned it!
    Last edited by lissee; 09-01-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    I'm taking notes girl!

I'd love to dip into Ketosis for a few days to speed my fat loss along, just unsure how to get there.
    Same here Trojan. I'm scouring the posts for something that says exactly what Ketosis is, how to get there, how long it takes and how you know when you're there.

Page 27 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast