Page 26 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 26

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    I got a PM from a forum member asking what kind of foods I find useful in getting enough fat while still keeping the protein moderate and the carbs low. And she asked what a typical day in the gastronomic life of Paleobird looked like. The answer might be able to help some other people here as well so I hope Jenn doesn't mind me re-printing it.:

Hi Jenn,
    No problem.
    Things on my shopping list that could help:
    Mascarpone cheese
    macadamia nuts
    pine nuts
    tahini
    egg yolks (say 2 whole eggs plus 4 yolks)
    high fat cheeses like brie, camembert
    labne kefir cheese
    avocados
    avocado oil
    sesame oil
    fatty fish like sardines, herring, mackerel, salmon
    lotsa raw butter and cream
    sour cream (make creamed spinach or kale)
    coconut products, oil, manna, milk, cream, dry as a snack
    bone marrow (roast in oven, slurp out)
    then make broth with the bones

Homemade stuff:
    Fat Bread from the Free the Animal site (version 3)
    liver pate' made with lots of butter and cream (recipe here : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html)

My typical day is coffee or tea with coconut cream for breakfast
    Lunch is a small something fatty like a slice of Fat Bread spread thickly with mascarpone or a tupper cup of my pate'.
    Dinner is veggies and/or a salad with a red meat or fish. You can work extra fat into the veggies like creamed spinach, mashed cauliflower with coconut oil.
    For dessert I sometimes make whipped cream over fruit ror my Dad while I have a little fruit over whipped cream. Add cocoa powder while whipping. Yumm.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-31-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: add link

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the lower protein thing too. A few months back I started buying up tons of chicken breast to significantly increase the protein, but nowadays I am just normalizing the ratios back with nuts as the fat due to cravings. I think I will go back to eating fattier cuts, and hopefully it'll eliminate my cravings for both nuts and chocolate again.
    My n=1 this week, was cutting back on red meat. I had already thought I needed to do that before I started reading all this.
    So I havent really lowered the protein, well working on it & I did somewhat, but mostly just a different kind of protein with more chicken and fish, and adding fat (which all added some calories but that is okay) So anyways, I had a gain from the weekend, family dinner day, so I gained come Monday morning. So in the last four days, I have lost 4 pounds. Did I say that in this thread already? So Monday morning was up, but Tues, Wed, Thur, and today - down 4 pounds. I know not all fat, but I think at least 2 pounds of it is.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I just put my plan through the calculator today, and it came up with:

1450 cals 110 fat 31 TC (24 NC) 90 g protein

I am reluctant to let go of 300 g of salmon for supper to decrease protein in two. The rest of protein comes from 3 eggs. No egg whites. Is it really that bad to be higher on protein? If I half the salmon, I can get protein to the desired range, and my cals will go to 1200, but I can beef it up to 1300 with coconut milk/creamed coconut. I will keep both options in mind.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Is it really that bad to be higher on protein?
    This was/is my thinking also. For some reason, I felt I would rather be too high than too low, because I thought if I were too low, that maybe part of my weight loss would be muscle loss. I have nothing to base that on. Just something I always thought for some reason. And I guess I thought as long as my calories were in check, it would work itself out.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I feel the same way, because the BB articles all urge you to up the protein when in deficit to preserve muscle.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.

Also Dr J K's recommendations are not carved in stone. Dr Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living recommends 1.5 grams for every kilo of goal weight. That might be a more do-able target for some people.

Picaro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I just put my plan through the calculator today, and it came up with:

1450 cals 110 fat 31 TC (24 NC) 90 g protein

I am reluctant to let go of 300 g of salmon for supper to decrease protein in two. The rest of protein comes from 3 eggs. No egg whites. Is it really that bad to be higher on protein? If I half the salmon, I can get protein to the desired range, and my cals will go to 1200, but I can beef it up to 1300 with coconut milk/creamed coconut. I will keep both options in mind.
    Just had a look at your journal, and I agree with Paleobirds suggestion of 1.5gm protein per kg.
    What are your physical stats, and what calculator did you use to get those macros?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.

Also Dr J K's recommendations are not carved in stone. Dr Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living recommends 1.5 grams for every kilo of goal weight. That might be a more do-able target for some people.
    That's very do-able! I just started reading the book, so haven't reached that part yet. I got my lamb's liver for your pate... going to make it for dinner tonight! Thank you for the list above... very helpful.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    My n=1 this week, was cutting back on red meat. I had already thought I needed to do that before I started reading all this.
    So I havent really lowered the protein, well working on it & I did somewhat, but mostly just a different kind of protein with more chicken and fish, and adding fat (which all added some calories but that is okay) So anyways, I had a gain from the weekend, family dinner day, so I gained come Monday morning. So in the last four days, I have lost 4 pounds. Did I say that in this thread already? So Monday morning was up, but Tues, Wed, Thur, and today - down 4 pounds. I know not all fat, but I think at least 2 pounds of it is.
    What I was doing was that I was doubling my protein intake and simultaneously halving the fat. I went from f/c/p of 120/80/120 on nonworkout days and 80/150/120 on workout days to a daily 50/120/200 (which eventually got to 250/150/250 with nuts). Maybe if I used butter with that chicken breast, but I didn't. I also agree with Choco on the point that a lot of standalone oils/fats are kind of processed, so I'll just go back to fatty cuts of meat.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    What I was doing was that I was doubling my protein intake and simultaneously halving the fat. I went from f/c/p of 120/80/120 on nonworkout days and 80/150/120 on workout days to a daily 50/120/200 (which eventually got to 250/150/250 with nuts). Maybe if I used butter with that chicken breast, but I didn't. I also agree with Choco on the point that a lot of standalone oils/fats are kind of processed, so I'll just go back to fatty cuts of meat.
    I agree with Chaco on that point too. In order to make chicken breast keto, you would have to soak it in butter. You would be better off eating some lamb shoulder or beef brisket. It seems to be just me but I really think chicken skin is nasty. It's not the fat that bothers me, obviously, it's the texture. Eww. So chicken is pretty much off my diet. Also there is the O3/O6 issue with chicken so it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

Page 26 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast