Page 25 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 25

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am trying to talk my mom into dropping at least wheat. She always had an apple shape figure, and now she starting to get arthritis and other small health things. I would love to see if getting at least off wheat would help her. She reduced her bread consumption to like 1 to 0 slices a day, while my daughter was staying with her, as I asked her not to feed bread to the kiddo, and lo and behold, 3 weeks later the pants are falling off her. I think she is coming around. Though milk is more likely to be a problem with arthritis, I guess... ?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Just want to report -- after changing my macros to the higher fat, lower protein, and VLC - I'm down 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Gotta love that! and I haven't completely tweaked my diet to reach my %age goals - but I'm close. 10-20-70 --- today will be a good day! Oh, and I've got energy to the max! THIS for a girl with fibromyalgia and boarderline chronic fatigue. Eating primal/paleo is saving my life ......... or at least greatly improving the quality of it!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Today's keto-ish breakfast:
    Four eggs cooked in mixed oils, drank oils from bowl - so yummy.
    One pound of bacon.

I realize this is a lot of protein, but I'm most likely only eating once today, so aside from that brief glucose spike I'll be burning fat for the next 23-ish hours.
    awesome

I am BP Coffee for breakfast

Lunch I guess it was, was 3 cups of bone broth I made and it was yumm-o. And I just now had almost 2 ounces of gizzards. I am really thinking about some greek yogurt and nut butter, but going to try to hold off... a couple of minutes anyways

75% fat
    24% protein
    1% carbs

But that will all be so different by tonight.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Oh, lol. I forgot my BP coffee. Yes, I had that, too, with double the coconut milk for 840 calories.

EDIT: Also add one cube thick bone broth and 1.5 cups frozen spinach to that list!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-31-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Eating primal/paleo is saving my life ......... or at least greatly improving the quality of it!
    I love hearing stuff like this. I'm so happy for you!

Yesterday my book came in the mail: The Big Book of Health and Fitness by Phil Maffetone. He's not particularly low carb or paleo but he comes really super close to both. Anyway, he encourages his patients to do a two week trial that is very low carb to test if they are carb intolerant. He says so many times people will tell him after the 2 weeks that they feel like a new person or they feel young again. I was thinking about that yesterday and it's like for me, it's like being young for the first time.

If only our enthusiasm and feelings of health could be transferred directly into the brains of our loved ones who are skeptical. Then they could see. Sigh...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I have Jan Kwasniewski's book from ages ago. My parents found him when I was around 15. Being Polish, and Mom being into health stuff, I'm wasn't surprised.
    Mom read it, and they both started eating in Jan's fashion. They lost weight, and I distinctly remember them saying how much more energy they had.
    Then Ma was all like "YOU NEED MOAR FAT! DAT IS WHY YOU HAVE CRAMPS!", so I ate scrambled eggs in butter every day. It helped.
    Until my body was like "NO MOAR EGGS" and I vomited on the way to class one morning
    I wish I could read Polish better than I can! Or somehow get the book translated?
    I remember Ma making this egg type 'cake' that she cut into squares from the book. It was very filling and kind of sweet but mostly savoury.
    Unfortunately, they didn't stick with it.
    When I start Crossfit regularly again, I'm going to seriously track what I'm eating on WOD days and off days to see how I do. This thread is wonderful. I don't have weight to lose, and I *think* I can handle carbs fine. Back to the drawing board!
    Maybe you have an egg intolerance issue? Do you eat them now? The Optimal Diet is available in English on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    any comments on vlc and thyroid issues for women - I think I have seen posts that there could be a link posted before?? It kinda scares me - but then I am a wuss and easily scared by "you could do permanent damage" stuff..
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
    Thanks SB.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    This may be TMI: but if I'm a very good girl and follow Primal 95% for a couple weeks with no snacking, I get a pretty consistent *ahem* good bowel urge within 10 minutes of breakfast, days in a row, usually followed by a pound or two of fat loss and a smaller stomach and a little more self-confidence. I wonder if this is a sign of ketosis, or just efficient body fat burn.
    Both plus the extra fat helps to lube the piping.

Wow, it is really super hard to eat that much fat! My target with the whole HSIS method is 108-162g and that's actually quite a challenge. I overdo it on protein, too. I know that PB's typical day is two meals, one very small more like a snack, and a bigger meal at dinner. My hat is off to you, PB, to be able to eat that much fat on so few meals. I can barely reach my target snarfing three meals a day and overdoing it on total calories.

What I wonder is if I can actually achieve these HSIS targets, will it actually help me lose weight. Only one way to find out. Oh man, do I gotta take my kitchen creativity to a whole new level...
    I sometime have a fat snack after dinner like a chunk of a fatty cheese. Have you ever tried lebne? It is kefir cheese so it has all the great probiotics of yogurty things but with lots more fat and less milk solids. A spoon full of that stuff is a great snack.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I only get puffy on days when I go bezerk on the fruit carbs - 400g or so.
    Could you please explain this to my Dad for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Today's keto-ish breakfast:
    Four eggs cooked in mixed oils, drank oils from bowl - so yummy.
    One pound of bacon.
    I realize this is a lot of protein, but I'm most likely only eating once today, so aside from that brief glucose spike I'll be burning fat for the next 23-ish hours.
    Yes, I find myself licking out plates and pans too. The dog is a little bummed about this.

......... my doctor is a Paleo preaching MD and crossfitter herself! I have hypothyroidism and am currently trying to find my sweet spot on Armour Thyroid. She has never told me there is any connection between VLC and thyroid issues. She fully supports my low carb lifestyle and encourages me to continue on. I'd say there is nothing to be concerned about. I shoot for 10% carbs.
    Good to know. Thanks, Tomi.

Just want to report -- after changing my macros to the higher fat, lower protein, and VLC - I'm down 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Gotta love that! and I haven't completely tweaked my diet to reach my %age goals - but I'm close. 10-20-70 --- today will be a good day! Oh, and I've got energy to the max! THIS for a girl with fibromyalgia and boarderline chronic fatigue. Eating primal/paleo is saving my life ......... or at least greatly improving the quality of it!
    Yay!

Yesterday my book came in the mail: The Big Book of Health and Fitness by Phil Maffetone. He's not particularly low carb or paleo but he comes really super close to both. Anyway, he encourages his patients to do a two week trial that is very low carb to test if they are carb intolerant. He says so many times people will tell him after the 2 weeks that they feel like a new person or they feel young again. I was thinking about that yesterday and it's like for me, it's like being young for the first time.

If only our enthusiasm and feelings of health could be transferred directly into the brains of our loved ones who are skeptical. Then they could see. Sigh...
    They will see us glowing and say, "I want some of that too".

meeme is offline Senior Member

+3!! If only...I'm trying to help my son right now and he's not willing to give up his grains...but at least I'm fixing his meals now and he has agreed to stop snacking for two weeks whilst we do this. We'll see.

I've been tracking and getting the fat up is a challenge...My carbs are too high, protein is good but fat is low. I have to figure out what else I can eat today...but I'm working at it. I love this thread.

Good news was that I saw my Doc and I'm down from 167 to 159...woot!! He also said he didn't need to see me for a year...this is a good thing!

Thanks PB for all your help.

gempdx44 is offline Member
    So, I'm into Day 5 of my "eat more fat but back off the protein" experiment. Been tracking in My Fitness Pal and my averages look like this:

1360 calories a day
    80g Fat
    80g Carb
    80g Protein

Or, about a 50/25/25 ratio in terms of calories, overall. I tend to eat a little higher in carbs on workout days and lower on non-workout days just naturally.

I realize that for some of you this still isn't a lot of fat, but it's a huge jump for me as I was around 30-40% before.

I've been trying to stick around 1400 calories for a slow and steady weight loss, but was finding it nearly impossible with the lower fat levels. But by bumping the fat up this week, I have felt much more satisfied and have had plenty of energy for my strength training and HIIT.

I still have about 10 pounds of fat to lose before I reach HSIS, but it's been a struggle. I've been ping-ponging between 149-154 for 4 months now. I will be interested to see if this can get the fat loss started again!
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Tomi, i LOVE reading posts like this.... fantastic!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the lower protein thing too. A few months back I started buying up tons of chicken breast to significantly increase the protein, but nowadays I am just normalizing the ratios back with nuts as the fat due to cravings. I think I will go back to eating fattier cuts, and hopefully it'll eliminate my cravings for both nuts and chocolate again.

Page 25 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast