Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 24

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The thing that helped me the most with the chin up and pull up was weighted negatives. I started with 5 lb plate (I loked like an idiot), and then went to 10 lbs plate. By the time I could do 12 30 sec negatives with 10 lbs plate, was when I first did full chin-up. Pull-up took longer since my tricep was never the super-star. Don't be afraid, think about one of the best thrills you gonna get in life. I still get it every time my chin flies over that bar! Chin and pull-up is a no-nonsense achievement.

Wow, those some sweet numbers!!! I can't even dream of the BP with the biggest plate 115 lbs is my wildest fantasy You are super-talented!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Haha, thanks. I also have a finger injury right now after going bowling, so I won't be making any gains these next few weeks, for sure. As of right now my max is 265x1, but I am aiming for 2x bodyweight by the end of the year, which means probably losing another 10 lbs to 140 and increasing my DL to 280. Since I started seriously doing deadlifts in March, for which my 1rm was 230-235, I am getting pretty anxious xD
    I just glanced at your journal, I am guessing you are still in your twenties? Now I'm really jealous. You are getting such a great head start with healthy eating and exercising. I spent my twenties, thirties, and the first half of my forties eating a "healthy whole grains" diet and doing chronic cardio and wondering why my weight kept going up and I always looked puffy!
    Thank goodness for Paleo/Primal and weightlifting - honestly, without these two changes I would look a lot more like the average 45 year old woman I see around me - puffy and carrying an extra 30-40 pounds.
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The thing that helped me the most with the chin up and pull up was weighted negatives. I started with 5 lb plate (I loked like an idiot), and then went to 10 lbs plate. By the time I could do 12 30 sec negatives with 10 lbs plate, was when I first did full chin-up. Pull-up took longer since my tricep was never the super-star. Don't be afraid, think about one of the best thrills you gonna get in life. I still get it every time my chin flies over that bar! Chin and pull-up is a no-nonsense achievement.

Wow, those some sweet numbers!!! I can't even dream of the BP with the biggest plate 115 lbs is my wildest fantasy You are super-talented!
    Aw. Thank you! But I think YOU are the talented one. Right now I can bench 90-100 pounds but can't do a single pullup.
    Isn't it funny how we all develop strength differently? My trainer also claims I have strong legs for a gurl ...
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I'm 55, 5'2" (157.5cm), ~107lbs/48.5kg, I wear an American size 2 in most brands. I maintain with about 1500 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 50g carbs give or take. Does your size have any effect on how few grams of carbs you need to be in ketosis? I always have plenty of energy (a coworker told me I'm naturally caffeinated!)

I'm usually the one holding the camera so I don't have many pics of me, but hubby caught me by surprise in the backyard last weekend:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

New forum crush in 3, 2, 1
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Oxide, thanks for the tip about taking pictures of what I eat. This morning I started measuring and writing down what I eat. I'll have to experiment and see what method works best for me.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Aw. Thank you! But I think YOU are the talented one. Right now I can bench 90-100 pounds but can't do a single pullup.
    Isn't it funny how we all develop strength differently? My trainer also claims I have strong legs for a gurl ...
    Here is to meeting our goals! hhe, trust me, I did my share of hanging around that bar looking like a ragdoll, and making the whole jumping up and pulling up, and the negatives with the 5 lbs plate probably made the Top 10 funniest things in my gym. Chin-ups and pull-ups will come. It will click. In all likelihood, if your bench is this high, it is a body working together thing, rather than muscular strength. I am trying to line up the trainer, and didn't get a call back for 2 weeks, that's so infuriating! I really want someone to observe me and get a form check. With both OHP and BP I gained a few lbs on the lifts once I readjusted the form. Anyway, sorry to go chatting like that
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I spent my 20s looking like this

Funny thing is I used to have a racing bike back then and rode all the time.

So, regarding the whole HSIS method...

Wow, it is really super hard to eat that much fat! My target with the whole HSIS method is 108-162g and that's actually quite a challenge. I overdo it on protein, too. I know that PB's typical day is two meals, one very small more like a snack, and a bigger meal at dinner. My hat is off to you, PB, to be able to eat that much fat on so few meals. I can barely reach my target snarfing three meals a day and overdoing it on total calories.

What I wonder is if I can actually achieve these HSIS targets, will it actually help me lose weight. Only one way to find out. Oh man, do I gotta take my kitchen creativity to a whole new level...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    Naw, I agree with Leida; 135 is a really amazing to be able to hit. Right now mine are at 95 lbs (a decrease from 105 half a year ago).

Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    I just glanced at your journal, I am guessing you are still in your twenties? Now I'm really jealous. You are getting such a great head start with healthy eating and exercising. I spent my twenties, thirties, and the first half of my forties eating a "healthy whole grains" diet and doing chronic cardio and wondering why my weight kept going up and I always looked puffy!
    Thank goodness for Paleo/Primal and weightlifting - honestly, without these two changes I would look a lot more like the average 45 year old woman I see around me - puffy and carrying an extra 30-40 pounds.
    Haha thanks! I am noticing the puffy changes too - I only get puffy on days when I go bezerk on the fruit carbs - 400g or so. I guess I am pretty lucky. I think a lot of it has to do with putting my mom's diet into consideration. She used to harp on me for eating so much fiber from wheat products and question why I didn't want to eat the fat from the pork she always cooked with various vegetables. There was never that much junk in the house either - so I guess I"m coming full circle back to childhood days. If only she would see how beneficial lifting weights are now...

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Today's keto-ish breakfast:
    Four eggs cooked in mixed oils, drank oils from bowl - so yummy.
    One pound of bacon.

I realize this is a lot of protein, but I'm most likely only eating once today, so aside from that brief glucose spike I'll be burning fat for the next 23-ish hours.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
    ^this --- and......... my doctor is a Paleo preaching MD and crossfitter herself! I have hypothyroidism and am currently trying to find my sweet spot on Armour Thyroid. She has never told me there is any connection between VLC and thyroid issues. She fully supports my low carb lifestyle and encourages me to continue on. I'd say there is nothing to be concerned about. I shoot for 10% carbs.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast